PDA

View Full Version : New and confused

Matt
December 10th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Ok im new here and i just got my first set of runes and im extremely interested!!! i was wondering if you people have any tips for beginners no matter how small thanks abunch!

Haedis
December 10th, 2002, 04:41 PM
There's a "stuck" thread about runes at the top of this forum. Third item down. It has links to a bunch of rune related discussions. I dont know much about them so I cant be of further help.

Rick
December 10th, 2002, 06:05 PM
1. Study & practice...

2. study & practice...

3. study & practice...

... did I mention to study & practice? 8O

Start with sleeping with them under your pillow... read all Rune-related materials you can find (Principles of Runes by Freya Aswynn is good for beginners & vitki alike... Futhark by Edred Thorsson is required reading)... draw Runes with cheese-in-a-spray-can on crackers, & eat them, so as to 'ingest' the Runes... do as many 'practice' readings as you can...

Good Luck, & Happy Runing!!! :sunny:

Flar's Freyja
December 10th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Making my own set also helped me alot. You can paint them on stones, make them from clay or get creative and use other things. Meditating on their meanings and drawing or carving them really helped me get familiar with them.

Mnemosyne
December 10th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Welcome, Tellin Windglimmer! :) If you are have specific questions, there are loads of threads here on the runes. I totally recommend reading through some of them. Also, Rick and Freyja gave you some excellent advice about meditation and studying. Studying and practice is sooooooo good. It reminds me of the saying, "the more you reap, the more you sow." If you want to learn about the runes, you have to be willing to practice.

Flar's Freyja
December 10th, 2002, 09:10 PM
*nods* And don't be afraid to try to do readings.

Siarlas
December 10th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Hi Tellin! :wave:

I told you this would be a better place didn't I? Anyhows... like the others said, there are 'STUCK' threads at the top of the forum that could probably help and also you're not going to be able to instantly remember what each rune is. Lots of practice is the way to go.

*nods* And don't be afraid to try to do readings.
Apparently Tellin here has been having a try and found them to be rather accurate. He just recently acquired them and after posting in the wrong place (Bad Tellin! ;) ), I directed him here.

Rick
December 10th, 2002, 11:38 PM
http://www.irminsul.org/arc/017sg.html

Lavender
December 11th, 2002, 04:20 AM
In the immortal words of Rick the Runester..."Study & practice!" :p

One thing I found really useful was studying a rune a day. I would doodle the rune as I'm on the phone. I would think of how the meaning of the rune would apply to whatever I'm doing that day. I like combining them with my tarot cards sometimes when I'm doing readings.

One Eyed
December 11th, 2002, 02:59 PM
This thread also helped me a bit - bookmarked the site for now!