PDA

View Full Version : Meditation naturalists?

Omera
November 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Recently I found out I've always been able to meditate for short periods of time. Basically, rather than trying to focus on an object, I LET myself focus on it. Than everything starts to get surrounded by blurring and blackness. I haven't managed to hold it for longer than three seconds, but I believe throughout my life its been held for longer numerous times.

Astara Seague
December 5th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I think alot of people have been doing the same
they just arent really aware.. some call it spacing out

Dont worry about the length of time you are able to hold it as you practice more then you will find it comes easier and stays alot longer

~Belladonna~
December 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Some people are naturals when it comes to meditation and can go deep very quickly and stay in a meditative state for long periods of time, others can't and have to work at it. Either way, practice makes perfect and the more you practice the longer you'll be able to stay in a meditative state :)

Corvis Canis Latrans
December 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Recently I found out I've always been able to meditate for short periods of time. Basically, rather than trying to focus on an object, I LET myself focus on it. Than everything starts to get surrounded by blurring and blackness. I haven't managed to hold it for longer than three seconds, but I believe throughout my life its been held for longer numerous times.

That's an optical thing. When your eyes focus on an object without moving, the the eyes get used to the same sight (because your eyes aren't shifting about) and thus it starts to fade. Movement and stimulation is what keeps things "visible" as it were.

You'll lose it the moment you shift your eyes slightly, and sometimes the act of noticing things going black and blurry causes the eyes to shift instinctively. It's a hard motion to control.