PDA

View Full Version : What to wear with rather hippie-looking ethnic pants? (Besides tie-dye?)

brymble
November 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
I wasn't sure whether to post this in textiles or beauty & fashion.

OK, so I've gained weight and can't fit my big fat butt into my old jeans anymore. Desperate for pants and having no money, I did a search on the internet for free pants patterns, because I do have fabric/sheets lying around that can be turned into clothes. I found a jackpot of pants patterns, but many of them are ethnic: salwars (the authentic ethnic version of the "I-wore-these-in-the-80's-before-MC Hammer-made-them-popular-and-ruined-them" pants) Thai fisherman's pants, Indian and Japanese lounge pants that are like pajama pants, and harem pants, as we well as wrap pants (not really "ethnic" but often included on the costuming and free pattern pages on bellydance sites, which is a good place to find free exotic clothing patterns.)

I made some Thai fisherman's pants last night, out of some calico, and so of course they look kind of hippie. I'll be making plain red Thai pants, and either a salwar or harem pants out of this wonderful brown cotton crinkle gauze. Some of the patterns are authentic, but a lot of the fabric won't be, because quilting calico and solid color sheets are a lot of what I have to work with.

So what (besides tie-dye, which, believe it or not, even people like me get bored with after awhile) can one wear with calico or gauze ethnic pants? I'm finding no suggestion of what Thai fishermen wore with their pants! I've been looking for kurta patterns on the internet, and may end up modifying an SCA T-tunic. Any other suggestions? I kind of want to hide my belly, but the Thai pants have a panel that folds over and looks kind of nice so I don't want to hide that, either.

Suggestions would make me oh so happy! And if anyone knows where I can find a free kurta pattern, I'll be even happier!

HetHert
November 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Are you up for knitting or crocheting? Some nice shrug sweaters over tees or tanks (depending on climate) could be cute.

brymble
November 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
I don't know how to knit or crochet yet, but I know how to deconstruct a sweater for recycled yarn.

Lady Draven
November 23rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Look at this link
http://www.thefashionpolice.net/images/6a00d8341c873353ef011570e7d02f970c.jpg those kind of tops are ultra feminine and long...might be what you're looking for. I've worn that type of top (wish I knew what the name of them are) with my harem pants and hip belts when we dance at a place that wants our tummies covered.

HetHert
November 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
What about an empire waist line hankerchief top? Something like this but I'd alter it a bit...
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=33666580

brymble
November 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Are you up for knitting or crocheting? Some nice shrug sweaters over tees or tanks (depending on climate) could be cute.

Thinking more along the lines of a shrug - I can't knit myself, but I wonder if I could reconstruct a sweater to make something like this:

http://www.fitzpatterns.com/collections/free/products/0412-katia-shrug-sewing-pattern

and wear it over a black tee?

I like the handkercheif top, and could probably make it without a pattern. I'm a bit larger than I want to be, would it make me look bigger?

Lady Draven, that looks like a women's kurta. I've been looking for patterns for one, and may resort to modifying a T-tunic.

HetHert
November 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thinking more along the lines of a shrug - I can't knit myself, but I wonder if I could reconstruct a sweater to make something like this:

http://www.fitzpatterns.com/collections/free/products/0412-katia-shrug-sewing-pattern

Too cute. That's what I was picturing earlier when I asked if you knitted or crocheted. Recycling a sweater for the same effect should be fun!

Glowy
November 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM

I would say so. Black is your friend in Tee ot Tank form, keep it V-neck if possible ( more slimming that a boy T)

Lady Draven
November 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
This might be interesting for you to watch http://www.curbly.com/threadbanger/posts/4578-how-to-make-a-shrug-and-skirt-set-out-of-an-old-sweater

blithespirit
November 23rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/07/peasant-blouse.html

Here's a tutorial for a peasant blouse. I might have to try this one myself! I'm always trying to find something to wear with broom/patchwork/gypsy skirts. One can only do tie dye and Grateful Dead or Beatles or Zeppelin shirts for so long! :fpeace:

brymble
November 23rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
My ass is way too big for the skirt, but I love that shrug! I have a brown sweater that will look gorgeous as a shrug.

I have huge boobs. Will a shrug make them look bigger?:bug:

I'm thinking about making peach-colored drawstring pants to go with the brown shrug.

Lady Draven
November 23rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hey I think everyone's ass is too big for that skirt unless they are 12 years old lolol :smileroll but the shrug is way kewl...thinking I need to get out my tote of old sweaters and try it myself. I think it would look good big boobed or not. Might wanna dig out an old long sleeve t-shirt to test it on first though.

brymble
November 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
I think I have an old brooch of my Mom's that would look great with that shrug.

Lady Draven
November 23rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Awesome! :thumbsup: I'm glad you started this topic because I am getting all kinds of ideas for a steampunk outfit ... can wear a shrug over the corset top...awesomely awesome!

brymble
December 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I made the shrug!

I found a wonderful gold-colored lambswool-cotton blend Pierre Cardin sweater at Family's free store. It was just a little to short for me and had a turtleneck - I look awful in turtlenecks, so I cut the neck out and did the lettuce edge all the way around. I'm making harem pants to go with it. I'm still looking for that brooch, but if I can post a pic later (alas, probably much later) I will!

Lady Draven
December 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Awesome! I'd love to see a pic of it!

brymble
December 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I'll see if I can get one tomorrow. I'm wearing it now, it goes great with the grapevine-print wrap pants I made.

I cut out some more pants today. I had an old Indian tapestry that I love but is pretty much ruined, so I cut out another pair of wrap pants and a pair of lounge pants, which I still need to hem but am wearing anyway. I also cut a pair of harem pants out of this brown cotton I had lying around, those are going to be rather nice. I used French seams on the harem pants, and am adding a wide sash in the hopes of slimming my tummy, and tie cuffs at the ankles.

I love the shrug so much I may make another one. I have a felted sweater that wants to be turned into something.