PDA

View Full Version : Christians Can't Read Atheist Billboards.

Infinite Grey
November 24th, 2009, 05:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDhbgb2ZO8

EntwinedScylla
November 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM
The voice clips were ... disheartening. "We don't put up billboards saying you'll burn in hell" ... um, that'd be a lie. I've seen several in Oklahoma that say "Is it getting hot in here, or is it just you? - God".

The billboard asked a question, and had an "if yes" clause implied in it. "Don't believe in god? If so, you're not alone." That's not threatening, that's supportive. That's beautiful.

I've grown up in the Bible Belt of the US, and I am used to that sort of viewpoint. It's rooted in insecurity. There's a real insecurity to a lot of "fundimentally" religious people. I.e. the people who's entire existence is founded upon their religious beliefs, rather than supplimenting life with faith. I don't think it's the religion itself, it's the people. They taint what could otherwise be something -very- beautiful. They use it as a crutch to prop up a life where they would otherwise be accountable for their own shortcomings and failings.

Unfortunately, there are also Athiests who -do- want religion gone forever. That is also disheartening. Millitant disbelievers are no more correct than millitant believers, and make their situation just as shaky.

brymble
November 24th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I think aggressive, in-your-face atheists are just as obnoxious and rude as any other kind of fundamentalist. Why it it anyone's business, religious or not, what anyone else believes or doesn't believe? Seriously, man, that's just rude.

gwendar
November 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Crazy.
I really do not see a problem with the atheist signs. Well, most of them. I do understand how the one that says "Imagine No Religion" could be offensive, because some people cannot separate themselves from their religion, which is too bad, really.

Owd Scrat
November 30th, 2009, 02:51 AM
The voice clips were ... disheartening. "We don't put up billboards saying you'll burn in hell" ... um, that'd be a lie. I've seen several in Oklahoma that say "Is it getting hot in here, or is it just you? - God".

The billboard asked a question, and had an "if yes" clause implied in it. "Don't believe in god? If so, you're not alone." That's not threatening, that's supportive. That's beautiful.

I've grown up in the Bible Belt of the US, and I am used to that sort of viewpoint. It's rooted in insecurity. There's a real insecurity to a lot of "fundimentally" religious people. I.e. the people who's entire existence is founded upon their religious beliefs, rather than supplimenting life with faith. I don't think it's the religion itself, it's the people. They taint what could otherwise be something -very- beautiful. They use it as a crutch to prop up a life where they would otherwise be accountable for their own shortcomings and failings.

Unfortunately, there are also Athiests who -do- want religion gone forever. That is also disheartening. Millitant disbelievers are no more correct than millitant believers, and make their situation just as shaky.

Beautiful, eloquent post. Thanks for sharing it!

Infinite Grey
November 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I think aggressive, in-your-face atheists are just as obnoxious and rude as any other kind of fundamentalist. Why it it anyone's business, religious or not, what anyone else believes or doesn't believe? Seriously, man, that's just rude.

Mmmmkay - someone has a bee in their bonnet.

Nicholas
November 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I disagree I would take militant atheism over militant religious affiliation any day. I think it would solve a lot of issues.

-Day dreams of a perfect Atheist world.-