PDA

View Full Version : Christian Witchcraft is a way to make prayer physical?

winter rose
November 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Does anyone else think this about Christian Witchcraft? That the ritual and spellcraft is a way to channel God's energy to make prayer more concrete, rather than just a silent offering?

Rosetta Morrigan
December 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM
Agreed. Ritual is "prayer with props".

David19
December 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm not a Christian Witch, but, I don't think prayer and magic are the same at all, prayer is to a Higher Power, whether it's a God, Angel, Saint, Ancestor, or whoever, magic is, IMO, using your own will and power (and/or, maybe, the power around you) to create changes in the world/universe around you, or in yourself, or developing magical abilities.

Caitlin.ann
December 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
I think its whatever you consider it. Earlier in my pagan practice I considered magic(k) to not work without my deity's consent. From what I understanding from other posters they basically feel the same way but their particular deity is Yeshua or YHWH. So it is similar to prayer in that its petitioning your deity for help and without said deity's help the magic(k) won't work.

winter rose
December 1st, 2009, 11:51 PM
I think its whatever you consider it. Earlier in my pagan practice I considered magic(k) to not work without my deity's consent. From what I understanding from other posters they basically feel the same way but their particular deity is Yeshua or YHWH. So it is similar to prayer in that its petitioning your deity for help and without said deity's help the magic(k) won't work.

That's how I've come to understand it, too. Thanks for affirming!

PaganSpirit
December 2nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
Here's the way I generally see it. Prayer is, by definition, communication with your god(s). You can use it to ask for help in certain matters, or just to give praise or thanks, etc. Basically taking time out of the day to commune with the Higher Power.
Magick, on the other hand, is asserting your will to tap into certain forces (could be an inner power, probably more often than not it's something divine, IMO) in order to create a particular change in the current reality.

winter rose
December 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Here's the way I generally see it. Prayer is, by definition, communication with your god(s). You can use it to ask for help in certain matters, or just to give praise or thanks, etc. Basically taking time out of the day to commune with the Higher Power.
Magick, on the other hand, is asserting your will to tap into certain forces (could be an inner power, probably more often than not it's something divine, IMO) in order to create a particular change in the current reality.

Agreed, with a minor change. As a Christian witch, I agree with your definition of magick, but I extend it one step furhter. I tap into God's energy to create the possibility of change, but then it is up to him to carry out the deed. I think that's how it works for me, anyway.

PaganSpirit
December 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Agreed, with a minor change. As a Christian witch, I agree with your definition of magick, but I extend it one step furhter. I tap into God's energy to create the possibility of change, but then it is up to him to carry out the deed. I think that's how it works for me, anyway.

In that case, I would say you are indeed using magick as a method of prayer. :thumbsup:

David19
December 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM

QFT, that's similar to my definition as well :).

Cloaked Raven
December 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I agree. :) Good post. :thumbsup:

Maggie-in-the-Mead
November 2nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Joining those in their appreciation for this post.

NightPoet00
December 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM

I like this! And I agree.