PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age: Origins

Lokabrenna
November 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I'm not usually this obsessed with a game, but I somehow found myself buying the Collector's Edition and the strategy guide.

I love this game so much!

I play a lot of RPGs, one of my favourites is "The Witcher" (which helped inspire this game, or so I'm told) and this game is probably my new favourite. I think they could have done something a little more original with regards to religion (Andraste is basically Jesus + Joan of Arc) but that's probably my only quibble with this game.

I've already beaten it once and have started a second game already. I love how your choices actually affect in-game events (it's not just a matter of which Infinity +1 sword you get, a decision you make at the very beginning can come back to bite you).

Has anyone else played this game?

fire child
December 1st, 2009, 01:56 AM
I've been playing it for a bit.. I don't have alot of time to play but i got somewhat far. I love it so far also ^^

Lokabrenna
December 1st, 2009, 02:18 AM
I introduced my friend to this game and right after beating it the first time she started a second game.

Also: I <3 ALISTAIR! *fangirl squees*

I'm sorry, I just had to say that. :D

Tiberias
December 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
I've been considering buying Dragon Age - the only reason I haven't is that I'm not sure I want to spend the money for a game that will probably run poorly on my system.

How does it compare to previous Bioware RPGs like Baldur's Gate II or Icewind Dale?

Phoenix Blue
December 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
I've enjoyed it, but it gets unplayable after a couple of hours on my system thanks to a memory leak. Hopefully there'll be a patch out to address that soon.

Lokabrenna
December 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM
I've been considering buying Dragon Age - the only reason I haven't is that I'm not sure I want to spend the money for a game that will probably run poorly on my system.

How does it compare to previous Bioware RPGs like Baldur's Gate II or Icewind Dale?

I haven't played either of those games, but from what I've read (practically every review of the game), if you like either of those games, you'll like this one. Heck, if you like RPGs in general, buy this game!

I'm not just saying that because I like RPGs either, the game is that good. I think it's worth it for the party banter alone (some of the exchanges you hear between party members are hilarious).

Simply Iris
July 3rd, 2010, 11:29 PM
Same here. I'm completely addicted to DA:O.

But I hate the Fade. I keep getting my ass kicked.

blithespirit
July 3rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
My husband and I have been taking turns playing it. I am very much in love with this game.

onyxkatze
July 4th, 2010, 02:24 PM
i adore dragon age, and i definitely went through an alistair phase... for a fictional person, he's pretty foxy and adorable! i've played the game multiple times and my female characters always fall for alistair (i swear i have no control over this... *cough*).

i actually really enjoy the fade and all the forms you get to take while you're there. woo, fun!! it's the deep roads that always frustrate me... they go on forever and ever.

blithespirit
July 11th, 2010, 01:24 AM
SPOILER

Ok, I'm near the end of my first playthrough as a female elf Mage. I've had a thing going with Alistair for most of the game. We went to the Landsmeet, I put him on the throne of Ferelden, and HE DUMPED ME. It was the whole "I have to marry a noble human and have babies" excuse. I swear, I've gotten too attached to this game. The break-up almost felt real--I had that kicked in the stomach feeling that happens in such situations. I could have stayed on as his mistress, but screw that noise. So, I reloaded and gave the crown to Anora instead. I know what's probably coming up with Morrigan, and I have no problems with that. I just wouldn't be able to play the rest of the game with his ungrateful ass if he dumped me, and he's got the best gear and stats of anyone else!

Bioware owns my soul.

onyxkatze
July 13th, 2010, 02:25 AM
SPOILRIFFIC RESPONSE TO SPOILER

Ok, I'm near the end of my first playthrough as a female elf Mage. I've had a thing going with Alistair for most of the game. We went to the Landsmeet, I put him on the throne of Ferelden, and HE DUMPED ME. It was the whole "I have to marry a noble human and have babies" excuse. I swear, I've gotten too attached to this game. The break-up almost felt real--I had that kicked in the stomach feeling that happens in such situations. I could have stayed on as his mistress, but screw that noise. So, I reloaded and gave the crown to Anora instead. I know what's probably coming up with Morrigan, and I have no problems with that. I just wouldn't be able to play the rest of the game with his ungrateful ass if he dumped me, and he's got the best gear and stats of anyone else!

Bioware owns my soul.

basically, you either have to give anora the throne and promise to rebuild the gray wardens with alistair, or you have to get him to not care what anyone else thinks. to do the first option, you pretty much have to kill loghain -- he'll leave if you let loghain join, but anora will call for alistair's execution and you have to change her mind. it's complicated.

you know what else is annoying?
character: so where do you see this going?
alistair: this isn't the right time to talk about it, blah blah blah.

it's also really sad when you break up with one of them -- you actually feel kind of bad afterward.
dragon age relationships run deep!

blithespirit
July 14th, 2010, 08:02 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/729622531_L2biL-L.jpg

tobi
August 31st, 2010, 11:36 AM
I played the heck out of this game, acquiring all Trophies and such. I'm still working on two of the tree Trophies for Golems of Angarrak, and I'm really looking forward to the final DLC Witch Hunt. Then we'll just have to sit tight until March 2011 for Dragon Age 2.

Simply Iris
September 7th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I'm downloading Witch Hunt right now! :)

tobi
September 7th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Gyaa! I have to wait until I get paid on Friday. From the trailer, it seems that the mirror in the Dalish Elf quest makes a come-back, which is pretty intriguing.

blithespirit
September 8th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I am also downloading it right now. Well, it's in the queue after Lair of the Shadowbroker. (Mass Effect 2 DLC.) Bioware is evil. They just had to release both of them today! Now I can't decide which to play first. I'm dying to know what happens in Witch Hunt, but I'm apprehensive, because it just seems so final.