PDA

View Full Version : Non-Theistic and Spiritual

David19
December 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
I was just wondering, how many Non-Theists are here that also define themselves as Spiritual, and, if you do, what does spirituality mean to you, if you don't mind me asking?.

For myself, I wouldn't say I'm Non-Theistic, right now, I really don't know what label belongs to me, but, I'd just define myself as spiritual. I'd define spirituality as connecting with something greater than yourself, whatever that is for you (whether it's God/Gods/the universe/Nature/"The Force"/even humanity at large/whatever/etc), and, also, maybe, using practices that make you calmer, give you a sense of inner peace, etc. There's other things I'd add to my own definition, but, I need to really work them out first.

While I said, I'm Non-Theistic, I do like a Carl Sagan quote that I read here on MW (I think it was IG who posted it) that we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out, it's definitely made me a lot more interested in learning about Carl Sagan

Anyway, what about you?.

Infinite Grey
December 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
Yes I would say I am spiritual, but I rarely if ever call myself spiritual as I do not like the assumptions people make when they hear that term.

My spirituality is really just descriptor for a range of a emotions that are inspired in me when I contemplate the universe and humanity's role in it. In much the same fashion in which Carl Sagan articulated his love of the universe and exploring it.

"The cosmos is also within us, we are made of star stuff, we are a way for the cosmos to know its self" Carl Sagan.

Shanti
December 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM
My nut shell thougths...

There is physical and metaphysical. Just like everything one cant be without the other.

All I know is for me, no supreme deity is anywhere and just an invention of people because they fear what they dont know and seek comfort and non-accountability thus creating deity of various flavors.

As for the more primal type man, he/she was just under-educated and didnt know lightening wasnt a god but an energy force.

I am spiritual and what that means I can not just explain. For one its an very generalized term.
Its just who I am in many aspects but no deity is a reality, for me.

Aeon Flux
December 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM
I am not a theist and definitely spiritual in many ways, some more Buddhist than others.

Ultimately spirituality for me is things that nourish our mind and intellect on a more abstract level.
Carl Sagan's way of speaking about the Cosmos in poetry is very spiritual to me. Meditation, music, art, subtle shifts and nuances in everyday life... all are spiritual to me.

My disbelief in deities and gods as entities does nothing to diminish my spirituality or amazement and respect for the world, quite frankly it's done the complete opposite.
I feel more connected and in touch with myself, more empowered, more everything....

Carl Sagan's work is a brilliant example of how spiritual non-theism and scientific theories can be.:hahugh:

MoonBreath
December 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I still consider myself to be a spiritual person. Like others have said, my spirituality is made up of a sincere wonder at the vastness of the world, the way the natural world functions and what not. Books, fiction and nonfiction, poetry, music, artwork(including design in clothing)/artifacts, study of humanity's past, theatre productions of all kinds, things like these can move me in spiritual ways. Also certain religious and philosophical teachings/ideas can move me as well.

Also in regards to the gods, i'm more agnostic about their existance, and they still hold some meaning for me, in the sense that i appreciate them as archetypes and symbols, what they represent.