PDA

View Full Version : Scrap fabric - gift idea

Rhianna813
December 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Found a use for small scraps of fabric, that can be made into an inexpensive holiday gift!

Pocket warmers filled with flax seeds or rice. I used 4.5 inch square fabrics sewn with a inch allowence. Fill with seeds or rice (about 1 cup per warmer) and sewn shut. You could also add dried lavender for a nice smell.

2 per gift and they can be warmed for 20-30 seconds in the microwave. They can also be warmed in the dryer and probably in the oven too. Once warmed add them to your coat pockets to help keep your hands warm when you are outside. Not sure how long the heat will last. But this is a natural option to those commercial ones.

I liked that I could use some CUTE smaller fabric scraps I had been saving, I think these will make nice holiday gifts for both men and women.

Rhianna

Lady Draven
December 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I love your idea! Now I'm gonna go through my scraps and see if I can make some of these...thanks!

Flaire-FireStar
December 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Oh that's a cute idea Rhianna813! :) I have lots of scraps

brymble
December 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
In one of my painting classes the prof told us to use baked potatoes in our pockets for warming hands while painting en plein air. (And then eat the potato for lunch before packing up the easle and going home!) Not sure if these will stay warm as long as a potato but I bet these are much prettier!

Other uses of small scraps for gifts:

Crazy quilts (my aunt made these for everybody) That's if you have a lot of small, odd-shaped scraps. Every baby born in the family got at least one of these precious quilts.

Bean bags (for children) or soft weights (for sewers/designers.) They're pretty much the same thing as the hand warmers, only filled with lentils or peas and not nuked. I believe it was Craftster? that had a charming designer's soft weight project made from scraps of old tape measured stitched together.

Wreathe - make with small strips of bias-cut fabric or leftover ribbon. Make a loop with coathanger wire. Tie the strips onto the wire, pushing them close together, until the loop is full and you have a wreathe. You can also use strips of recycled plastic bags. Clear produce bags will have a "frosty" effect, white plastic will look fluffy and snowy. (Mom used to help us make the clear and white ones for teacher gifts when I was a kid.) I suppose you could use black plastic garbage bags for a shiny Goth look, or as a Samhain wreathe.

Drawer sachets - make as for hand warmers/bean bags, but fill entirely with aromatic herbs: sage, lavender, cedar shavings, rose petals, rosemary, basil, peppermint, etc. Set of 3 or 4 for a gift, stack and tie with festive ribbon.

Rhianna813
December 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM
One more tip I got from a friend. Cherry pits can be used to fill the hand warmers. They retain heat very well. Just wash and dry the pits before use.

I always like finding a use for something you'd otherwise toss out.

Rhianna

watersprite
December 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
These are fabulous re-use recycle projects. I am saving the smallest scraps for a crazy quilt wall hanging. It will go on a north wall for added insulation in this old house. The larger ones I am using to make a cover for the hot water bottle for my bed. They are lovely bed warmers. I have made sachets for every drawer and closet in the house. They are working SO well.
The hand warmer idea is wonderful! It will warm your pockets and keep your hands warm.