PDA

View Full Version : Easy, adorable No-Sew Tutus!

halfwaynowhere
December 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
So my sister and I have been busy making tutus for some little girls we know for christmas. They are great for dress up, really easy to make, and absolutely adorable.

Here is a video I found on youtube that makes them similar to the way we do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7aSPMEn7S0

What we do different:
We like to use elastic, and stitch the ends together, so its one continuous tutu. The ribbon is nice because of the bow, but the elastic isn't going to get tangled up from little girls learning to tie knots. We use 1 inch non-roll elastic.

Instead of buying the tulle by the yard, you can often find it on spools that are about 6" wide. We take a piece of cardboard or something the length we want the tutus to be, then just wrap the tulle around, and cut.

For poofier tutus, holding two pieces of tulle together works great. If the two pieces are the same color, it really makes the colors pop. Using one piece at a time gives more subtle color transitions.

Unfortunately, my sister wrapped the tutus before I could get pictures, or else I'd post them here.

Anyways, they turn out really cute, are super easy to make, and inexpensive. Just wanted to share, as they make great gifts!

TheWomanMonster
December 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Cute!
I think I'll have to make myself one in black and neon green.
:smile:

Lady Draven
December 20th, 2009, 08:18 PM
wow! there are other videos on youtube next to this one with great ideas too...looking like my next project for a bustle for our steampunk choreo in my bellydance troupe. Thanks lots for posting this :thumbsup:

Chicory_Witch
December 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
How cute, now I'll just have to wait for my little cousin to get old enough to wear one. :hahugh:

halfwaynowhere
December 21st, 2009, 02:33 AM
I made 5 the other day- blue/yellow, pink/orange, purple/black, yellow/black, and blue/pink/orange/purple.

The first three were opened today, and the girls liked them, but since they were the first of many gifts open, the girls were a bit distracted by the huge pile of presents we brought over. Still, they seemed really excited when we said they were for dress-up, and the girls will probably wear them to Disneyland sometime soon (they live super close, so go all the time).