PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when you're centered and grounded?

winter rose
December 26th, 2009, 12:02 AM
How do I know when I'm centered and when I'm grounded? What am I supposed to feel like?
I'm still struggling with these basic practices. :help:

Xander67
December 26th, 2009, 12:13 AM
It is sorta like being back in the here and now type thing. It s when you focus your attention/awareness back to your body and the place where you were doing whatever it is you were doing. Also it is meant to send any excess energy raised back down through the soles of your feet into the ground.

winter rose
December 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks! You're the best! Your posts are always helpful.

Xander67
December 26th, 2009, 12:20 AM
you're welcome! and thank you :hugz:
Merry Christmas!!

monsnoleedra
December 26th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I'll probally be in the minority here but then again that is normal for me. he he he

I think the notion of being centered and grounded is sort of a misnomer. The reason I say that is because to me it is not just a centeral state that one achieves but more like a range of possible stages or levels one may achieve.

I find for me when I am trully centered and ground I am at a point where I do not feel my breath moving down my body. If just is and seems to fill me from my throat to a deep spot in my stomach and it all moves as one. Each breathe pulled in seems to pull from every part of my body towards the center mass and each exhaul pushes outward through every limb. In some ways it feels like a warm current that flows and ebbs through my body that matches my breathing and pulse. My pulse usually seem's to slow down and becomes very pronounced in my ears but the beat is so slow that it is almost a minor rythmic drumming. I also find that my "Spirit" body tends to feel long and elongated with a great splinter that sinks far beneath me like a tree's tap root deep into the ground.

The above is what I think of as my best balanced position and that which I strive for when I try to balance and center.

Yet I maybe balanced and centered but only achieve one or some of the above conditions. I might be to the point were my pulse seem's slow but my skin itches and is on fire as it races up and down the surface. Yet I am at a balanced point and the physical sensation is the surface receptors being fully active and feeding to my body.

The same might occur where I am cold and clamy and the surface seem's "dead" and unresponsive. Yet the core feels hot and I almost feel as if each exhaul is a burning mass of flame and steam. Yet I associate that with different alignments of my bodies chakra wheels.

As you can see to me there is no "One" answer to explain just what it is. Teh most significant thing is that one has to know thier own body and feel the tension slip away from it and the energy start to push and flow through not only the core of the body but also pulsate through out the whole thing. Then change the variables to match what energy you are usuing or the rythmic cycling of breath, heartbeat and location of awareness.

Hope that helps.

BenSt
December 26th, 2009, 12:45 AM
This is a great question... I think it's different for everyone.

I find when I'm grounded and centered is when I don't have nervousness or nausea (butterflies) from nervousness. I'm also very focussed and my body is relaxed and not tense. I also sometimes have a feeling in my stomach, kind of like butterflies, but also lik the restful feeling when you yawn, you know? That good feeling that you just crave and want, if that makes sense haha.

Lunacie
December 26th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I think MonSno is right about the breathing part. One of the most common exercises recommended for centering oneself is to start by taking three deep breaths, releasing tension and concerns with the exhale. After practicing this for as many years as I have, all I have to do is take a couple of deep breaths in preparation for meditation or spellwork and my body responds by centering.

Grounding also takes a bit of practice but then it becomes second nature. Reach down with your senses, deep into the earth, down into the core of the earth where the energy is really concentrated. Some people use a visualization of roots extending from their body (generally the soles of their feet) down into the ground. Again there is a release of tension and worldly concerns, and there is a circuit established where we take in fresh new energy, pulling it into ourselves through those roots.

Something I find equally important - possibly because I'm a rather grounded person in general, something of an "earth mother" - is to also connect with the cosmos, the universe, the divine spirit. This is done by visualizing white or gold light pouring down over your body, most concentrated on the top of your skull, the "crown chakra", so that it flows over you in a shower of light and it also pours into you, bringing you energy that feels different from earth energy. These two energies mingle in your solar plexus, your center, and is another way of centering oneself.

Aernfridh
December 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Thank you!! I was having problems with this also.:thumbsup:

Astara Seague
December 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I agree its different for everyone
but I agree most closly with Lunacies explanation
for me when Im grounded and balanced, I feel secure and complete

Rae'ya
December 27th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I think, as others have said, that not everyone feels the same things when centering or grounding. Some seem to have more tangible experiences while for others it's more subtle. Just because you don't feel something profound and obvious doesn't mean that you aren't doing it right or experiencing it.

For me, when I centre I feel still and calm... I can feel the energy moving within me, my body tingles with it, but I am a still, focused point somewhere above my solar plexus. There's a concentrated point there like a little knot, which the tingling in my body swirls around, and my mind is still and calm. Thoughts drop away, I'm aware of what's going on around me (in a normal sort of way, not more or less defined or anything like that) but I'm more focused within myself.

When I ground I feel more solid and relaxed. I'm not sure if I define 'grounding' a little differently to most, but for me grounding is what much as Xander said - it's what you do after your working or if you're feeling a bit spacey and lightheaded (I get this after being in large crowds if I don't consciously ground throughout). So for me, feeling grounded is more like an absence of the spacey, lightheadedness. Grounding is feeling more normal, solid, and physical. There's not much that separates it from my normal everyday state, to be honest.

What Lunacie describes as grounding... the reaching down into the ground and drawing energy up from it... I consider that more of an energising thing, and I don't call that 'grounding'. But this is what I see most people referring to when they talk about grounding and centering. I do this exercise as a two part thing... I reach down into the earth and draw energy up, then I reach into the sky and draw energy down, and channel the two up and down my body, letting them swirl and mix within me. When I do this, I feel very much alive and invigorated... I feel the energy moving around my body, sometimes gently ebbing and flowing with each breath, sometimes swelling within my chest and crashing through my limbs. I also tap into storm energy and the like in the same way... feeling it thrumming and crackling through me. But even when it's just normal earth and sky, it's an energising, invigorating thing, which I personally find quite a different sensation to what I consider grounding. This is much more tangible and sensory, whereas grounding is what I do to send it all back into the earth and come back to normal everyday mundane feeling.

Chicory_Witch
December 27th, 2009, 03:42 AM
When the third prong is in the outlet and the bubble in the level is in the lines. Sorry, grounding and centering joke. :smileroll

Mon'Sno and Rae'ya have answered beautifully.

meowmeow
December 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I feel stable and self-confident. I feel very aware and a small sense of ecstasy.

Hope that helps.

Windsmith
December 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM
When I'm grounded and centered, I feel a bit denser. Weightier. Also, and I'm not sure how to say this exactly right, but basically, I feel like my consciousness moves from my head into my abdomen.

Polypseudonymous Rex
January 14th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I think a lot of people think of this as a beginner's topic. It shouldn't be. I mean, I do think it's one of the first things people should learn. But we should keep re-examining the process. Some people have to search to find the best way. Sometimes the best way depends on how you feel or the situation you're in.

I agree it won't be the same from person to person, or even from experience to experience. But I'm guessing there are some things most would agree don't constitute being centered and grounded. I can't imagine being terrified or having racing thoughts or feeling muscle tension when I'm centered and grounded.

We often talk about being both centered and grounded as if they were one state, probably because of some shared properties and the fact that we so often do them together. I think of being centered as being in the here-and-now, without focusing on worries or other aspects of personality. I think of being grounded as being rooted. I have established an anchor in my immediate physical consciousness (some people would call this "physical reality", but I'm more of a relativist than that). I also cleanse my energy whenever I center and ground, so that's become part of my process.

Ok. I know I'm about to embark from physical reality, from primary rootedness, into an altered state of consciousness. Centering and grounding seem contradictory to that purpose. But an anchor helps define the journey I'm about to undertake. It gives me a point of embarkation, a point of reference, for my travels; we don't think of home towns much when we travel, but we need them to be there.

The medium of the journey, and the goal of centering and grounding, is altered consciousness. We move from waking beta state into a state of consciousness centered around alpha waves or lower. Thought becomes slower, but exponentially more effective. Sure, we can surf these waves without being grounded and centered first (or maybe we just don't know that's what we're doing, as when various sleep states center and ground us before we embark into dreams). But I prefer to begin my journey from a safe port.

My problem, of course, is that I don't like to center and ground (and cleanse) again when I'm done and have returned to my physical body. I make myself do it because I know that's what's best for me in the long run, but I do it reluctantly. I'm probably addicted to altered states of consciousness, but can that really be such a bad thing?

Kalika
February 25th, 2010, 09:51 PM
For me, it is when I feel centered and in control. What I mean by feeling centered is that I am aware of my body, my breathing, my being, and that is my focus of concentration. I become less aware of the outside when I am going through this process, and when I am most aware of self is when I know that I am centered and ready to move into my active meditation.

Winter_Witch
February 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
This is very interesting, and I enjoy reading other's reactions.

As for me, I feel completely relaxed and halfway into another "state", but still aware of the present world and situation at hand. My feet feel very firm to the floor/carpet/what-have-you.

Blessings, Jeanine:hyper:

Twilight Siren
April 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM
. . .
I find for me when I am trully centered and ground I am at a point where I do not feel my breath moving down my body. If just is and seems to fill me from my throat to a deep spot in my stomach and it all moves as one. Each breathe pulled in seems to pull from every part of my body towards the center mass and each exhaul pushes outward through every limb. In some ways it feels like a warm current that flows and ebbs through my body that matches my breathing and pulse. My pulse usually seem's to slow down and becomes very pronounced in my ears but the beat is so slow that it is almost a minor rythmic drumming. I also find that my "Spirit" body tends to feel long and elongated with a great splinter that sinks far beneath me like a tree's tap root deep into the ground.

The above is what I think of as my best balanced position and that which I strive for when I try to balance and center.
. . . ..
As you can see to me there is no "One" answer to explain just what it is. Teh most significant thing is that one has to know thier own body and feel the tension slip away from it and the energy start to push and flow through not only the core of the body but also pulsate through out the whole thing. Then change the variables to match what energy you are usuing or the rythmic cycling of breath, heartbeat and location of awareness.. . .

always such great descriptiveness from you! I think that your ability to describe it so vividly probably comes from your degree (or assumed degree, since I don't know you personally) of experience. Nobody, of course, will experience the same thing in the exact same way though.

I think a lot of people think of this as a beginner's topic. It shouldn't be. I mean, I do think it's one of the first things people should learn. But we should keep re-examining the process. Some people have to search to find the best way. Sometimes the best way depends on how you feel or the situation you're in.

I agree it won't be the same from person to person, or even from experience to experience. But I'm guessing there are some things most would agree don't constitute being centered and grounded. I can't imagine being terrified or having racing thoughts or feeling muscle tension when I'm centered and grounded.

We often talk about being both centered and grounded as if they were one state, probably because of some shared properties and the fact that we so often do them together. I think of being centered as being in the here-and-now, without focusing on worries or other aspects of personality. I think of being grounded as being rooted. I have established an anchor in my immediate physical consciousness (some people would call this "physical reality", but I'm more of a relativist than that). I also cleanse my energy whenever I center and ground, so that's become part of my process.
. . . .
The medium of the journey, and the goal of centering and grounding, is altered consciousness. We move from waking beta state into a state of consciousness centered around alpha waves or lower. Thought becomes slower, but exponentially more effective. Sure, we can surf these waves without being grounded and centered first (or maybe we just don't know that's what we're doing, as when various sleep states center and ground us before we embark into dreams). But I prefer to begin my journey from a safe port.

My problem, of course, is that I don't like to center and ground (and cleanse) again when I'm done and have returned to my physical body. I make myself do it because I know that's what's best for me in the long run, but I do it reluctantly. I'm probably addicted to altered states of consciousness, but can that really be such a bad thing?

All very good things to keep in mind, I think!

IanCorrigan
April 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
How do I know when I'm centered and when I'm grounded? What am I supposed to feel like?
I'm still struggling with these basic practices. :help:

I see 'grounding and centering' as referring to a couple of things.
"Grounding' is connecting your own body/energy/spirit with a greater and external source of 'energy'. (we'll just skip discussion of what this 'energy' is, and work with the metaphor) grounding exercises are meant to connect the individual with the power of the earth, or some other conception of where 'the juice' comes from. The system I work in uses both earth and sky, dark and light energies, placing the individual in balance between them. By drawing on this greater source of energy one restores one's own energy, and avoids trying to do magic with nothing but your own self-generated power. Also, if one becomes 'overloaded' with 'energy' then this connection balances it out, 'grounding' it like an electrical charge.

That balance-between thing is one kind of 'centering' - being balanced between earth and sky. More internally I think of 'centering' as running energy through the main channels of power in the body/spirit. Many methods think of the main channel as being along the spinal cord, so one moves energy through one's center, bringing the self into harmoney and balance internally as well.

So, how do you know? You know when you can feel it convincingly. We begin by doing this with the imagination - 'feeling' the 'flow of energy'. At first this will require consistent effort, and frequest afforts to remember and restore the visualization (or whatever you call generating feelings in the body). Eventually it will become second-nature, and you'll asociate it with feelings of poise, alertness, detachment and power.

AlAskendir
September 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
...you aren't thinking about or feeling about any time except right now. You aren't remembering anything. You whole attention is on this moment, and this moment seems to stretch itself longer and longer. You feel all of your senses (even the psychic ones) "check in". You can't get bored because you aren't anticipating anything, you are totally mindful of THIS MOMENT. Your internal energies are excellently, dynamically balanced. You are ready for anything, particularly anything that involves both your physical body and your other bodies, and/or the physical reality around you and the metaphysical potentials.

When you are centered, the center of your perception moves down out of your head to your actual, physical center. Things you see and interact with face-to-face become somewhat distant and less important. Things you feel and intuit become immediate and more important. Your state of consciousness changes from hyper, anxious, and questioning (Beta Brainwaves), to relaxed, serene-secure, and knowing (Alpha Brainwaves).

Some people have been taught to ground by doing some variety of the "Fountain" technique. The Fountain includes grounding, but then goes a bit farther; it has 6 basic steps = 1) pull sky energy down into you, thru your chakra-s; 2) move that sky energy and all of your energies, memories, reactions, etc down into the ground thru psychic-imagined 'roots' (this is the grounding part); 3) contact ...Gaea... within the center of the Earth (tends to have a centering effect on you), and feel it as contact with Her "flips the sky-energy's polarity" and sends it rushing straight back up to you (now it is Earth-energy); 4) feel that energy come straight up thru you, energizing your chakra-s in the other direction, burst forth from your crown chakra and rain down all around you (to mimic Earth's magnetic field); 5) cycle the Earth-energy thru your aura over and over, faster and faster (psychically 'magnetizing' you), and finally 6) blast it back up into the sky to balance out the sky-energy that you originally 'borrowed'.