PDA

View Full Version : TTC after BC

Mama J
January 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM
My hubby and I are thinking about TTC next year after our first starts Kindergarden. I was wondering does anyone know anything about doing so after being on birth control for nearly five years? I've read up on it some, but I've heard it could take years to actually get pregnant or if I conceive in the first month off there is a higher chance of twins...just trying to get a better feel for what I am up against. Thanks in advance!

Monkey1212
January 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
It depends on the type of BC you were on. I was told it could take up to 3 months for the hormones in hormonal BC to get out of your system. But it also depends on how fertile you are. It always takes me a few months after going off BC to get pregnant (like up to 6 or 7 months). But I have a friend who conceived the day after having her IUD removed. So everyone is different. The important thing to remember when you are trying is that it will happen eventually. Try not to stress about it too much, stress can affect your fertility greatly. Also have sex every other day after you are done bleeding (period) until about day 15 of your cycle (most likely day to ovulate) unless you know when you ovualte. Then, as my doc told me, do whatever you want after that. :-) Good luck!
-monkey

Mama J
January 27th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Thank you Monkey! Its nice to have someone reply to my thread at last. ;) We haven't started trying yet but hopefully next year about this time we will be! :)

Chicory_Witch
January 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I'd talk to your doctor. Cousin of mine went off the pill before consulting her Dr. and got pregnant that first month but had a very nasty miscarriage soon afterward. Turns out her Dr. would have recommended about 6-8 weeks of using condoms or such to keep from getting pregnant while her body was shifting back into it's normal hormonal cycle. Now, the miscarriage might be circumstantial, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

But if your doc gives you the okay, good luck TTC!