PDA

View Full Version : Female Gamer "Sexually Assaulted" While Playing PS3

Laisrean
January 22nd, 2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97538-Female-Gamer-Sexually-Assaulted-While-Playing-PS3

The roommate of a female player claims that her avatar was "sexually assaulted" while inhabiting the PlayStation 3's free social space, Home.

On December 22, 2009, PlayStation forum member Whoef posted a story describing how his female roommate was harassed while she was participating in the puzzle games associated with Home's Winter Wonderland event. The unnamed harasser followed the woman's avatar around incessantly near the Festive Tree and used the crouch emote, ostensibly to position his avatar near her backside. Whoef claimed that this behavior was sexual in nature and demanded that Home have some way to combat such behavior. An Australian newspaper picked up the story today and opined that just because such attacks occurred in a game, that doesn't mean that they aren't real.

"My roommate was sexually assaulted near the Festive Tree while she was helping others with the puzzle," said Whoef in his post. "She would move and the harasser would follow. Each time trying to get behind her and use the crouch gesture. This apparently went on for some time."

:wtf:

Infinite Grey
January 22nd, 2010, 12:25 AM
Well is you can sexually harass people on a forum and in chat rooms, why not in a virtual social setting? I think it is a serious issue.

DoktorSick
January 22nd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Jesus christ ! the next you know people will be complaining about being shot in halo.I guess some people will find something whine and cry about. Damn.

~*Sacred*~
January 22nd, 2010, 12:47 AM
I'm not sure what I think about this. On one hand, it's a game. On the other hand, I tried to think of myself playing a game with some one repeatedly following me and that would freak me out...

LadyValkyrie37
January 22nd, 2010, 01:40 AM
The one who was allegedly doing the "assaulting" was in no way restraining the one who was allegedly "assaulted." The one who was allegedly "assaulted" could get up, turn off the game, and walk away from the situation. She was in control of the situation to an extent on her end. She did not have to sit there and "endure" the alleged "assault." I think she needs to put her big girl panties on and get the hell over it.

Chicory_Witch
January 22nd, 2010, 01:48 AM
Yikes, and I thought Runescape was getting bad.

LadyValkyrie37
January 22nd, 2010, 01:54 AM
Yikes, and I thought Runescape was getting bad.

LOL Runescape is one of my guilty pleasures. I started playing years ago when my two sons wanted me to buy them a membership to Runescape. I still play every now and then. But yeah, I get real tired of people coming up to me asking me if I want a "boyfriend." I keep picturing some teenager typing it and I LMAO.

EntwinedScylla
January 22nd, 2010, 06:14 AM
I used to play "Adventure Quest Worlds" where there's a "dance" emote that looks rather like someone pelvic thrusting. Add to this that when a character "rests" to regain strength/mana they kneel down. Male players would position themselves in front of my resting character and "dance" at my face.

Any time I logged onto the female character, male players would follow, steal kills (they called this "helping"), make lewd comments, or "dance" at my face every time I rested. I started informing them that I was a male (I'm not)... problem seemed to solve itself. Though... a lot of them just got really obscene with how sick -I- was for playing a chick if I was a dude. I'd just inform them that I wasn't the dude facehumping another dude. :)

It was very annoying. It made it hard to play (misclicking on Mr. Trying To Hump My Face instead of the Giant Dragon Currently Killing Me), it made it uncomfortable to play because... well "u wanna go to a private zone n cybur?" Is kinda ookie.

It really sucks when disgusting trolls can run you off of a game you're otherwise enjoying. I think griefing of other players should always be met with moderator action. PVP games are one thing, but social games + griefing = empty social game.

Laisrean
January 22nd, 2010, 06:50 AM
Yeah, it is commonly believed that there are more male gamers out there than female gamers... in reality though, the number of female gamers is almost certainly larger than it would seem. The reason being that female gamers will tend to hide their gender in order to avoid harassment from the endless juvenile male gamers out there.

Not all male gamers are like these juveniles, and I am ashamed to be the same gender as them. Maybe its just that they are teens, but I dunno.

LunarSoldier
January 22nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Some people would laugh this off but it's not funny. These things happen.

Lunacie
January 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
The one who was allegedly doing the "assaulting" was in no way restraining the one who was allegedly "assaulted." The one who was allegedly "assaulted" could get up, turn off the game, and walk away from the situation. She was in control of the situation to an extent on her end. She did not have to sit there and "endure" the alleged "assault." I think she needs to put her big girl panties on and get the hell over it.

I used to play "Adventure Quest Worlds" where there's a "dance" emote that looks rather like someone pelvic thrusting. Add to this that when a character "rests" to regain strength/mana they kneel down. Male players would position themselves in front of my resting character and "dance" at my face.

Any time I logged onto the female character, male players would follow, steal kills (they called this "helping"), make lewd comments, or "dance" at my face every time I rested. I started informing them that I was a male (I'm not)... problem seemed to solve itself. Though... a lot of them just got really obscene with how sick -I- was for playing a chick if I was a dude. I'd just inform them that I wasn't the dude facehumping another dude. :)

It was very annoying. It made it hard to play (misclicking on Mr. Trying To Hump My Face instead of the Giant Dragon Currently Killing Me), it made it uncomfortable to play because... well "u wanna go to a private zone n cybur?" Is kinda ookie.

It really sucks when disgusting trolls can run you off of a game you're otherwise enjoying. I think griefing of other players should always be met with moderator action. PVP games are one thing, but social games + griefing = empty social game.

This ^ In such a situation I'd appeal to the moderators to warn the person about their bad behavior. If it was something I enjoyed doing, I'd be damned if I'd let "a disgusting troll" force me to abandon my pleasure without doing something to stop them. If I turn off the computer and walk away, chances are the troll will start harassing someone else. We need to deal with bullies and trolls and stalkers - and to me that's "putting on my big girl panties." Not running away to avoid confronting them.

brymble
January 22nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
How much I am missing in my voluntary technological deprivation! I've never been sexually assaulted reading a book before.

LadyValkyrie37
January 22nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
This ^ In such a situation I'd appeal to the moderators to warn the person about their bad behavior. If it was something I enjoyed doing, I'd be damned if I'd let "a disgusting troll" force me to abandon my pleasure without doing something to stop them. If I turn off the computer and walk away, chances are the troll will start harassing someone else. We need to deal with bullies and trolls and stalkers - and to me that's "putting on my big girl panties." Not running away to avoid confronting them.

I said what I said because of the utterly ridiculous claim of being sexually assaulted over the internet in a role playing game. One can not be sexually assaulted over the internet. One can be annoyed like hell but not sexually assaulted. That's why I said she needs to put her big girl panties on and get the hell over it.

When such things happen most of the time it's some little teenage or preteen boy doing oh so naughty stuff on the internet while mommy's not looking. It's done to me as well in Runescape. I LMAO because I envision some pimply face teenager snickering while he's doing all this. If he only knew I'm a 35 year old overweight mother of 3 teenagers myself.

If you can't ignore it or laugh it off like I can then yes by all means go to the proper authorities such as a moderator. However, don't be crying a river and saying that you've been sexually assaulted. See, I have been sexually assaulted before in real life as a child, as a teenager, and as an adult. It turns my stomach to hear that someone likens what I went through to a bunch of 1's and 0's on a computer screen. It's not sexual assault.

Laisrean
January 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
I said what I said because of the utterly ridiculous claim of being sexually assaulted over the internet in a role playing game. One can not be sexually assaulted over the internet. One can be annoyed like hell but not sexually assaulted. That's why I said she needs to put her big girl panties on and get the hell over it.

You are right that it is a game, but as a game the point of it is to be enjoyed. Whether you consider this sort of behavior sexual assault or just simply being annoying, the fact of the matter is this makes it harder for people to enjoy the game. This is bad for gamers, bad for the community, and certainly bad for the company behind it who is losing business as a result of it.

Now, one could log off of it and never return which I imagine is how a lot of people respond to it, but I think it would be more a matter of "putting her big panties on" by taking a stand and doing whatever possible for the company to crack down on it from happening again. You can run away and avoid problems, or you can confront them. Everyone has a right to play a game and not be harassed while doing so just because of their gender (or their race, or anything else for that matter).

Sitalique
January 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
People seem to be getting the word assaulted and harassed mixed up.
One can only be assaulted in the real world, not the virtual one.
The most anything online can be considered is harassment. And there are very simple options to stop it. Report it to the proper people in charge, put the idiot on block and/or hit the off switch.

Caelestis ♥ Raven
January 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
In real life someone can walk up to you and make disgusting rude comments, thrust themselves at you, get in your way etc... and still never ever touch you and yet it would be a horrible troubling experience.

I play online multiplayer games like World of Warcraft. and yeah sometimes people are just morons and annoying. But there have been times when people approached my character and made the most horrid comments and/or acted in the same way this guy did. People following me and standing on me, doing emotes that make their character "act" a certain way towards mine or on mine.

I have actually had three times in the game where it was serious enough that I actually got really really upset. Twice I actually cried. And yes I turned off the game and walked away as well.

I shouldn't have to turn the game off. I play to have fun and relax not be sexually harassed.

It is harder to be a female gamer I think, we are in a world where it is mostly men. And one of the ways to get more women involved and having fun is to make sure it can be a safe & fun environment for them. Things like this should not be tolerated, it shouldn't be laughed at or shrugged off as no big deal either. This character is your avatar, it is a representation of you even in just a light fantasy way. It can make you feel overwhelmed, upset, even feel violated. idk if I would call it assault or not though the definition of assault even says physical or emotional....

I did report the morons like that when stuff happened to me and they got punished. idk how this ps3 thing works I have never been on it, my husband has though. So idk if they have a good system set up for reporting people in the game. I hope if not that they do now.

Sitalique
January 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Maybe I'm just tougher than the average female gamer but such things never have upset me to the point I'd cry. If it got too bad I report and ignore. But then I really don't get bothered that often. I think in 8-9 years I've only been bothered 2 or 3 times.
Maybe it's the choice of game I play, maybe I am just incredibly lucky.

Lunacie
January 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM

When such things happen most of the time it's some little teenage or preteen boy doing oh so naughty stuff on the internet while mommy's not looking. It's done to me as well in Runescape. I LMAO because I envision some pimply face teenager snickering while he's doing all this. If he only knew I'm a 35 year old overweight mother of 3 teenagers myself.

If you can't ignore it or laugh it off like I can then yes by all means go to the proper authorities such as a moderator. However, don't be crying a river and saying that you've been sexually assaulted. See, I have been sexually assaulted before in real life as a child, as a teenager, and as an adult. It turns my stomach to hear that someone likens what I went through to a bunch of 1's and 0's on a computer screen. It's not sexual assault.

I've also been sexually assaulted in real life as a child and as an adult, and I wasn't agreeing with the female player that her experience was in any way the same. I was responding to the comment that all one has to do is turn off the computer and walk away. That's letting bullies and internet trolls win, not being a big girl. A big girl fights for her right to play a game without some creep or jerk being an asshat.

I don't play internet games, but I'd probably laugh at the creep and tell him that I'm actually a guy - playing a female role for a change of pace.

LadyValkyrie37
January 22nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
A big girl fights for her right to play a game without some creep or jerk being an asshat.

LMAO I'm sorry I can't help but LMAO at your comment. A big girl fights for her right to play a game?! When I think of fighting for one's rights I think of U.S. soldiers voluntarily fighting for our freedoms here back home. When I think of fighting for one's rights I think of Martin Luther King Jr. having a peaceful march for civil rights. When I think of fighting for one's rights I think of our great grandmothers and grandmothers protesting for women's rights. When I think of fighting for one's rights I do not think of playing a role playing game on a computer. It's a silly game for gods sake!

Phoenix Blue
January 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Well is you can sexually harass people on a forum and in chat rooms, why not in a virtual social setting? I think it is a serious issue.
Sexually harass, absolutely. But sexual assault is the wrong term, IMO.

LMAO I'm sorry I can't help but LMAO at your comment. A big girl fights for her right to sit at the front of a bus?!
There, fixed that for ya.

Life. Liberty. The pursuit of happiness. The Declaration of Independence sets forth that we are entitled to all three.

KC Destroyer of Worlds
January 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
People seem to be getting the word assaulted and harassed mixed up.
One can only be assaulted in the real world, not the virtual one.
The most anything online can be considered is harassment. And there are very simple options to stop it. Report it to the proper people in charge, put the idiot on block and/or hit the off switch.

This is the point that I wanted to make assault and harassment are two completely different beasts.

The other thing is, the woman's roomie is the one who was griping not the woman herself. We don't actually know how she felt about the situation except third hand from a report of a quote that her roommate made.

If the woman in question had a problem with it, she should have reported the action to a moderator. Since it was her roommate was posting on a forum and not reporting it, or encouraging her to report it, this may just be a case of someone making things up, we don't have any way of knowing one way or the other.

Lunacie
January 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
LMAO I'm sorry I can't help but LMAO at your comment. A big girl fights for her right to play a game?! When I think of fighting for one's rights I think of U.S. soldiers voluntarily fighting for our freedoms here back home. When I think of fighting for one's rights I think of Martin Luther King Jr. having a peaceful march for civil rights. When I think of fighting for one's rights I think of our great grandmothers and grandmothers protesting for women's rights. When I think of fighting for one's rights I do not think of playing a role playing game on a computer. It's a silly game for gods sake!

There, fixed that for ya.

Life. Liberty. The pursuit of happiness. The Declaration of Independence sets forth that we are entitled to all three.

I didn't word that very well, eh? Having a migraine today - slept for awhile but it hasn't gone away.

What I said earlier and didn't say as clearly as I meant to was - fight for the right not to be sexually harassed, hit on, trolled, stalked, bullied, whatever word you prefer. Guys who think it's okay to treat a woman that way online may also think it's okay to treat women that way in person eh?

It's not clear here who actually complained about this jerk's behavior, and I did agree that it wasn't handled very well. People in this country have been indoctrinated with a "victim" attitude and they use it in all kinds of situations where it's rather laughable.

However, I would certainly not laugh if my 12 year old granddaughter was playing this game and had someone harassing her (via her character) in this way. It's not just pre-teen boys who play these games, eh?

StormVixen
January 23rd, 2010, 06:26 AM
a friend of mine is stalked on WoW by a group of people... it is serious... it makes her too scared to go out of the house incase the stalkin has continued into the real world...

KC Destroyer of Worlds
January 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
a friend of mine is stalked on WoW by a group of people... it is serious... it makes her too scared to go out of the house incase the stalkin has continued into the real world...

It would be pretty easy for your friend to change her character and go to another server on WoW to avoid said stalking. Or to report it to the admins, or to not play depending on what she wants to do. There is some action that she can take, to take back control of the situation.

If she just sits at home and doesn't do anything (not leaving the house doesn't constitute doing something) she's feeding into her own fears and it could spiral into some pretty unhealthy paranoia and depression. As her friend maybe you should convince her to leave the house and confront her fears. Living her live in fear because someone in a game online was making lewd gestures and following her around (I don't know what level of harassment she was receiving) is stupid.

aluokaloo
January 23rd, 2010, 11:13 AM

that or she could have her character turn around kill off his or something. i'm sorry but i couldn't help but :lol:. what a whiner.

NoctisLucisCaelum
January 23rd, 2010, 11:20 AM
I play on PS3Home. There is not way you can be assaulted physically in the game (That includes actions). People can walk into you, but that's about it. Verbally on the other hand. (I am female and play as a female) Guys would ask you to hang out like they do in RL. You have to be a good judge of character and not just walk off with any of them. It takes only seconds to change into a guy avatar. If you cant do that, then don't play as a female. Cuss words are filtered, and some people can't type wortha crap nor can they keep up with some peeps typing.

As note, its a game. If you dont like it. Dont play it IMO.

Dont reviel any RL info either. Thats internet 101. No one can find you in RL from a game. The admins make sure of that.

Thunder
January 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
How much I am missing in my voluntary technological deprivation! I've never been sexually assaulted reading a book before.You haven't lived.... you need to read dirtier books... Honey.:bigredgri

KC Destroyer of Worlds
January 23rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
You haven't lived.... you need to read dirtier books... Honey.:bigredgri

Snap!

Nicholas
January 23rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
I personally think this was a step overboard, I hardly consider that sexual harassment. Such things happen on game like Guild Wars frequently, and when it annoys the other person they find somewhere else to go or leave the game for a bit.

I hardly think someones game character can be sexually assaulted, or harassed. It is a game if you are oh so damaged over it there is an on/off switch.

KC Destroyer of Worlds
January 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Does nobody get the fact that the woman herself didn't even report the incident? It was her roommate that was whinging about the whole thing.

LadyValkyrie37
January 23rd, 2010, 05:14 PM

That's why we have the second amendment... the right to bear arms. Tell your friend to buy a gun and get a Conceal Carry License. Have your friend check her state's gun laws. Maybe their state allows open carry and they wouldn't even need a license to carry, unless they wanted to conceal it.

Terra Mater
January 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Does nobody get the fact that the woman herself didn't even report the incident? It was her roommate that was whinging about the whole thing.

Ah, you want someone to notice facts instead of just let their emotions flow all over this? Silly kc.:hyper:

Personally I think the whole issue is stupid. Anyone stupid enough to take something like this seriously needs to get off the games and get a RL head check.

Infinite Grey
January 23rd, 2010, 08:19 PM

I agree. I'm not sure if its worthy of getting the law involved, but it is definitely ban worthy.

Lunacie
January 23rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Ah, you want someone to notice facts instead of just let their emotions flow all over this? Silly kc.:hyper:

Personally I think the whole issue is stupid. Anyone stupid enough to take something like this seriously needs to get off the games and get a RL head check.

It's the bad behavior that I find stupid. Anyone who finds behavior like that funny needs to get a real life.

I agree. I'm not sure if its worthy of getting the law involved, but it is definitely ban worthy.

As unusual as it is for me, I'm agreeing with Iggy here. I don't see any reason that bad behavior should be excused because "it's just a game." Don't most games have rules to make sure it's fair and fun for everyone? Those who think they're above the rules, or that breaking the rules makes them "cool" or "cute", should be banned. Temp-banning is fine for a first offense, but repeat offenses should result in a perma-ban.

Caitlin.ann
January 23rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
After seeing "Gamer" I'm not so sure...

KC Destroyer of Worlds
January 24th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Thanks TM I thought that I was the victim of a mass "ignore" button bot or something, I feel like I'm shouting into the hugging wind here. :/

Sequoia
January 24th, 2010, 03:09 AM
How much I am missing in my voluntary technological deprivation! I've never been sexually assaulted reading a book before.

You obviously haven't read the "club scene" in Wicked. I watched someone read it, and I'm pretty sure he was assaulted.

Thunder
January 24th, 2010, 03:23 AM
It's the bad behavior that I find stupid. Anyone who finds behavior like that funny needs to get a real life.

Someone who spends enough time on an RPG to have a stalker is the one who needs a real life. Obviously.

StormVixen
January 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM
It would be pretty easy for your friend to change her character and go to another server on WoW to avoid said stalking. Or to report it to the admins, or to not play depending on what she wants to do. There is some action that she can take, to take back control of the situation.

If she just sits at home and doesn't do anything (not leaving the house doesn't constitute doing something) she's feeding into her own fears and it could spiral into some pretty unhealthy paranoia and depression. As her friend maybe you should convince her to leave the house and confront her fears. Living her live in fear because someone in a game online was making lewd gestures and following her around (I don't know what level of harassment she was receiving) is stupid.

unfortunatly she already has mental problems and was recovering from agrophobia, I dont know alot about WoW, i avoid it cos i heard it "eats your soul", the people stalking her are people she used to know in real life... i think she stays on the server shes on because she is a member of a group or something... and i dont think she would want to change her charictors because they are high leveled... i meet up with her as many times a week as i can to take her out or jus to get her in a better state of mind... i do worry about her...

thanx

Lunacie
January 24th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Someone who spends enough time on an RPG to have a stalker is the one who needs a real life. Obviously.

I've never played an online RPG (my daughter and granddaughter both have) so I don't know the answer to this one, perhaps you could tell me . . . how much time does one have to spend on an RPG before one attracts a stalker?

I wasn't aware that there was some kind of time restraint on stalking. Yo dude! You can't start stalking that person until you've both been playing the same RPG for two months! Or is it three months? Or three days? I dunno, you tell me.

Yeah right. Just playing an online RPG leaves one open to this kind of behavior so therefore it's the victim's fault for spending too much time on the RPG and provoking someone to stalk her. /sarcasm

Terra Mater
January 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I find the bad behavior srupid as well. :thumbsup:

unfortunatly she already has mental problems and was recovering from agrophobia, I dont know alot about WoW, i avoid it cos i heard it "eats your soul", the people stalking her are people she used to know in real life... i think she stays on the server shes on because she is a member of a group or something... and i dont think she would want to change her charictors because they are high leveled... i meet up with her as many times a week as i can to take her out or jus to get her in a better state of mind... i do worry about her...

thanx

I don't play WoW myself, but my husband got into it last year and recently it has been a big issue between us. Seems stupid of me that our biggest fight is over a video game, but such is the world we live in.

I don't like WoW just from the changes I have seen in my husband. The game seems to have been designed to prey on weakness in people. Best bet is to find her a better hobby, one that gets her out of the house. Maybe some self defense classes or some martial arts to boost her self esteem and give her more of a feeling of control. Might even be easy if the character she plays is of some sort of warrior class.

KC Destroyer of Worlds
January 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Sounds like fear of being stalked was her excuse to let the agoraphobia get her down in extremis.

StormVixen
January 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I don't play WoW myself, but my husband got into it last year and recently it has been a big issue between us. Seems stupid of me that our biggest fight is over a video game, but such is the world we live in.

I don't like WoW just from the changes I have seen in my husband. The game seems to have been designed to prey on weakness in people. Best bet is to find her a better hobby, one that gets her out of the house. Maybe some self defense classes or some martial arts to boost her self esteem and give her more of a feeling of control. Might even be easy if the character she plays is of some sort of warrior class.

thanx for the advise, trying to get her into other things, we go to bellydance class, walking, doing crafts, reading, cooking, home courses so when she is able it will be a little easier for her to find employment. she did do karate but was uncomfortable.

um... to attract a stalker u need to have weird people on the game... nothing more... especially if ur charicter is a good one i suppose... not that i play.. although she does spend alot of time on the game because if your too scared to go out alone ur going to find things to do inside...

*GrumpButt*
January 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM
That is one of the reasons I have a big burly sexy mancow (Tauren) instead of a female char. for World of Warcraft lol.

WanderlustAfar
January 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM
In real life someone can walk up to you and make disgusting rude comments, thrust themselves at you, get in your way etc... and still never ever touch you and yet it would be a horrible troubling experience.
You said it yourself: in real life. I think we've all reached the common conclusion that despite delusions, real life and virtual life are not the same. If this happens in real life, someone is violating your personal space. Online, your character does not have 'personal space'. It is not a crime if someone invades it. Annoying, of course. In violation of your rights? Not in the least.

I play online multiplayer games like World of Warcraft. and yeah sometimes people are just morons and annoying. But there have been times when people approached my character and made the most horrid comments and/or acted in the same way this guy did. People following me and standing on me, doing emotes that make their character "act" a certain way towards mine or on mine.
Like many people have said already: ignore button/block button/a slightly thicker skin. If a rude man made lewd comments to you in real life, would you go to the nearest police station and insist they arrest the man? No. You'd ignore him. Maybe shoot him a dirty look. Now, if this happens online, you can do a hell of a lot more. See my previous statements. If they're characters get 'physical' with yours, once again, block them. I'd be excited if I got e-harassed, knowing I have more choices of stopping the idiot than in real life.

I have actually had three times in the game where it was serious enough that I actually got really really upset. Twice I actually cried. And yes I turned off the game and walked away as well.
I am genuinely curious: why? How serious could it possibly be? I'm still trying to figure out why people can't ignore others that are simply annoying them. Report them. Do something other than cry, because those tears help no one, especially not yourself, and not a single e-person is going to have sympathy for your tears. The virtual world is not real enough to elicit them.

I shouldn't have to turn the game off. I play to have fun and relax not be sexually harassed.

It is harder to be a female gamer I think, we are in a world where it is mostly men. And one of the ways to get more women involved and having fun is to make sure it can be a (1) safe & fun environment for them. Things like this should not be tolerated, it shouldn't be laughed at or shrugged off as no big deal either. (2) This character is your avatar, it is a representation of you even in just a light fantasy way. (3) It can make you feel overwhelmed, upset, even feel violated. idk if I would call it assault or not though the definition of assault even says physical or emotional....

I did report the morons like that when stuff happened to me and they got punished. idk how this ps3 thing works I have never been on it, my husband has though. So idk if they have a good system set up for reporting people in the game. I hope if not that they do now.

1) IT IS. I hate it when girls site a feminist paradigm and act like it's still the '70s. There is no way your physical person can come to harm in the virtual world. And you can attempt to argue that you're not emotionally safe, but you're no more emotionally safe than in the real world; in order to ensure your emotional safety in both worlds, you've got a lot of political moves to make, my dear.

2) You are correct, in the surrealist, idealistic sense. It however, does not mean that a direct threat, be it emotional or 'physical', to your avatar, is a direct threat to your corporeal person. At all.

3)It shouldn't. You should be able to separate real from virtual, and claiming to be a serious victim of seriously damaging emotional assault from a person on the internet should be raising red flags about yourself. If you cannot endure less-than-pleasant comments on the internet, then you shouldn't be on it. Everyone has a right to say what they please, however unpleasant it may be. If they take it to excess, do something about it, instead of waving your bra and talking about 'rights' you already have and aren't exercising.

KC Destroyer of Worlds
January 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM
You said it yourself: in real life. I think we've all reached the common conclusion that despite delusions, real life and virtual life are not the same. If this happens in real life, someone is violating your personal space. Online, your character does not have 'personal space'. It is not a crime if someone invades it. Annoying, of course. In violation of your rights? Not in the least.

Like many people have said already: ignore button/block button/a slightly thicker skin. If a rude man made lewd comments to you in real life, would you go to the nearest police station and insist they arrest the man? No. You'd ignore him. Maybe shoot him a dirty look. Now, if this happens online, you can do a hell of a lot more. See my previous statements. If they're characters get 'physical' with yours, once again, block them. I'd be excited if I got e-harassed, knowing I have more choices of stopping the idiot than in real life.

I am genuinely curious: why? How serious could it possibly be? I'm still trying to figure out why people can't ignore others that are simply annoying them. Report them. Do something other than cry, because those tears help no one, especially not yourself, and not a single e-person is going to have sympathy for your tears. The virtual world is not real enough to elicit them.

1) IT IS. I hate it when girls site a feminist paradigm and act like it's still the '70s. There is no way your physical person can come to harm in the virtual world. And you can attempt to argue that you're not emotionally safe, but you're no more emotionally safe than in the real world; in order to ensure your emotional safety in both worlds, you've got a lot of political moves to make, my dear.

2) You are correct, in the surrealist, idealistic sense. It however, does not mean that a direct threat, be it emotional or 'physical', to your avatar, is a direct threat to your corporeal person. At all.

3)It shouldn't. You should be able to separate real from virtual, and claiming to be a serious victim of seriously damaging emotional assault from a person on the internet should be raising red flags about yourself. If you cannot endure less-than-pleasant comments on the internet, then you shouldn't be on it. Everyone has a right to say what they please, however unpleasant it may be. If they take it to excess, do something about it, instead of waving your bra and talking about 'rights' you already have and aren't exercising.

QFT!!!!1111!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

aluokaloo
January 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
That is one of the reasons I have a big burly sexy mancow (Tauren) instead of a female char. for World of Warcraft lol.

sexy mancow! :rotfl:

Terra Mater
January 26th, 2010, 10:50 PM
One of the things that gets me about this whole gamer harassment crap is that in online roleplaying games you have a choice usually between PVP worlds where you can fight other players and worlds where you cannot. I have noticed that in worlds where you can turn around and beat someone into a puddle they tend to be a bit better behaved, especially if your character is a much higher level than theirs.

Maybe this is why I do not have stalkers or harassers. Word gets around not to mess with the Level 92 character that dresses like a Punk Grim Reaper and carries the best weapons game money can buy. Then again, I stick to Runescape.:thumbsup: