PDA

View Full Version : I'm new & i need to learn

Lily
May 20th, 2001, 11:34 PM
okay.i'm comming out and i need advice.I want to learn how to be true to what i'm claiming and not just say it.If you have some advice please tell me.all web sites and links are welcome.Thanx!

bluecat
May 20th, 2001, 11:51 PM
:cool: Welcome, Lily :cool:

Pull up one of Kaylara's comfy couch/chair thingies and help yourself to the lemonade and other goodies on the table.

I think you will find the folks here quite helpful.

Have you come out yes, or are you preparing to come out? That is a very important decision and should not be taken lightly. You will find a couple of threads on that subject that you should read :)

I hope this helps. :)

Blue

Yvonne Belisle
May 21st, 2001, 12:19 AM
Think of all the possible reactions and be ready to face them. They can run the gamut from being totally for to totally against and everywhere inbetween. That way when you come out you are ready for both the good and the bad reactions most of us get both. Some of our friends and family will be for and some will be trying to save our souls just remember that most reactions that are negative are kneejerk reactions and sometimes with the right answers to their questions they are happy for us. When I came out at school one of my friends moved her chair away from me but after she had time to think about it and realize that I was still the same person she liked she was fine with it.

Elaine
May 21st, 2001, 12:47 AM
When I decided that this was my path I came out to only the people that I felt needed to know....my husband and my best friend....my parents aren't very religious so that isn't really an issue because we never talk about religion....my husband and I got into a huge discussion about it....he wasn't happy with it ...disappointed but supportive!! My best friend was completely behind me and I found out she shares some of the same beliefs!! (she doesn't identify with any religion right now!!) Otherwise....I wear my pentagram proudly and no one has ever asked me about it....at work or in public!! If the people really love you and are good friends...they will be behind you...just remember to remind them that you are still you!! Before I started studying I thought that pagans were different....that they led different lives....to be honest I found them kind of weird...but then I started studying and realized that this is my path and realized that I'm no different than I was before.....people fear what they don't understand!! Be open to educating them in what you believe if they want to know....don't try to make them think that way...but if they want to know what it is you believe in....be prepaired to tell them....and if I were you ...I'd study up first because if you know anyone like my husband...you'll be in for a long religious debate!!! :)

Faery-Wings
May 21st, 2001, 07:36 AM
IMHO, if you are saying that you have to "learn how to be true to what i'm claiming and not just say it," then you are still working on it :) To me (and this is truly just my opinion), Paganism or Wicca or whatever your faith is, should be a way of life and you should be thinking and acting on what is true inside your heart. It will be learned and integarated into your soul and becomes part of you. I am not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me ;)

At any rate, welcome to the Porch and the lemonade! I hope that you enjoy your stay here :)

Chris
BB!

Elaine
May 22nd, 2001, 02:14 AM
makes sense to me Chryssi....but maybe that's just cuz we're both a little coocoo!! who knows!! (and btw...not only does it make sense to me....I also agree!) :)

mol
May 22nd, 2001, 07:32 PM
Last time I looked we were all part of one race.

Its called human.

Mariposa De La Luna
May 24th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Welcome and merry meet!

Could someone explain the poll? It just sort of popped up in this thread. Whats up with it?[

moonmagick4
May 24th, 2001, 11:06 PM
Merry Meet and Welcome!!I agree with Mol!There is one race.THE HUMAN RACE!

eaglewolf
May 24th, 2001, 11:16 PM
My opinion of interracial dating goes far deeper than personal choice. It deals mostly with bloodlines, children, their choices and free will (the children concieved) and a whole lot of other crap no one needs to hear about...

...so, as not to break away from the positive atmosphere of this thread, I will keep my personal opinion out of this one.

~ew

Lavender
May 25th, 2001, 01:35 AM
I'm Chinese & hubby is Irish/English/German...so I guess I'm FOR!!

Lily
May 25th, 2001, 07:33 PM
i'm sorry if i caused any disputes w/ this poll.I just wanted to see what everyone thought.The application to post a thred said i could do a poll so i did.In my opinion I think WE ,as a human race can date,mate,and be with whoever wew want too.I just wanted to see how you felt.Again I apologize.

Yvonne Belisle
May 25th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Don't be sorry! You made us think. That's a good thing! Thank-you. :)

Earth Walker
May 25th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Who a person sees is their business and their right....but,
unfortunately we have "morality police", those busy-body's
who try to run everybodies life but their own....mostly men,
who take affront at interracial couples, and the children face
persecution from other children(and adults), children who
learn racial hatred and other hatreds from parents who are
unable to see past the ends of their own noses.
It is so hard to educate the ignorant!

You see who you would like to see, and bigots be damned!

It took me a while to learn to stand up for myself, and now I
do not give a rat's a** what people think of me, or my choice
of living with another woman, but that is me.
You just go ahead and do what is comfortable and happy for
you. :sunny: :heartthro

mol
May 27th, 2001, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Mystique
Who a person sees is their business and their right....but,
unfortunately we have "morality police", those busy-body's
who try to run everybodies life but their own....mostly men...

*snip*

Mostly men, eh?

Seems the interracial dating thing (problems with) is stemmed from prejudice against other races. And prejudices seem to be when someone lumps a certain part of the human race into a certain category by color, etc and forms some kind of negative opinion...

Oh, did I just say color? Hmm. How about adding gender?

Elaine
May 28th, 2001, 01:51 PM
I agree with the majority on this one.....I have to say that in my experiences....the children of mixed couples were not discrimanated against by their peers...but by the parents of the peers....hatred of any kind is usually planted by the parents who raise them....unfortuantely there is nothing we can do about these people...but it's nice to see when the children go on their own and put their parents biggotry behind them and love people for who and not what they are!!

I also must say that I agree with mol...descrimanation (sp?) is when you descrimanate against people because of what they are....not only because of color, but gender, height, sexual preference, weight...the list goes on and on....I don't think that Mystique meant anything by her comment...but we must try to word what we are saying on this board carefully because we all love each other and we don't want to offend our friends!!!

mol
May 28th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Hmm. Well, I certainly dont want to start an argument. But, the words were "Mostly men." Sounds like she meant exactly what she said.

Elaine
May 29th, 2001, 02:48 AM
*shrug* I don't know, i can't speak for her!! Just trying to keep the peace I guess:D

mol
May 29th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Oh, well...I do too. I just wanted to make my point. :p

Elaine
May 29th, 2001, 04:10 AM
it's ok..you're allowed, I guess....:) We love ya mol:)

Mariposa De La Luna
May 29th, 2001, 12:58 PM
I agree with MOL.

I am married to a man of different heritage and we have 2 beautiful children. I believe it helps make for stonger genetic diversity and more beautiful children, I know I'm biased.

I think my husband loves my heritage because I have one. Being a generic white male with no traditions and rich history for himself, he gravitated to women of color. Traditions are important in people's lives. Family traditions are nice, especially if you have a big family, but sharing the same traditions among a very large group of people is different and makes you feel a part of something larger. I see Paganism filling this void in people's lives too. Yes we're all a part of the human race and we should celebrate our diversity and not fear it. :)

Elaine
May 30th, 2001, 03:18 AM
-posted by SAHM-

-I think my husband loves my heritage because I have one. Being a generic white male with no traditions and rich history for himself, he gravitated to women of color. Traditions are important in people's lives. Family traditions are nice, especially if you have a big family, but sharing the same traditions among a very large group of people is different and makes you feel a part of something larger. I see Paganism filling this void in people's lives too. -

I would say that you are right about your husband...I am a (very) white female with no traditions of any sort...(only religious ones...) and I always clung to my friends that had heritage because I found it so very interesting to be able to have that in your life! I find myself trying like crazy to find something, some kind of tradition to identify with....and there isn't anything really...I am proud of who I am....but would still love something to pass down to my kids (when I have them)

.- Yes we're all a part of the human race and we should celebrate our diversity and not fear it. -

couldn't have said it better myself!!!:D

Semele
May 30th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by mol
Last time I looked we were all part of one race.

Its called human.

AWWWEEEE How sweet honey!!!!

But if we are both human how did we end up with cat for a son???

Our son has decided he is a "Tissy Cat" and he insists on laying on the back of the couch like Ozzy...our real cat... at least in this lifetime he is supposed to be a cat. We have to remind him of that often. Maybe this is Trey's way of saying "Fine, if you wont have me some siblings I'll become a cat so I can at least have Ozzy!!!

Back on topic, (sorry) I agree with Mol. People are like certain herbs. If you plant them close together they are bound to intermingle. Who knows you may come up with a new, superior herb. Just ask my brother who is the king of Catnip-mint Julips!!!

Semele