PDA

View Full Version : animal totem

Aryanna
May 21st, 2001, 01:37 AM
I want to try to find out what my animal totems are. I have read 3 or 4 ways to do this and want to go ahead and try. Anyone have a way I can do this? I am very new and would appreciate any ideas you have or tell me if I am jumping the gun a bit!!! Thanks!

Fawn
May 21st, 2001, 02:10 AM
Here's a simple way that I am borrowing from a friend of mine--What animal are you attracted to? Which is your favorite?

Emy
May 21st, 2001, 09:51 AM
There are many ways of finding out your totemanimal, and most ways include some sort of meditation... I know of one that I have used, and that worked fine with me, however I am not at home right now, I am away at the university for a couple of days so I don't have my notes on that particular meditation here...
However it goes something like this, you can either improvise, or let me know and I'll post my notes as soon as I can.

Well it starts with you picturing yourself walking in a forest, you walk and walk, and you feel that the small trail (is it called that?) is going up towards the mountains side... when you've walked up you'll come to a cave... you'll go inside the cave (and maybe there is an animal outside this cave, for some it is and that is your totem animal... maybe it is at the other side of the cave, for most it is the latter...)the cave is filled with shining stones and gems, the first part is red, the second part is orange, the third part is yellow... all this time you walk in the cave and you let yourself be filled with its light... the fourth part of the cave is green, the fifth is turqouise, the sixth is blue and the seventh is purple/lilac...
When you've passed the seventh part you see an opening at the cave... when you'll walk out of it you'll see a landscape, it may be an ocean, a meadow or whatnot, remeber that place for it is one you'll always be able to come back to... you'll also meet your totem animal =) say hello and relax here for a while before you return to the "real world"...

Good luck

Blessings

loopy
May 24th, 2001, 12:59 AM
I haven't done a meditation for it (I still suck at meditating, slowly improving though. :) ) But I find myself drawn to the serpents/snakes. I always try and say in my mind, like, "SoandSo is my totem animal" and 99% doesn't feel right--dolphins are too nice, bears are too...furry, I don't know...anyway, a snake, or serpent just seems right. I'm a fire sign, which serpents are associated with, so I just have a feeling that this is the one. :)

I'm also drawn to scarabs. A scarab, I think, is a great way to keep your head from swelling. Well, mine. 'Cause you know sometimes you'll (and I use the term "you'll" but I really mean "me") get a little too... damn, I cannot phrase things. lol. Anyway. To me, if I start to say, Oh, my totem is the beautiful, intelligent, wisest creature insert-animal-here, my ego gets all, Hey, I must be wise and above all. And ego doesn't look good on me. It's different if you're saying, "I must be a scarab"--because scarabs are dung beetles, and it's hard to feel too cocky while saying, "I am a dung beetle." Pun intended. ;)

Wow. Babble much? Yes I do. :) What was the topic? Oh! Emy--thanks for the meditation, I'm going to try it. :D

Morgaine14
May 24th, 2001, 01:45 AM
Why does it have to be only one animal? I have two or three, and so does my hubby. I know one of mine is Dragon, another is Unicorn. As of yet, I haven't done the meditation to find them all. But meditation is not always neccessary, according to my hubby. Some totems will seek you. That's what happened with Dragon for me.

Emy
May 24th, 2001, 05:38 AM
How great, it sought you! That of course happens aswell as you seeking them....
Well, IMHO you can have more than one totem animal, I am sure many of us have more than one... =)

Blessings

Kiya
May 24th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Well, mine certainly did find me! Literally! Everytime I go out in my garden, I am joined by a pair of robins, looking at me. They've nested in my car port!

If I feel a bit down, I just go outside, and after a while one of them always pops by to cheer me up.

Not as dramatic as a dragon or unicorn, but somehow it just feels right!!

BB to all!! :D

Rick
May 24th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Some, it seems, you are born with. Some come to you later, & stay. Some come as you need their strengths, & then go their way. Think of these basic aspects of yourself: strength; drive; emotions-spirituality; intellect. What animals have aspects that correspond to your aspects? Example: a child who is the "class clown" may have Otter as his totem, a person with deep psychic abilities may have Owl or Bat, a person who has a hard time keeping their feet on the ground may have several winged creatures for totems, etc.

A really good book on all aspects of animals is "Animal Speak" by Ted Andrews. It may even be available in your public library. The author has other books on the subject, but I've only seen them in the bookstore, haven't been able to really check them out.

Cool meditation, Emy! :)

Dria El
May 25th, 2001, 07:46 AM
If you're interested, I've collected lots of information about this topic. I have put some of it on my site but have MUCH more that I haven't. I can post it here if anyone's interested.

Dria El

bluecat
May 25th, 2001, 07:56 AM
My animal totems found me, sometimes in a dream and sometimes after meditation. I practice a deep meditation method and lucid dreaming. I can go into sleep wanting to know the answer to a specific question and get it.

My totems are kind of odd and different, I suppose. I have the Great Canyon Owl, the Bobcat, and then a snake. I have also had a dream about a bear leaving a red paw mark on my chest. It was in one of my bear dreams that I was told of my totems.

Blue

clef0628
May 25th, 2001, 06:48 PM
I have two main animal totems, a snake and a deer. Snakes came to me when I was young. They came in my dreams mostly and for some reason, I just found them intersting. Sometimes it is like that it there an animal that you really like for no reason, that may be your answer. A good book I like to use is "Animal Magick" by D.J. Conway. My Mom was found by the bear. She has always had bear, pictures, figures, everything. She never looked to fined an animal totem it just came to her, from inside. Do you have a pet ,or animal you always wanted as a pet? Sometimes people pick a animal for a pet, because they are being guided to it.

Steve

Mairwen
May 25th, 2001, 07:15 PM
I have a panther and a crow. And the Kentucky Cardinal.

magicbabs
May 31st, 2001, 01:14 PM
I have been following the Native American path for about 10 years. I have found that the "Animal Speaks" book is okay. But the book is basically a horoscope. The totems are based on the day of your birth. However, all my training and searching has proven that my totem is not the deer as posted in the book.

Totems change constantally. You need to look around in your daily life and see what is there. Right now, I have black crows following me. They signify change. Also red cardinals are in my path....

It is like a dream intrepretation book. You cannot go by some other persons path/intrepretation.

I love frogs - that is one of my totems. I also love salamanders. These are my basic totems. Not the deer. Then the spirits and guides arrange other animals for me to look at.

Oh, yes one thing that is pretty accurate. If you look at the totem medicine cards there is a book that comes with the set. The totems are VERY accurate as far as most of my friends and teachers are concerned.

Yvonne Belisle
June 1st, 2001, 05:35 PM
I hope this helps answer some questions

widukind
June 5th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Mine are the wolf, the hawk and the komodo dragon. They just came to me from within. I do feel the wolf is my main totem and the others are lesser totems... if lesser totems exist. :confused:

Brightest Blessings! :p

Widukind

8Starz
November 1st, 2003, 01:08 AM
Some, it seems, you are born with. Some come to you later, & stay. Some come as you need their strengths, & then go their way. Think of these basic aspects of yourself: strength; drive; emotions-spirituality; intellect. What animals have aspects that correspond to your aspects? Example: a child who is the "class clown" may have Otter as his totem, a person with deep psychic abilities may have Owl or Bat, a person who has a hard time keeping their feet on the ground may have several winged creatures for totems, etc.

A really good book on all aspects of animals is "Animal Speak" by Ted Andrews. It may even be available in your public library. The author has other books on the subject, but I've only seen them in the bookstore, haven't been able to really check them out.

Cool meditation, Emy! :)

Yeah, I love Ted Andrews books...I've had "Animal Speak" and "Animal Wise" and his Animal-Wise Tarot deck for some time now. The Universe gave me a big ole shove way back when towards the Animal Speak book. Animal totems seem to be one of my "big" things. Yep, I've got the problem with getting grounded...LOTS of winged totems. I've got a plethora of amazing totem stories. The crow seems like my brother...always around in the physical to guide, warn and give support. It stuns me...the crow has sat in the distance at powerful turning points in my life...swooped down in front of me right before I narrowly escaped a car mishap... Even long before I knew of totems or metaphysics, one day at an office where I worked, a crow was going to every window in the place pecking on it. It was freaking everyone out...I thought it was funny...but I had no idea it may have been trying to warn me of something really terrible that happened later to me in that office... I think it wanted me out of there.

I actually drew my totems (7) using an animal deck (Medicine cards)...and the book with these cards said you would know your other two. I did. They are the crow and the owl, and they are my main two. An aura reader had seen them, one on each shoulder. So, I know of at least 9 of my totems. But, I have such a connection with animals, I suspect there are others. This aura reader above seemed stunned at all the animals she saw in my aura. But, I had resonated strongly with birds in general long before I drew those cards. Just before I drew the cards, I did a meditation and saw the eyes of the wolf. I knew there would be a wolf in the (7) cards I drew...it was the second card. And there were several winged creatures...blue heron, hummingbird, dragonfly... I resonated with the book's description of all the animals...right down to the hummingbird's eating so often to keep it's energy up...I have to eat every two hours because I'm hypoglycemic... I also have the otter...wasn't the class clown, but I'm very playful, and joking and laughing are highly prominent in my life. :) Looooove my totems...

Oh, and I think the strongest vision of a totem I've gotten so far was a cobra last year while meditating on my heart chakra. Scared the you-know-what out of me. I actually jerked back when I saw it...it was right up in my face. I saw it again in a meditation several months later. Immediately after meditating, I reached for my Tarot-totem cards and drew 3 cards...the cobra was the third card. In this deck, it's also the King of Wands... I've also had lots of snake dreams in the past...one with several huge snakes, like 10 feet long...one where I was actually holding a snake by it's head with it's mouth open and fang clearly visible...just looking at it...

8Starz