PDA

View Full Version : Native American Harvest celebrations

PurpleDuck
February 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Hi there :)

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and we're heading towards Mabon in a few weeks. The coven I'm part of experiments with lots of different ritual styles and lores as we are a teaching coven and wish to learn about EVERYTHING.

For Mabon this year, the idea is that we want to do a Native American-based ritual as we are going to be making Gods' Eyes. At Sabbats we always try to look at the various Lore surrounding them from all over the world, but our coven Bard is battling to find Native American harvest Lore. We were also wondering what we might include in such a ritual.

Any ideas, anyone? All info and links welcome.

Tiberias
February 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Are there any specific tribes you have in mind? There are 564 federally recognized tribes in the US, more than 600 recognized First Nations and bands in Canada, and that's just north of the Rio Grande. So you're talking about a massive variety of traditions here. ;) A good starting place would be to narrow down your search a bit, even if it's only to a broad category like "Pueblo", "Mayan" or "Algonquian".

As far as I can tell, "God's Eyes" are predominantly associated with the Huichol or Wixáritari of western Mexico. That'd be another good starting place, since they'd probably have little to nothing to do with any other Native American tradition you find.

Tuf Pic
March 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm 1/64th Woodlands Native American, & I'm very interested in their spirituality/mythology/culture, among many other things...

I've always been Pagan in belief-systems & attitude, always will be, although I was raised Jewish...

I'm very all-incorporating in my personal belief-system, always have been, always will be, probably in previous lifetimes as well... :bigredgri