PDA

View Full Version : Feeling emotions during meditation

ben_brook
March 15th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Hi all,

I have just started meditation (I am on a journey of discovering my spiritual side) and have being using some guided mediation mp3's during the mediation I am feeling emotions of sadness almost to the point of tears running down my cheek.

I am not picturing any visions as such just a lot of colors like yellow and red swirls not sure what this is.

Is it normal to feel emotions during meditation? and I am not sure why I am feeling this sadness when I am meditating.

Regards
Ben

Sequoia
March 15th, 2010, 03:34 AM
It's completely normal to feel emotion while meditating - you're reaching into the depths of yourself, in some cases, and it's only natural that things you may not be aware of or have suppressed come to the surface.

You might want to do some meditation specifically on the emotion that you are feeling, explore it, ask yourself where it's coming from. Listen to what it has to say.

Does that make any sense?

ben_brook
March 15th, 2010, 03:47 AM
It's completely normal to feel emotion while meditating - you're reaching into the depths of yourself, in some cases, and it's only natural that things you may not be aware of or have suppressed come to the surface.

You might want to do some meditation specifically on the emotion that you are feeling, explore it, ask yourself where it's coming from. Listen to what it has to say.

Does that make any sense?

I will give that a go

Thankyou

Sequoia
March 15th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Don't be surprised if it's powerful emotion... make sure you're somewhere comfortable, quiet, safe. Someplace you won't be interrupted, because being immersed in deep self-awareness and then being yanked out of it can be quite jarring.

A good way to get started meditating on your inner emotions is to focus on your breathing. Just take slow, natural breaths. Don't try to control them. Just become aware of them.

As you become aware of your emotions, as they begin to surface, let them flow through, but don't pull on them. Don't try too hard. Just feel them, the way you might put your hand in a stream and feel the velvety water flowing past. At this point, you may wish to simply observe yourself. Don't try to make any "discoveries" or "big steps"... just feel the water flowing over your hand, do you know what I mean?

ben_brook
March 15th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Don't be surprised if it's powerful emotion... make sure you're somewhere comfortable, quiet, safe. Someplace you won't be interrupted, because being immersed in deep self-awareness and then being yanked out of it can be quite jarring.

A good way to get started meditating on your inner emotions is to focus on your breathing. Just take slow, natural breaths. Don't try to control them. Just become aware of them.

As you become aware of your emotions, as they begin to surface, let them flow through, but don't pull on them. Don't try too hard. Just feel them, the way you might put your hand in a stream and feel the velvety water flowing past. At this point, you may wish to simply observe yourself. Don't try to make any "discoveries" or "big steps"... just feel the water flowing over your hand, do you know what I mean?

Sure do thankyou

ben_brook
March 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I'm still struggling with meditation it almost feels while I am meditating that I can't let go and become totally relaxed almost feels like something is blocking my mind.

I think I need to take one of those pills like in the Matrix it just feels at times that I can't free myself.

Sequoia
March 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm still struggling with meditation it almost feels while I am meditating that I can't let go and become totally relaxed almost feels like something is blocking my mind.

I think I need to take one of those pills like in the Matrix it just feels at times that I can't free myself.

Part of the point of meditation is to understand those "blocks" and to work through them.

Have you point-blank asked yourself, while in a meditative setting, what is blocking you? Listen for an answer, it might come to you.

For some people it takes years to really get into the swing of things with meditation. And it isn't identical for everyone. So don't put pressure on yourself that you must do it a certain way or within a certain time limit.

Gentleness. :)