PDA

View Full Version : Meditation - Finding it Hard

wolf_weasel
March 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
I have a very busy mind. It is always at work, thinking about something. I find it very hard to concentrate or focus on anything in particular. I have tried meditating before, but did not succeed. The only time I have ever been successful with any sort of meditation was a few years ago. I have pain in my wrists from time to time and one night I was laying in bed, my wrist was hurting really bad. I don't like to take medication for anything so I was simply laying there, unable to sleep because I was in pain. So I decided to see if I could sooth the pain by thought (mind over matter). I imagined my wrist was like guitar strings, only the cords were thicker and softer (like a tendon) I began to massage these cords in my head, while breathing slowly. Now, I did not touch my wrist physically at all during this and after a time (I lost track of time) I was able to dull the pain to almost nothing, as long as I kept up the mental massaging. I finally drifted to sleep and had no pain in my wrist when I woke up the next morning.

So I'm trying to figure out how I can do this, but I can't figure out a way to actually meditate. Any suggestions?

Shady El-Shafie
March 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
I had the same problem busy mind...
i used to start meditating after i did this exercise for long time
try to think and then concentrate till you reach an emotion out of ur thinking, then concentrate on this emotion and then next day try to reach the emotion without thinking, if you can do that meditation is going to be easier

Gaudior
March 24th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Meditation is hard for many people, so you aren't alone :) I find it helpful if I concentrate on my breathing, recite a mantra, or concentrate on a specific thing: The flame of a candle, a mandala, a labirynth...

What you described is actually common amoungst some occultists...if they are in pain, they concentrate on the pain in order to meditate and reach gnosis. When you are in pain, it's hard to think of anything else. I wouldn't recommend this method, however, as it can be a little dangerous.

Some also find dancing and drumming to be just as helpful.

Astara Seague
March 24th, 2010, 12:02 PM
it isnt always easy to quiet our minds in such a busy world
I recommend controling your breathing, emptying your mind or focus on a special place that you have created in your mind where you can go to relax then go from there

I agree with Selah..focusing on pain isnt too good of an idea unless you are attempting to try and heal yourself then you should be using other methods to assist in that

meditation is like a time out

DaAznKnight
March 24th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Okay, this method's from Qi Gong that my father taught me. It may be different from other methods.

You can do this lying down or sitting up, but I prefer lying down. Lie down as a dead Egyptian king would in his box (legs shoulder width wide, hands over your chest).

Place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Just gently tho. Should not require any effort at all.

You are now ready to begin. Close your eyes, and begin rhythmic diaphragmatic breathing.

The rhythm I used when I was just starting out was 1,2,3,4,5,6 - 1,2,3 - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - 1,2,3. Each set of counts represents inhalation, hold, exhalation, hold, respectively. So inhale for 6 seconds, hold your breath for 3, exhale for 6, hold for 3, and repeat.

There are other rhythms too that I've found through my martial arts training. The one thing I have in mind is "water breathing". The rhythm is something like 1,2,3,4,5,6 - 1 - 1 - 1. It's fast on exhale, and slow on inhale. It's difficult to do if you're just starting though.

If you don't know what diaphragmatic breathing is, it's easy. Usually, when people breathe, you expand their chest. However, Qi Gong practitioners expand their stomach instead, pulling down their diaphragm, and making room for the air. I find it allows me to take in more air volume per breath.

Focus on your breathing. Count the rhythm (not to fast, but not so slow that you start turning blue!). This helps you to clear your mind aside from the counting.

If you're new to this, you may take some time (and a few tries!) to reach a state of meditation. I got it in the first couple of tries, and first time I hit that state, I could hear EVERYTHING! The sound of the air conditioner blowing was the first thing that hit me, and then my dad's heartbeat (who was there to teach me).

hummingbird
April 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
I suffer from chronic pain as well. I have nerve and muscular pain in my neck and shoulder. It often radiates down into my fingers. I try not to take anything for it either. Usually when it bugging my I try this meditation.

I focus on my breathing for a minute or two. Generally just to get myself calm. than I focus on breathing in white light. I funnel that white light in to the part of my body that is causing me the most pain. Then I breathout the pain in the forms of black bubbles that float away. I generally repeat this imagery until the pain is manageable.
Hope that helps:D

aluokaloo
April 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM
i have the same problems, sometimes the best way to block out a busy mind is to fill in the void. ie music, images, guided meditations, movement, singing, chanting so that way your mind has something to focus on. we all work in different ways after all, you just have to figure out how you work it. good luck wolf weasel :)