PDA

View Full Version : Do you celebrate Ostara?

TuathaSidhe
March 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I know its not a Recon thing and personally ive never been drawn to it other than for a family dinner growing up and 'oooo pretty eggs' lol.

However, I am trying to keep things open for my two oldest children as I want them to experience new things.

SO...does anyone do Ostara and do you keep it completely apart from CR practices, does it conflict? I dont see it conflicting personally, but figured I'd ask.

Also, what do you do? Any idea on what I can do other than color eggs lol.

Seren_
March 24th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I don't celebrate Ostara but as a Scottish Recon I acknowledge Latha na Caillich, when the Cailleach is said to give up her struggle to keep her grip on the winter season. It falls on March 25th, which used to be the New Year (until 1752) and was the 'official', fixed date for the equinox. I've not found any customs associated with it, like with Bealltainn, say, it seems more to have marked an end to the bad weather and heralded a calmer part of the spring season than to have been a big festival. I tend to keep things simple and make offerings to the Cailleachean (storm hags) on that day, since they're supposed to be going to rest.

Seeing as I have kids, though, the Easter season is kind of unavoidable for us - my eldest does things at school, and our family all celebrate it so the Easter bunny comes to our house. In our house it's more a celebration of spring (given all the eggs and stuff), but the kids know the Christian meaning too, and that we don't celebrate that, but some of our family does. My husband and I have agreed that when the kids are older, and start asking about why we do all this stuff with eggs, then we'll tell them about the origins and so on. For us, it's an entirely secular occasion, like Christmas.

Last year we decorated some eggs (my kids are three and four at the moment, so it was more a splodge of paint, glitter, sparkly shapes and feathers), and my eldest brought home an Easter bonnet from nursery. This year we've been working on some Easter nests, which are kind of baskets made from string dipped in a paint/glue mixture (all sorts of colours) that are draped randomly over a bowl until they dry solid and the bowl will come off. Once they're dry we've got some brightly coloured feathers to line the nest, and some pom poms to make some birds to go in them, and then we'll fill them with little chocolate eggs to give as gifts to the kids' grandparents. They love that kind of stuff.

We're probably also going to make a cake (or maybe cupcakes) as well, to take to the in-laws on Easter Sunday, which the kids an I can decorate all spring-like - we have lots of shape cutters from the kids' plasticine set that we can use to cut out flowers, and stuff. My husband, a staunch atheist, is rooting for a zombie Jesus decoration just to annoy his staunchly Catholic mother, though...

Noinden
April 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
this year I helped run an Ostara Festival locally... I am still recovering :P

TuathaSidhe
April 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
lol Noniden, no festival here, just going to be me and the kids so hopefully I wont need to much recovering. hehe.

About the only thing we've ever done is color eggs and then go to my grandfathers to eat ham, we are going to do that this year to, but I think im going to look some stuff up to talk with to my kids about Ostara and maybe try to find some foods that are associated with it to cook to.

Other than that...lol.

Noinden
April 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
lol Noniden, no festival here, just going to be me and the kids so hopefully I wont need to much recovering. hehe.

About the only thing we've ever done is color eggs and then go to my grandfathers to eat ham, we are going to do that this year to, but I think im going to look some stuff up to talk with to my kids about Ostara and maybe try to find some foods that are associated with it to cook to.

Other than that...lol.

I'm very active in the local Pagan Unity Council and also run an ADF Protogrove. I had the next Arch Druid (Kirk Thomas) visit for the Festival. The theme of the Festival was "seeds of Change" so we did an ADF Core Order ritual, with Lugh as deity of occasion. We ignored all Ostara stuff, and focused on Lugh being a major seed of Change for the Tuatha and the Outsiders (Fomaire (not so positive for them))/

It was great, but I was also event security... one and only one incident. Shame it was a Pedo we had banned ...