PDA

View Full Version : Navy Bans Smoking on Subs

Vampiel
April 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
http://www.military.com/news/article/its-official-navy-bans-smoking-on-subs.html?col=1186032310810

The Navy has initiated a policy to ban smoking below decks aboard all submarines. The ban will become effective no later than Dec. 31.
After a 2006 surgeon general's report on involuntary exposure to tobacco smoke, the Submarine Force chartered the Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory to conduct a study on U.S. submarines. The yearlong study in 2009 on nine different submarines indicated that nonsmoking sailors were exposed to measurable levels of secondhand smoke.

Sailors who smoke will be offered assistance in quitting as part of the policy change. The assistance will include education techniques and nicotine replacement therapy. Nicotine patches and gum will be available on every sub in an effort to discourage switching to other types of tobacco, such as chewing tobacco.

I think its a fair policy.

Phoenix Blue
April 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I think so, too. It's not like you can go outside to get away from the smoke.

TheWomanMonster
April 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Sounds fair.
I'd recommend E-Cigs for those who still need their nicotine fix.
No secondhand smoke danger.
:hi5:

memnoch
April 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I don't like it but I can't argue with it, as long as they don't ban smokeless tobacco. I think it would also be much more acceptable if they could let smokers opt out of submarine duty.

Anthony41671
April 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I don't like it but I can't argue with it, as long as they don't ban smokeless tobacco. I think it would also be much more acceptable if they could let smokers opt out of submarine duty.

Too much money invested in training for them to do that.

Vampiel
April 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I think so, too. It's not like you can go outside to get away from the smoke.

Well you could but not for long. :toofless:

memnoch
April 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Too much money invested in training for them to do that.

Meh, women get out of it because of pregnancy, another personal choice...I would at least like to see voluntary assignment before people are chosen

ETA or a grandfather clause phasing smoking out over the next 6 years

LostSheep
April 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Well, during the war I think they had to go outside for a smoke- when they were on the surface, of course. But with nukes you're never on the surface, so frankly I wonder that it hasn't been outlawed long ago.

The yearlong study in 2009 on nine different submarines indicated that nonsmoking sailors were exposed to measurable levels of secondhand smoke.
From the department of "no, really? I'd never have guessed that".

Anthony41671
April 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Meh, women get out of it because of pregnancy, another personal choice...I would at least like to see voluntary assignment before people are chosen

ETA or a grandfather clause phasing smoking out over the next 6 years

1. Women aren't in subs yet (thought it is coming)
2. More training involved to be a submariner vs. a surface sailor, more surface folks and easier to interchange the parts.

memnoch
April 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
1. Women aren't in subs yet (thought it is coming)
2. More training involved to be a submariner vs. a surface sailor, more surface folks and easier to interchange the parts.

1. I thought they had already phased that in, so fair enough
2. Also wasn't aware of, still like the idea of grandfathering to the next reup, that way each sailor is aware of the rules before they sign, as smoking is an addiction

Anthony41671
April 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM
1. I thought they had already phased that in, so fair enough
2. Also wasn't aware of, still like the idea of grandfathering to the next reup, that way each sailor is aware of the rules before they sign, as smoking is an addiction

I am of 2 minds...on one hand, I hate that they continue to make smokers (of which I am not currently one), feel like lepers. On the other hand...submariners get paid WELL, to be submariners...they even get to keep their sub pay, while off the sub on shore duty (as long as they sign a contract to return for another follow on sub tour. Surface sailors do NOT get this deal to keep our sea pay while on shore duty.), so I think that the smoking subbies will just have to suck it up for a period of time and put on a patch or chew some gum.

memnoch
April 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I am of 2 minds...on one hand, I hate that they continue to make smokers (of which I am not currently one), feel like lepers. On the other hand...submariners get paid WELL, to be submariners...they even get to keep their sub pay, while off the sub on shore duty (as long as they sign a contract to return for another follow on sub tour. Surface sailors do NOT get this deal to keep our sea pay while on shore duty.), so I think that the smoking subbies will just have to suck it up for a period of time and put on a patch or chew some gum.

I agree, and I know the military is rarely if ever fair, I just think the rules you sign up for should not become more restrictive while you are under a current contract. Personal opinion that I know will never happened, just another BOHICA moment

Anthony41671
April 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I'm with ya...but the smoking nazis in the navy at least have been gaining ground over the last few years. It is only a matter of time, before it is banned altogether.

Frankly, if I volunteer to conceviably DIE for my country, I should be allowed to smoke, drink, dip, and screw to my hearts content! (at appropriate times and places, at least).

Phoenix Blue
April 9th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I'm with ya...but the smoking nazis in the navy at least have been gaining ground over the last few years. It is only a matter of time, before it is banned altogether.
I don't think they'll be able to anytime soon ... it was supposedly "only a matter of time" 10 years ago when I first joined, and there's really been no move to ban it outright. The closest the Air Force has come is to prohibit tobacco use during military or technical training.

Anthony41671
April 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I don't think they'll be able to anytime soon ... it was supposedly "only a matter of time" 10 years ago when I first joined, and there's really been no move to ban it outright. The closest the Air Force has come is to prohibit tobacco use during military or technical training.

Yeah, it won't be in the next couple of years maybe...but eventually. To a degree it is almost easier for the navy to soft ban it.

Example. I was on a ship about 10 years ago, and we had an Executive Officer that was a HUGE smoking nazi. Every chance he had, he put the "smoking lamp" out, so no could smoke. It was his favorite knee jerk to anything that pissed him off.

Until the day that we had a new Commanding Officer, that decided to fire up a big assed cigar, right on the bridge to celebrate the 1st time he got the ship underway. You could literally see the smoke coming from the XO's ears and the red creep up his neck and face!

So, on a ship at sea, it is easy for the smoking nazis to make it impossible for smokers to smoke...at least for periods of time.

I have been in the Navy long enough to remember when not only could we smoke whenever we wanted, but pretty much wherever we wanted. When I was on my second ship (1993-1995) we had a lounge inside the ship, where we could smoke...it was like walking into downtown L.A. A dark cloud just hung over the room 24/7.