PDA

View Full Version : I need the wisdom of those who have dealt with this before me

zo d losh
April 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
My soon to be mother in law used to be wiccan. Now she is a very strict christian. She is a very loving and kind woman until it come to my religion.(my fiance is not wiccan)

Once she accidentally touched my Goddess pendent that I wear around my neck. She began to scream " Oh my God I touched it"! And ran to the bathroom to wash her hands and pray.

My cat's name is Wicca. She told me that she didn't approve of the name and simply calls her "the cat".

Now Beltane is coming and we plan to have a big celebration at our house. I invited her because I truly do love her and don't want to exclude her, but I am afraid she going to be a black cloud, or do, or say something harsh.

Does anyone have any tips, or ideas on how to handle this?

Phoenix Blue
April 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Once she accidentally touched my Goddess pendent that I wear around my neck. She began to scream " Oh my God I touched it"! And ran to the bathroom to wash her hands and pray.
Wow ... that's kinda lame.

I wouldn't have invited her in the first place, honestly, but it'd be rude to revoke her invitation ... so I'd say keep the "big celebration" secular. Have food and friends, but save any ritual until after the party's "officially" over, so that people who want to participate can stick around while everyone else leaves.

faye_cat
April 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Tell your inlaw that you are having a wiccan celebration and that you'd like her to be there, but only if she wants to be there, and be there with a positive attitude.

GEBS
April 12th, 2010, 08:19 PM
When I worked I kept reading material on my desk for my lunch break. I worked with a woman that liked to hit my books when she walked near them. She would mutter things quietly about Satan as she walked away. This same woman always kept her Bible on her desk.

The last time she hit a book sitting next to me. I grabbed her hand and looked her in the face. I asked her "Is that how you want me to treat your bible? From here forward I am going to show you as much respect as you show me. Do you understand what I mean by that?" She never touched my books again.

This is a woman I was friendly with. I had already tried talking with her. It didn't work until I let her know that she was going to get what she gave.

I suggest talking with your MIL. Ask her how she would feel if you treated her religious symbols that way. Ask her how it would make her feel about you if you disrespected her things. If she is a reasonable person it should at least make her think, and that's a start.

zo d losh
April 16th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Thank you all so much. You have been really helpful.