PDA

View Full Version : does anybody play D&D?

gatto
April 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I've been playing a lot of very intense seriously emotional D&D games lately and I was just wondering if anybody here plays. I play 3.5 :boing:

Tiberias
April 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM
3.5 and 4. About to take over DMing my 3.5 game for the first time after six or seven years of playing.

Pagan Warrior
April 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I have played in the past, and have done so in 3rd Edition and 3.5e. My gaming group sort of dissolved and I've got family, work, business, etc. to worry about so I don't get out and game anymore. I wouldn't mind doing it from time to time ... I miss it to be honest; but, alas, that was another life :)

gatto
April 14th, 2010, 12:12 PM
3.5 and 4. About to take over DMing my 3.5 game for the first time after six or seven years of playing.

Congrats! DMing is a lot of work, I've tried it in the past but I'm much more comfortable as a player. A good friend of mine and I have a system, I create a world and a plot for him and he runs it while I play in it with the rest of the players. So far it has led to the best most emotionally involved D&D game I've played in my life.

memnoch
April 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I haven't played since 3.5, break ups, divorces, marriages, jobs, lack of jobs...seems no time or motivation by my friends. I had a friend that bought the core books for 4.0, wanting to run a game, but it never happened.

brymble
April 14th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I've played off and on since the game came out when I was maybe about 9 or so? Haven't played in a few years, too much moving around and all. I played with an absolutely fantastic group of wonderful people before moving to Woodstock, but haven't gotten seriously involved in a game since. Probably should look up the guys to see if Mikey's still running a game, because Damien's taking an interest now, and quite frankly I'm thinking improving math, reading, and problem-solving skills. As well as the joy of being the only accomplished pickpocket in the party. My character was maturing, I'm sure she could use an "apprentice". The other party members still have money left.

Tom Terrific
April 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I really enjoyed playing Greyhawk campaigns, but haven't played in a few years.

I see a potential in the system for use in personal transformation, with an appropriately-designed adventure and a knowledgeable DM. It's something I've always wanted to pursue. Alas ... :)

brymble
April 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I really enjoyed playing Greyhawk campaigns, but haven't played in a few years.

I see a potential in the system for use in personal transformation, with an appropriately-designed adventure and a knowledgeable DM. It's something I've always wanted to pursue. Alas ... :)

You know man, you just nailed what was so great about Mikey's games.

TheWomanMonster
April 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Not been playing D&D, but have been playing GURPS and Warhammer.

brymble
April 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Wow. People still play GURPS???

gatto
April 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Not been playing D&D, but have been playing GURPS and Warhammer.

I've always wanted to try GURPS

brymble
April 14th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Fewer dice to mess with. A lot simpler.

lightdragon
April 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I've always wanted to try GURPS
just heard of GURPS now.

only played AD&D briefly in school.

Phoenix Blue
April 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I used to play the 1st Edition, unspoiled AD&D. *Grins* I have a couple of 3.5 Edition books, but no local crowd and no time to locate one.

Tiberias
April 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I've always wanted to try GURPS.

I'd really like to get another Dark Heresy game going. I played in a short campaign last year (maybe 15 sessions?), and it's AMAZING.

Other than that, I play in a modified Amber system that's sorta like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, except far less heroic (which is saying something!). Straight-up storytelling, no mechanics other than DM caveat. Challenging, sometimes, but really fun.

lightdragon
April 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I used to play the 1st Edition, unspoiled AD&D. *Grins* I have a couple of 3.5 Edition books, but no local crowd and no time to locate one.
was the Monster Manual cover for that one a red dragon fighting some Pegasi in the air?

brymble
April 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Do those of you who play think that GURPs might be easier for a 12-year-old first timer to grasp.

I remember first edition D&D. Barely. When everything you needed came in that little kit. My Dad had the original Monster Manual, first edition. Don't know what he did with it.

We played with a group using 2nd edition rules for quite some time, long after 3 and 3.5 came out. I am uncomfortable with some of the new changes. Call me obsolete but an elf's an elf, and halflings have hairy feet. So there.

brymble
April 14th, 2010, 02:36 PM
was the Monster Manual cover for that one a red dragon fighting some Pegasi in the air?

Oh yeah. And horrible, amateurish geeky illustration. That was the good stuff!

Tiberias
April 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I don't know about GURPS, but in regards to 12 year old newbies, I'd say definitely avoid D&D 4. "Simplification" in Wizards of the Coast's dialect apparently means "Quadrupling paperwork for players".

gatto
April 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Fewer dice to mess with. A lot simpler.

hehe I love lots of dice... just got a new dice bag actually, my old one is the little white one on the side

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs457.ash1/25152_10150173401005788_703185787_12055472_877216_n.jpg

it's enough to hold about 250-300 dice, I've got exactly 100 in there right now

lightdragon
April 14th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Do those of you who play think that GURPs might be easier for a 12-year-old first timer to grasp.

I remember first edition D&D. Barely. When everything you needed came in that little kit. My Dad had the original Monster Manual, first edition. Don't know what he did with it.

We played with a group using 2nd edition rules for quite some time, long after 3 and 3.5 came out. I am uncomfortable with some of the new changes. Call me obsolete but an elf's an elf, and halflings have hairy feet. So there.
A lot of people are selling those on eBay. I know the original version the halflings and Treants were called Hobbits and Ents respectively. The Tolkien estate had issues with them over copyright conflicts them which was the 6th version.

the ones with the colored boxes(which are basic ,interimediate.etc.) are much easier to get. and are in generally good condition.

Oh yeah. And horrible, amateurish geeky illustration. That was the good stuff!
thanks.

memnoch
April 14th, 2010, 03:08 PM

If part of playing is education I would recommend 2nd ed. Once you figure out Thac0 math becomes easy :D

TheWomanMonster
April 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM

For sure, it's a simple system. Lots of GM sway as well.
The 4th edition books are pretty easy to come by second hand.

Tom Terrific
April 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM

My first glimpse of D&D was first edition, in 1975. I was so entranced I photocopied all five booklets.

I think those original books are worth some money in the collectors market.

brymble
April 14th, 2010, 05:59 PM
My first glimpse of D&D was first edition, in 1975. I was so entranced I photocopied all five booklets.

I think those original books are worth some money in the collectors market.

Oh hell yeah they are!

I don't remember what year it was when my Dad came home from some dinner or something where he had been introduced to D&D. The little boxed set appeared in the house overnight. I seriously think he used to play with some of his buddies either from the Masons (indulges in amusing imaginations of a Masonic D&D game) or from church (this I guess was before they decided it was "Satanic".) He had the game lying around for maybe about a year before he taught us. I remember he was practically jumping up and down when he brought home the Monster Manual.

lightdragon
April 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
here's a link for basic evolution of D&D.
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/original.html

Zibblsnrt
April 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM

GURPS' rule system is pretty modular. They have a (free!) minimalist ruleset available called GURPS Lite that boils the much larger main rulebooks down to thirty-two pages, a decent chunk of which is just things like skill lists or the like. You could walk someone through the basics that way in an afternoon. The two main rulebooks are considerably more involved, but make it pretty clear at most steps in the process that the GM gets the final say on how many of those rules actually show up.

At the other end of the GURPS scale, things a larger-scale Transhuman Space campaign can get terrifyingly complex pretty quickly, but they can't be accused of skimping on detail at that point.

LucidWolf
April 14th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Haven't played D&D strictly, but I have played a D20 a couple years back... We stole a lot of rules and stuff from Pre-4 D&D. Scheduling conflict kept me from continuing to play...

PaganSpirit
April 14th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I love D&D! I play 3.5 and refuse to learn 4e. I'm set in my ways and fear change. :smileroll
Alas, I don't get to play nearly as much as I'd like, but I'm always making changes to my fantasy world and thinking of ideas for campaigns.
To be honest, I never got a chance to play a real game of it until I came to college and met people who actually played. Before that, I spent a nice chunk of my childhood reading some of the rulebooks, collecting dice, and always trying to find people who wanted to play but never finding anyone. Worth the wait though!

Infinite Grey
April 14th, 2010, 09:56 PM
3.5 and Pathfinder in rotating weeks. My brother also plays 4.0 but I won't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Straight out Human Wizard is my race and class of choice, though I'm currently playing a Ultimate Magus in the current 3.5 campaign.

In the last one, my Human Wizard achieved demigod status - but no one wanted to play Epic rules, so Malacough de'Magnifico has been retired. Now is the time and rise of Skorpan Ultimate Magus and credit stealer (always claiming trying to claim credit for the group's achievements).

My Pathfinder Wizard if interesting - Canidat, the gender confused Elf. I enjoy making the other gamers cringe and laugh when I roleplay an Elf that appears to continuously change gender and sexual orientation.

brymble
April 14th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I enjoy playing halfling thieves.

Vampiel
April 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I used to play AD&D a long time ago and would love to start again. I know of some meetups that I could go to but frankly its pretty low on my priority list with all the other stuff going on. Im sure ill get back to it at some point when things settle down again.

gatto
April 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM
My favorite thing to play is casters

Aeon Flux
April 15th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I've played once... 3.5
I was an Elf Druid with a Tiger companion. The DM hated me. I kicked his monsters butt. Then again, when you have a Druid who has a companion Tiger, turns into a Tiger and both have tentacles and can grapple and rake, a DM's life gets kind of hard.
The group is all guys though, and there's only so much testosterone I can take around me unless I'm dealing with musicians.
It's not really my cup of tea, at all.

I used to LARP Vampire The Masquerade, which is more my cup of tea.

RajenMcDohl
August 31st, 2010, 05:27 AM
Strictly 3.0 here and strictly Ravenloft as far as that is concerned.

Anaali
August 31st, 2010, 09:41 AM
Most of those I play with refuse to play the 4.0 edition but they are willing to get the books as reference. I have played a sort of mix between 3.0 and 3.5 that we liked to call 3.25 since we mostly used the 3.5 books but there were a few things that we used the 3.0 books for, like prices for the lesser boots of striding and springing and the description for the greater boots. It was fun until our DM's lost their campaign info and decided to scrap it or when couple's would bring their non D&D lives into D&D....My fiancee and I have had to take a break because of finances and finding a group we can actually enjoy playing with.

As for the characters we play.....we both love to play characters that force the DM to change their original concept.....like when he played the schizophrenic gnome wizard or I played the asherati monk-rogue in a desert campaign. Those were the good times. Can't wait to find a group and try out a dragon shaman!

tobi
August 31st, 2010, 11:35 AM
Every now and then. Right now my gaming group and I are playing World of Darkness, but one of our players is planning to run a D&D game for us and I'm looking forward to it. I haven't played in over a year.