PDA

View Full Version : Back from Iraq, Frisco soldier finds home sold by HOA

Toriach
May 17th, 2010, 12:03 AM
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Frisco-soldier-comes-home-to-find-home-sold-by-HOA-93829194.html

A soldier returned home from combat to find his Frisco home, which was owned free and clear, sold off by his homeowners' association.

While there is a law to protect service members from financial disaster while they're off fighting a war, it is frequently broken.

On dangerous missions in Iraq, Capt. Michael Clauer of Frisco was responsible for the lives of 130 soldiers. He had a lot on his mind.

"You can't worry about what's going on at home," he said. "It's enough stress there the way it is."

His wife, Mae Clauer, was under stress, too. She was alone and taking care of her family in a $300,000 home her parents had given her as a gift.

"When Michael went to Iraq, I went into a very bad depression," she said.

Nox_Mortus
May 17th, 2010, 12:10 AM
how can they even do that? I would have gone Rambo on their asses.

yeah HOAs seriously need to have limits put on what they can and cannot do, they exist to prevent people from doing really obnoxious shit that drives down the value of neighboring properties, nothing more.

Caitlin.ann
May 17th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I'm not surprised. My HOA gets bitchy if they see dandelions in someones yard.

Kraheera
May 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
This is why I refuse to live where there is an HOA. They drive me nuts with their rules. "You can't own that type of car, you can't have toys in your yard, y ou can't do this, you can't do that."

And god help you if you go on vacation for a month, which is NORMAL in a military family. Because, you know, your grass could grow 1/8 of an inch too tall.

Caitlin.ann
May 17th, 2010, 01:29 PM
No boats where they can be seen from the street, no dandelions, approval for landscaping, etc. HOAs suck.

Shaedema
May 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
HOAs suck.

:thumbsup:

RaeCori
September 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
No boats where they can be seen from the street, no dandelions, approval for landscaping, etc. HOAs suck.

Holy crap! Even when I lived on base they weren't that anal retentive about things. I'm so very glad that I don't have to deal with that!

sarabethv
September 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
HOAs do suck - I have had a run in or three with them when my yard guys were a week late and there were weeds. I found its cheaper and easier just to pay someone $40 a month to do the work.

On the other hand think about not having them and your neighbors never clean their yard or are running a fix it shop in the front yard or have 4-5 cars up on jacks in the front yard. This is why HOAs started in the first place.

Kraheera
September 12th, 2010, 10:30 PM
HOAs do suck - I have had a run in or three with them when my yard guys were a week late and there were weeds. I found its cheaper and easier just to pay someone $40 a month to do the work.

On the other hand think about not having them and your neighbors never clean their yard or are running a fix it shop in the front yard or have 4-5 cars up on jacks in the front yard. This is why HOAs started in the first place.
I would rather have sucky neighbors driving down prices than have someone else telling me what to do with MY land, or MY house.

Yeah, it sucks having neighbors sometimes. But guess what? That's THEIR house. It's called living together, and not being asses. I don't need some snobby neighbor telling me my grass is too long, and I definitely don't need them saying "You have to have a white or brick house. You cannot stand out. CONFORM!"

BryonMorrigan
September 13th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I thought there was a law against doing this sort of thing while a soldier was away?

Kraheera
September 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I thought there was a law against doing this sort of thing while a soldier was away?

I think it's the Soldier Relief Act, but I could be wrong.

And HOA's might have a loophole, actually. Contracts and all that jazz.

IndigoRising
September 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM
thats pretty messed up.. the HOA has NO ownership over the properties at all.. whatsoever.,. I am really confused how this could have happened.. they can indeed be anal retentive.. my last encounter with one.. we were not even allowed to have drapes unless they were white.. for uniformity!! I didn't buy a house to have it be the same as everyone else's. If I had wanted that I would live in an apartment.. They really go too far

BryonMorrigan
September 13th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I would personally never buy a property that had a HOA, but I understand that a soldier often has less choice in the matter, since he/she can't exactly say, "Gee, I wanna quit this job and live in a more affordable area!"

I hope that soldier's face is plastered all over the news and the HOA is shamed mercilessly.

blithespirit
September 13th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I found a happy update to the story! (http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/08/michael-clauer-update)

As of now, it looks like Michael, his wife May, and their two children will get their home back. The financial terms of the settlement are confidential.

The Clauers were saved by a law called the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, which essentially forbids foreclosing on active-duty troops. If Michael hadn't been on active duty, the Clauers might not have had any legal recourse.