PDA

View Full Version : Inducing Altered States of Consciousness

Ailyn
May 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
What are some ways of inducing altered consciousness in CR and Irish practices? I know some people use drumming, chanting, smoking, etc... but I'm not sure which of these would be culturally accurate or adaptable? Any info or references would be much appreciated. :smile:

odubhain
May 25th, 2010, 08:19 AM
What are some ways of inducing altered consciousness in CR and Irish practices? I know some people use drumming, chanting, smoking, etc... but I'm not sure which of these would be culturally accurate or adaptable? Any info or references would be much appreciated. :smile:

The ways I've seen mentioned are through chanting, dreaming, sensory deprivation, ordeals, entraining the mind through sounds or gazing at an object, ingesting herbs/shrooms, and calling upon the gods. There's also a possibility they used sweat houses for this but that's only based on circumstantial evidence without references to actual practice. The specifics of most of these techniques are not often provided in a Celtic context, but that should not be difficult to reconstruct while using modern science and practices to keep the process safe and effective.

Searles O'Dubhain