PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn how to sew...

Strawbearry_PANDA
May 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Hey, I'm kind of new to wicca and I'm a firm believer that what you make is more powerful than what you buy. I want to learn how to sew, because I want to put my personal energy into what I make, and also I'd like to make unique things. :3

Can someone give me advice? I tried going to a class but it was just....bah... I didn't much like it, haha. I know you gotta swim in shallow water before moving to the deep end but... I just didn't feel it, you know?

misskitcat
May 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM
There are some good books out there. Here's what a recommended for beginners.

New Complete Guide to Sewing (Readers Digest)
The My First Sewing Book Series is geared for kids, but really good.

If you can get a mentor, they can help a lot.

What are you looking to make?

Strawbearry_PANDA
May 27th, 2010, 12:24 PM
There are some good books out there. Here's what a recommended for beginners.

New Complete Guide to Sewing (Readers Digest)
The My First Sewing Book Series is geared for kids, but really good.

If you can get a mentor, they can help a lot.

What are you looking to make?

Ah, thanks so much! I'll try to get a hold of them. ^^

Well, mainly attire, hats, Sabbat dresses, ritual attire, maybe embroider altar cloths, things like that. <;D

EllieBelle
August 5th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I agree- the act of making an item imbues it with more power than you would ever find in a storebought item. Some of my most powerful tools are handmade.

You sound a little - okay, a lot- like me in your desire to skip the boring stuff in learning to sew and move straight on to the fun stuff. And for some people, that really is the best way to go. I taught myself how to sew from a cheap storebought pattern and some scrap fabric my Mom had lying around. Commercial patterns are great for beginning sewers, since they have step by step instructions and illustrations. I agree with MissKitCat, too, that a mentor is also a great resource to have.

I run a sewing blog called Open Source Stitches, and am currently running a series of posts on clothing design, going from the paper sketch to the finished product. If you're interested in creating your own custom clothes and Sabbat dresses, you should pop over from time to time and check out the tutorials I'm posting. *end shameless self promotion* I also recommend checking out CutOutAndKeep.net and Craftster.org- they have archives full of projects and tutorials.

sari0009
August 6th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Hey, I'm kind of new to wicca and I'm a firm believer that what you make is more powerful than what you buy. I want to learn how to sew, because I want to put my personal energy into what I make, and also I'd like to make unique things. :3

Can someone give me advice? I tried going to a class but it was just....bah... I didn't much like it, haha. I know you gotta swim in shallow water before moving to the deep end but... I just didn't feel it, you know?

Know your craft, know yourself! Get a book on the basics of sewing, get advice from friends, and/or watch related videos online -- whatever works for your personal preferences and learning style. For my future daughter-in-law, starting to sew with me was what got her off the ground. Me, I prefer and excel by teaching myself or by referring to books and videos that take a visual approach to covering sewing and fabric arts (less words, more pictures).

If applicable, know your machine , oil it occasionally and remember TNT -- use the type and quality thread for your project, the right sized needle in good condition (change every 7 to 9 hours of sewing is recommended), and know the right thread tension for the thread and fabric.

For items that will be laundered, do wash (and possibly iron, depending on type of fabric) material according to directions before cutting out and sewing. Don't let needle hit pin. Do make sure seam allowance is sufficient. Do clip around seam corners. Ironing seams flat in the correct manner really does make a difference. If you sew by hand, learn how to best avoid knots (easily looked up online).

Once armed with a few facts and a few simple projects to begin with, it's a relatively easy but powerful craft.

You'll find some people only follow sewing patterns or others' projects while others feel comfortable making changes to patterns or making their own patterns all together. Me, I hate following commercial patterns' instructions. I'm mostly self-taught but as I got more into it, I did buy some reference books and books on specific types of fabric arts. But then that makes sense for me because I'm more of a visual thinker and an artist. And I can be very bullheaded about the way I learn. But it works for me.

So do what works for you.

There are now oodles of sites online that give you sewing basics, patterns, and techniques in either A-Z or project oriented format. You'll find your preferences as you go, I guess.

sari0009
August 6th, 2010, 01:23 AM
...New Complete Guide to Sewing (Readers Digest)

That's the one I have. Great book. Although mine says nothing about kids in/on it.