PDA

View Full Version : Lilith / Working with Spirits

Circe
July 3rd, 2010, 12:49 AM
Greetings! I have some questions that seem best posed here and I thank you in advance for reading.

On the advise of a friend I prepared a meal for my ancestors last All Souls. I found, to my surprise, that I can hear spirits quite clearly.

Around that time, I had repeatedly come across the story of Lilith and found her compelling. Although it's debatable, I didn't think she was a demon but a feminine spirit maligned by increasingly patriarchal societies. I decided not to summon her but to try preparing a meal for her as well. Her feast is a few days after All Soul's. I felt her presence as I cooked and this grew stronger as we shared a meal. I found we could actually... converse. Yes, that sounds insane, lol.

I enjoyed her company and in the next month I set up a simple altar for her. As back story, I should add that my life had been pretty difficult and I was deep in depression. Lilith helped me get on my feet, get through the day and certainly contributed to serious improvements in my life. It's really been amazing.

It seems however that she prevents me from connecting with men even as friends. I'm also having some trouble when I try to work with Kabalah and when I went to mass (not a usual event) two class votives burst and other candles went out, which could be coincidence. But I suspect she didn't like church. These things shouldn't be too surprising, considering her myths. I mean she is evolving, but I guess there is also truth to them.

The other thing I seem to be observing, as a new student of African Traditional Religion, is that she is not seeming to get along well with my Saint (guardian). Altogether, I am feeling a lot of pressure, like I've set off a battle. Or two.

Any ideas on sorting things out? I enjoy working with her and she's brought me good things, but I'd like to have normal friendships, work with my Saint, practice ATR and attend Mass, if need be.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Much luv!

~ Circe

David19
July 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
To me, I view Lilith as a very powerful demon, who, perhaps, may have evolved into some type of Goddess/divine figure (in certain Jewish sources, when The Shekinah was sent into Exile with the Jews, YHWH was said to have taken Lilith as his consort and elevated her to that position, in order to keep the universe running smoothly (it depends on the balance of male and female energy or something similar).

There's been a lot of threads on Lilith in the Gods & Goddesses forum, so, maybe do a search for more info, but, that said, here's a recent good thread on her (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=230597). I mainly agree with what the poster RoseKitten says about her.

Hope this helps :).

RoseKitten
July 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Although it's debatable, I didn't think she was a demon but a feminine spirit maligned by increasingly patriarchal societies.

I'm far too tired to really answer the rest of your post, but I might not want to depending on your answer to my next question.

How do you demonize a being who's first recording, was in fact, that of a demon? Lilith was known for doing horrible things. She wasn't demonized over time, but started as a demon.

kagekarasu
July 4th, 2010, 12:00 AM
One, it depends on what you consider a demon to be. It's it something evil, or just something of a different energy vibration. Also, you have to look at who and what type of society is recording anything about them. How do they look at women, what are all the myths, cause in some myths it says she carried out the wraiths of Ishtar, which meaning she did someone else's dirty work. You also have to remember that even God, who's suppose to love you and wanting nothing but good for you has been very vengeful and cruel in the past and is still known to put people in an eternity of pain and suffering.

RoseKitten
July 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
One, it depends on what you consider a demon to be. It's it something evil, or just something of a different energy vibration. Also, you have to look at who and what type of society is recording anything about them. How do they look at women, what are all the myths, cause in some myths it says she carried out the wraiths of Ishtar, which meaning she did someone else's dirty work. You also have to remember that even God, who's suppose to love you and wanting nothing but good for you has been very vengeful and cruel in the past and is still known to put people in an eternity of pain and suffering.

Considering that Inanna and Ishtar were both very well respected, no, I wouldn't buy that it was society that "demonized" Lilith. She carried out the dirty work of Inanna because she refused to leave her alone. It wasn't that Inanna forced her into anything, but that when she was off doing whatever task she was given, she wasn't bothering Inanna.

Your comment about God is irrelevant in this thread, by the way.

Circe
July 4th, 2010, 12:57 AM
@ David - Thank you for sending me over there. I see Gods / Goddesses would have been a more appropriate place to post. <_< There's a lot of great content over there and it's already been helpful. Also, I apologize to anyone who's bothered by this thread being here. If anyone asks, I'll try to have it moved.

@RoseKitten - That's a good point. Usually, gods are demonized when one culture tries to overthrow another.

I was skeptical that she was demon from the start because the first thing I read about her said she was held responsible for nocturnal emissions. That disease was blamed on her in a time and place where people had no concept of germ theory didn't seem credible either. Likewise with infant mortality. And hearing that men blamed lust and problems with performance on a spirit smacks of "the devil made me do it." Was she a prostitute or the beautiful girl everyone was jealous of and labeled a slut? Of course, that is some pretty serious revisionism on my part and I see the error in trying to redeem her in this manner. It is important to examine history in it's context, but to sanitize Lilith is to take her out of context.

I wondered, who was she, that her story takes her from common wind spirit to demon and then possibly goddess? Something kept her not only from being lost, but actually moving from Mesopotamia to Sumeria and Babylon to Canaan to Europe to the Americas. It's pretty incredible in terms of evolution and geographic progression. Each thing I learned compelled me to do more research and the dissenting views on her identity persuaded me that she had become a goddess.

@ kagekarasu - I agree, my friend, it completely depends on perspective and, of course, several things can be true at once. And I see what you're saying about God. Just as he has negative emanations in the duality of creation and has been known to deliver unpleasant punishments, experiences with demons can apparently have some pleasant aspects. But even though energy is neutral, it can have effects which from our perspective may not seem so neutral. And here it comes down to choice; what effects do you want to create? I've found that I don't like all the consequences of working with Lilith's energy, not that it hasn't been heady!

I should say, from my latest research she wasn't exactly some independent woman maligned by patriarchy. Independant and female yes, but maligned, not so much. Contrary to my assumptions, it seems Mesopotamian culture wasn't misogynistic as the Abrahamic faiths have more recently been. It seems to have been more balanced and included female deities; not denying the feminine aspect of God. As for the specific accusations, I think I'm going to stick closer to the original myths that also ascribe her with a uniquely free will.

Thank you very much, David, RoseKitten and kagekarasu, for your responses and help!

David19
July 5th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Considering that Inanna and Ishtar were both very well respected, no, I wouldn't buy that it was society that "demonized" Lilith. She carried out the dirty work of Inanna because she refused to leave her alone. It wasn't that Inanna forced her into anything, but that when she was off doing whatever task she was given, she wasn't bothering Inanna.

I very much agree with RoseKitten, the Sumerians may not have been a perfect utopia for women, but, that has no bearing on Lilith being a demon (Inanna was also one of the most popular Gods of the Mesopotamians as well).

RoseKitten
July 6th, 2010, 03:21 AM
@RoseKitten - That's a good point. Usually, gods are demonized when one culture tries to overthrow another.

I was skeptical that she was demon from the start because the first thing I read about her said she was held responsible for nocturnal emissions. That disease was blamed on her in a time and place where people had no concept of germ theory didn't seem credible either. Likewise with infant mortality.

Who says she isn't the one behind the germs and diseases. ;) It was commonly thought through Sumer that demons of various sorts were responsible for diseases. Just because since pinpoint the "real" stuff behind it, doesn't change that belief. If since proves that there's a specific mechanism behind how magic works, would that change the fact that it works? :)

ninurta2008
July 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I very much agree with RoseKitten, the Sumerians may not have been a perfect utopia for women, but, that has no bearing on Lilith being a demon (Inanna was also one of the most popular Gods of the Mesopotamians as well).
Also, not to forget that ancient Mesopotamia wasn't a dystopia for women either. While it was a patriarchy, it did allow women to own land in some parts, and have freedom not found in the west for much later. While not equal to men, it was far better than people might assumed ancient Iraq to be. Women could own their own land, even their own buisnesses.

David19
July 6th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Who says she isn't the one behind the germs and diseases. ;) It was commonly thought through Sumer that demons of various sorts were responsible for diseases. Just because since pinpoint the "real" stuff behind it, doesn't change that belief. If since proves that there's a specific mechanism behind how magic works, would that change the fact that it works? :)

Interesting perspective, and actually, I quite like that. It reminds me of something I read on a Jewish forum, about demonology, one Jew said, what people called demons, we now call viruses and bacteria - things we can't see, but, cause harm, or, in other cases (in Judaism, there are good demons, as well as evil). I think I actually do like that view. Maybe it is Lilith who's responsible for cot deaths, there might be a specific cause for it that science has discovered, but, she could still be what causes it.

Also, not to forget that ancient Mesopotamia wasn't a dystopia for women either. While it was a patriarchy, it did allow women to own land in some parts, and have freedom not found in the west for much later. While not equal to men, it was far better than people might assumed ancient Iraq to be. Women could own their own land, even their own buisnesses.

Very true, in some respects, women had it better than they do now in Iraq, and other parts of the Middle East.

kagekarasu
July 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
How did she refuse not to leave her alone. I understand perfectly that she followed Inanna around and asked what it was she could do for her, but she was Inanna's servant and that's what a servant does.

It can said society demonized her, as most of the myths surrounding her have to do with two things mostly, her being something similar to a succubus and eating babies. Now yes, the eating babies is bad, but I can also see that stemming from her sexual behaviors and angry wives blaming her for either their husbands unfaithfulness plus them having a miscarriage, which for hundreds of years was said you could have one by your husband sleeping with someone else, especially something demonic.

Lilith was also known through certain myths to be a prostitute and even the handmaiden/ head prostitute of Ishtar, and where in history have prostitutes not been considered blood sucking, disease spreading husband stealers who were also thought or even made to be baron, which is said to be part of the reason Lilith supposedly killed babies to begin with.

Like I said, society could have very well demonized Lilith due to her acts and revolting against the way she was suppose to act in society. Now yes, in those times it can be said that women were said to be better off than parts of Iraq right now and through out it's history, but it was still male dominant and women were suppose to play a certain role in society. In Mesopotamia women were meant to go from being good daughters to being wives, mothers and housekeepers. You really don't think people would demonize or slander someone who went against the very thing society was teaching to try and keep women from doing the same thing? We see similar things happen even today to women who are considered "free spirited" and do whatever they want, just look at an tabloid and you can see that.

No it's not. It's a correlation of how one thing was perceived and how in time it changed to the opposite by the means of what people wanted it be to serve the purpose they had in mind.

As for any god/dess being responsible for disease, it could be any of them or not at all. It could just be science in general, as how we evolved so did everything else and disease and bacteria are no different. It's just in that time period no one knew of how a single cell organism could evolve or how you can actually create diseases and bacteria, so someone else had to be the cause of it. Someone had to be the scapegoat cause why would it happen unless it was someone bad who didn't like us, which leads more to why a being/deity would be created or changed to serve a purpose of explaining such things.

Circe
July 8th, 2010, 10:56 PM

Right, like if I do a spell for money, whether I gain money by getting a raise, receiving it as a gift or finding it, I consider my spell a success. Those are the mechanics of spellwork and of the spirit world, so why change the rules here?

Circe
July 8th, 2010, 11:46 PM
It can said society demonized her, as most of the myths surrounding her have to do with two things mostly, her being something similar to a succubus and eating babies. Now yes, the eating babies is bad, but I can also see that stemming from her sexual behaviors and angry wives blaming her for either their husbands unfaithfulness plus them having a miscarriage, which for hundreds of years was said you could have one by your husband sleeping with someone else, especially something demonic.

Like I said, society could have very well demonized Lilith due to her acts and revolting against the way she was suppose to act in society... You really don't think people would demonize or slander someone who went against the very thing society was teaching to try and keep women from doing the same thing? We see similar things happen even today to women who are considered "free spirited" and do whatever they want, just look at an tabloid and you can see that... Someone had to be the scapegoat cause why would it happen unless it was someone bad who didn't like us, which leads more to why a being/deity would be created or changed to serve a purpose of explaining such things.

If their society was so rigid about women who are free-spirited and that caused them to demonize Lilith, why did they worship Inanna? She was a 'bad girl' when it came to her relationships with males; all her lovers, even Gods died when she was done with them. If your estimation of Sumerian society is correct, she definitely should have been demonized! What sexual behavior would people think worse of, having many lovers or having many lovers and leaving them all dead?

I don't think you can pick and choose when you want to take myths at face value and when you want to debunk them. Either they hold truth, maybe not completely literal, or they don't, but to say Lilith was demonized by jealous Sumerian women because of her nightly escapades when there is a strong, very sexually-liberated Goddess in the Sumerian pantheon defies logic.

Maybe Lilith actually was 'bad' and didn't like people, and therefore wasn't a scapegoat, but an evil (as humans understand it) spirit.

I think you noticed the mystery in the relationship between Inanna and Lilith. At first Inanna was plagued by Lilith (Gilgamesh Epic) and then used the apparent demon as her gopher, becoming the Hand of Inanna. Hmmmm.

And about women being slandered in tabloids today? You're right, and we're still living in a primarily monotheistic society with a male God and deep roots in puritanism.

The Black Elf
July 13th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Hi Circe,

Lilith is also Dark Mistress of VOID,female archetype to be exact.

VOID being the vast untapped reservoir of the Great Unmanifest,simply the subatomic level which unites us all as we are all attached to this & rely upon it,as do all things.(eh,can illustrate this if you like)

Is your african thing a relative of JUH-JUH?

Sounds very authentic.

Great love,

TBE.

HAIL LILITH!

HEIL VOID!

Circe is kinda Italian Templar are far as I know,who did they rip it off from?

Circe
July 16th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Lilith is also Dark Mistress of VOID,female archetype to be exact.

VOID being the vast untapped reservoir of the Great Unmanifest,simply the subatomic level which unites us all as we are all attached to this & rely upon it,as do all things.(eh,can illustrate this if you like)

What you're explaining reminds me very much like a branch of Shaktism that venerates Kali. In one Kalikula text, the Mahanirvana-tantra, Shiva is quoted praising her:

"At the dissolution of things, it is Kala [Time] Who will devour all, and by reason of this He is called Mahakala [an epithet of Lord Shiva], and since Thou devourest Mahakala Himself, it is Thou who art the Supreme Primordial Kalika. Because Thou devourest Kala, Thou art Kali, the original form of all things, and because Thou art the Origin of and devourest all things Thou art called the Adya [primordial Kali]. Resuming after Dissolution Thine own form, dark and formless, Thou alone remainest as One ineffable and inconceivable. Though having a form, yet art Thou formless; though Thyself without beginning, multiform by the power of Maya, Thou art the Beginning of all, Creatrix, Protectress, and Destructress that Thou art."

(To be clear, I'm not equating Kali-Ma with Lilith.)

Is your african thing a relative of JUH-JUH?

Sounds very authentic.

Sounds very... sarcastic. There's a lot western pagans could learn about working with spirits from the Hindu tradition, all the aboriginal and native traditions, the shamanic traditions, and especially the African traditions. Some of the ATR's have unbroken lineages of initiation and priesthood extending before any written record. While some familial lines survived in Europe, most neopagans are in the dark ages compared the knowledge preserved by these other cultures.

Circe is kinda Italian Templar are far as I know,who did they rip it off from

Circe is kinda Italian Templar? Alright then...

Avanti
July 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM
If their society was so rigid about women who are free-spirited and that caused them to demonize Lilith, why did they worship Inanna? She was a 'bad girl' when it came to her relationships with males; all her lovers, even Gods died when she was done with them. If your estimation of Sumerian society is correct, she definitely should have been demonized! What sexual behavior would people think worse of, having many lovers or having many lovers and leaving them all dead?

I don't think you can pick and choose when you want to take myths at face value and when you want to debunk them. Either they hold truth, maybe not completely literal, or they don't, but to say Lilith was demonized by jealous Sumerian women because of her nightly escapades when there is a strong, very sexually-liberated Goddess in the Sumerian pantheon defies logic.

Maybe Lilith actually was 'bad' and didn't like people, and therefore wasn't a scapegoat, but an evil (as humans understand it) spirit.

I think you noticed the mystery in the relationship between Inanna and Lilith. At first Inanna was plagued by Lilith (Gilgamesh Epic) and then used the apparent demon as her gopher, becoming the Hand of Inanna. Hmmmm.

And about women being slandered in tabloids today? You're right, and we're still living in a primarily monotheistic society with a male God and deep roots in puritanism.

This is a very thought provoking discussion! When I first read the thread I was of the opinion that yes Lilith was unfairly demonised by a patriarchal society. It's a common trend I find with some Neo-pagans who 'rescue' female mythological figures who were scorned and feared by ancient people, and reinterpret them as strong independent females unfairly condemned by males. It's become almost a knee jerk response to resist any categorising of a dark female deity as evil. Now this debate has jolted me out of that line of thinking.

Why can't Lilith be evil? Why can't she be a jealous spiteful seeker of harm? These women certainly existed and still exist today.

In my opinion though Kagekarasu isn't entirely wrong. I think part of Lilith's nature has been misunderstood, but part of her still remains dangerous (maybe because she feels misundertood) and that you shouldn't let your guard down when working with her.

But you already know that. So back to your original concern...She's shown that she cares enough about you to help you get back on your feet. You might want to tell her however that part of what makes you happy are your friends, male or female, and all the other energies you work with. They are part of your recovery just as much as she is. Maybe she needs more reassurance and meal sharing to know that she is valued by you as much as anyone else.

Sharedaughter
July 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM
This is a very thought provoking discussion! When I first read the thread I was of the opinion that yes Lilith was unfairly demonised by a patriarchal society. It's a common trend I find with some Neo-pagans who 'rescue' female mythological figures who were scorned and feared by ancient people, and reinterpret them as strong independent females unfairly condemned by males. It's become almost a knee jerk response to resist any categorising of a dark female deity as evil. Now this debate has jolted me out of that line of thinking.

Why can't Lilith be evil? Why can't she be a jealous spiteful seeker of harm? These women certainly existed and still exist today.

In my opinion though Kagekarasu isn't entirely wrong. I think part of Lilith's nature has been misunderstood, but part of her still remains dangerous (maybe because she feels misundertood) and that you shouldn't let your guard down when working with her.

But you already know that. So back to your original concern...She's shown that she cares enough about you to help you get back on your feet. You might want to tell her however that part of what makes you happy are your friends, male or female, and all the other energies you work with. They are part of your recovery just as much as she is. Maybe she needs more reassurance and meal sharing to know that she is valued by you as much as anyone else.

Bolding mine.

I think the sentence I bolded might be as important in a relationship with any god, goddess or spirit as it is with any family member, friend, or SO.

I also agree with the rest of the paragraph.

As for the rest of this discussion and the other one in Gods and Goddess, I am still thinking about it all.

Glo

The Black Elf
August 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM
What you're explaining reminds me very much like a branch of Shaktism that venerates Kali. In one Kalikula text, the Mahanirvana-tantra, Shiva is quoted praising her:

"At the dissolution of things, it is Kala [Time] Who will devour all, and by reason of this He is called Mahakala [an epithet of Lord Shiva], and since Thou devourest Mahakala Himself, it is Thou who art the Supreme Primordial Kalika. Because Thou devourest Kala, Thou art Kali, the original form of all things, and because Thou art the Origin of and devourest all things Thou art called the Adya [primordial Kali]. Resuming after Dissolution Thine own form, dark and formless, Thou alone remainest as One ineffable and inconceivable. Though having a form, yet art Thou formless; though Thyself without beginning, multiform by the power of Maya, Thou art the Beginning of all, Creatrix, Protectress, and Destructress that Thou art."

(To be clear, I'm not equating Kali-Ma with Lilith.)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to such a fine post.I have found in my astral that MA KALI comes in many forms,some you may expect & others you may not......Only twice has Kali ma appeared to me as my *equal* once as healer when I was working at the Temple of Anubis(long story),once when I was sent out into VOID by Ma Durgha(glorious ma!) with Kali at my side for many bloodless victories,the destroyer Kali,after we left the Temple of Trayastan.

On both of these occasions Kali had her more classic form.

Other times (the dark force that is)she appears in different forms.If I am ever powerless & have to give myself over to her protection........eh,this has to do with my heart chakra opening & her being akin to *the great architect of the universe*...MA-SONIC(mother light) ceremony dovetails so beautifully with this.

I have been bitten & devoured many times by *her*

Sounds very... sarcastic. There's a lot western pagans could learn about working with spirits from the Hindu tradition, all the aboriginal and native traditions, the shamanic traditions, and especially the African traditions. Some of the ATR's have unbroken lineages of initiation and priesthood extending before any written record. While some familial lines survived in Europe, most neopagans are in the dark ages compared the knowledge preserved by these other cultures.

No sarcasm intended Circe,As I am VOIDIAN template archetype soul I have searched for the watermark in each belief system *young & old*(all is current or eternal)....I love the way divine forces are labelled by different cultures,only the names & language change as they develope & are ever developing as they shall ever develope....

Lilith as female principal of VOID dovetails with the Fae & with kaballah,If you like you could think of her as a close relative of MA Kali & even lady Sehkmet........Similarly Anubis has a brother/close relative Shiva when you get out of the black & into the blue.

I am obliged to you for your response & great labels.Templars of Circe(Kirk) are nicely explained in the link I sent you by pm.a Team Pull is the origin of Temple,team pullers are way more ancient that the dickhead illuminati who were *disbanded* 1306 lolz.

all the best,

TBE

Yticilef
August 15th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Interesting perspective, and actually, I quite like that. It reminds me of something I read on a Jewish forum, about demonology, one Jew said, what people called demons, we now call viruses and bacteria - things we can't see, but, cause harm, or, in other cases (in Judaism, there are good demons, as well as evil). I think I actually do like that view. Maybe it is Lilith who's responsible for cot deaths, there might be a specific cause for it that science has discovered, but, she could still be what causes it.

Very true, in some respects, women had it better than they do now in Iraq, and other parts of the Middle East.

What an interesting thread, my understanding in Kabbalah is that there is nothing that does not emanate from the Creative force, which is always in the processing of bestowing or creating, so the perception of good and evil lies not with the entities but how we perceive their impact on our lives and desires.
If we, and we all act to fulfill our desires, see them as a block, then we see them as evil. But they, like all that is associated with the two towers of energy that either give or take away, are essential to us forming a zone of balance, the Middle Path.
The word demon was I understand a product of the Church, up until then, it was daemon. Thanks for all the fantastic references and perspectives...

In biodynamics, viruses were also seen as belonging to a higher order, which is why, the last thing we should be doing, is genetically manipulating them in the ignorant believe we are doing the manipulation. Ie the herpes virus being used as a viral vector in crops....

Yticilef

sidhe
August 18th, 2010, 06:59 AM
What an interesting thread, my understanding in Kabbalah is that there is nothing that does not emanate from the Creative force, which is always in the processing of bestowing or creating, so the perception of good and evil lies not with the entities but how we perceive their impact on our lives and desires.

That's it in one.

To explain it Qabalistically using the Tree, and with Malkuth as the example:

Malkuth and Lilith (the Qliphothic sphere, not the Demon Goddess Queen. The Qliphothic sphere "Lilith" is ruled by her daughter) are one and the same. Malkuth is the world full of the light of the Ain Soph Aur, and Lilith is the same world separated from the light.

The only contention I'd have is that dividing it into "good" and "evil" denies the inherent monism of QBL. Lilith (the sphere) and Na'amah (the ruling demon) are no more "evil" than Malkuth and Malkah. The fundamental difference is more of Dionysian or Apollonian existence, and while Apollonian thought has some advantages in the office, the best parties have the underlying Dionysian chaos. To the pure, all things are pure.

The Black Elf
August 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM
There is only a demon-time in my culture.

The Moon(satellite) alligns with Mercury(Planet),alligns with Algol(Star),then clusters & superclusters.........as well as the macrocosm,the energy alligns with the microcosm too,even the space inbetween incredibly tightly packed matter such as you find in Black holes.

Any of this resonate with the Kaballists of whatever spelling or pronunciation?

At-a-dam-in-time,of course..eh in the dimension where time = quantum loup gravity,everything being in nature time or *eternity* or the current

The Black Elf
September 25th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Loving this full moon,the gates of VOID are so open.

This being the realm of Lilith as principal female deity,as she is also female archetype of the Fae.:)

Every chakra a star,every star constellation a chakra,every chakra star cluster,every supercluster a chakra....Hail Lilith!

HEIL VOID!