PDA

View Full Version : Maiden, Mother, Crone....

Hestia
May 21st, 2001, 09:44 PM
This question applies mainly to the ladies right now---do you identify with the aspect of the Triple Goddess that corresponds to that phase of your life? (i.e...the Maiden if you're in your teens, early twenties, the Mother if your a mom, etc...) Or are you drawn to the aspect of the Goddess that's completely different from your own cycle. For instance, I have always identified with the Crone. I don't think I was ever a Maiden and even as a young child I always prefered being around elder women. I have been told a few times that I am an old soul and this maybe why. I didn't automatically become Mother when my son was born but eased into it over the years, and I really feel that I will not feel at home in my body until I've had a few more birthdays. Has anyone else experienced this?

Mairwen
May 21st, 2001, 10:32 PM
I, too, have been Crone my whole life. However, there are those who say that you should "follow" those related to your current life cycle. I say "hooey!" ~ "follow" who you're drawn to, as you're drawn to those Gods for a reason!

Maggie
May 22nd, 2001, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Hestia
This question applies mainly to the ladies right now---do you identify with the aspect of the Triple Goddess that corresponds to that phase of your life? (i.e...the Maiden if you're in your teens, early twenties, the Mother if your a mom, etc...) Or are you drawn to the aspect of the Goddess that's completely different from your own cycle. For instance, I have always identified with the Crone. I don't think I was ever a Maiden and even as a young child I always prefered being around elder women. I have been told a few times that I am an old soul and this maybe why. I didn't automatically become Mother when my son was born but eased into it over the years, and I really feel that I will not feel at home in my body until I've had a few more birthdays. Has anyone else experienced this?

As a celtic pagan I don't generally deal with the Triple Goddess, and even before I found that path I didn't feel much pull toward the concept. I will admit that I did feel like a very naive Maiden until I was about 30 or so <G> but the Mother stages and the Crone have ended up sorta blending together. My children are grown but there are times that we still need each other. I am in a new marriage and there are certainly times that I don't feel I've moved beyond the Mother there either! I still create things of different sorts and have felt no real stirrings of the Crone yet at all, I'm afraid I like the Mother stage too much, it feels right.

Maggie

Hestia
May 22nd, 2001, 02:53 PM
Cool avatar Mairwen!!

Mairwen
May 22nd, 2001, 02:57 PM
*blush* Why, thank you! And might I add, I love yours!!

Hestia
May 22nd, 2001, 03:24 PM
Gee, thanks! Do you have a larger image of yours? I'd love to see the detail if you do :)

Mairwen
May 22nd, 2001, 03:27 PM
Nope.

Let's pull this back on-topic, please.

Mariposa De La Luna
May 22nd, 2001, 03:41 PM
I definitely identify with the Mother aspect. I too was never the Maiden. I did not have a "normal" childhood and wasn't even a "normal" teenager. I had my first very young and have been mommy for the past 8+ years. I like it and I've never regretted it. I figure I'll still be young enough when my kids grow up and then I may be a maiden and party till I drop. :)

Tigerwallah
May 25th, 2001, 08:54 AM
I have always felt like a blending of the three. I can't remember a time when I identified myself as one or the other. It has always seemed to me that I have aspects of all three. I am not a mother, but I am a mother figure to my sister's children, and before that was a manager to many employees who I cared for as a mother would her children. I am without a man, and although have been with many men, have always been "without a man" in the sense that I have always felt alone, and wanted it to be that way. As for crone, I too have been told that I have a very old soul, and I often act the part of the crone - I am much like Shirley McLain's Character in Steele Magnolias, and did not get that way with age. I just am that way - I don't care what the rest of society thinks of me, I don't watch what flies out of my mouth, and I don't compromise, oh and I wear funny looking hats and my pajamas to work. My best friend said that I remind her of the poem, "When I am Old, I Shall Wear Purple."

loopy
May 27th, 2001, 12:28 AM
I'm still a teenager, but I find myself more drawn to the Mother aspect--that is, mostly when I picture the Goddess, I picture her as a reassuring mother-type. Sometimes it depends on the myth I just finished reading, though. :D

Emerald Sky
May 27th, 2001, 11:28 PM
I strongly attach to the Mother aspect. I've always been the Mother in a way... nurturing, caring and protective of others... making sure everyone is content and has what they need etc. Now that I actually *am* a mother, I see why I've always identified with it. It's just so much a part of who I am and what I feel inside.

kitchen_witch
March 18th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I have always been a Mother, I am happiest when being a Mother. There is a true sense of growing and changing in the world and air around you, you can smell the seasons and hear the winds change. Rising bread makes you proud that you have helped to create something that will nourish and comfort someone,I look forwar to being a Crone however. Watching those you love come into thier own and the knowing that will settle into your bones and soul like a soft shawl over your shoulders warming you with its embrace.

pixidust
March 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM
I have been drawn to mother. I never had much of a childhood and pretty much took care of myself and my siblings. I still play mother hen over my brother and sister. I chuckle though, if i'm such a mother hen over them what will i be like when i do have children of my own? lol

Kadynas
March 26th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Even though I'm 26 and married I still feel as though I'm in the maiden phase... I don't choose to have children this life, but I think when I get to the point that I can have my own home and a little bit of land to care for, as well as some "furry children" then I will consider myself more in the mother phase. :)

Morr
March 26th, 2005, 06:37 AM
I dont really work with the whole "Maiden - Mother - Crone" Goddess Cycle.
But I'd have to say that if I were to use those definitions and apply them to myself, I'd say that I'm in my Maiden stage, but with strong Mother influences.

CaitrionaMorgaine
March 26th, 2005, 04:03 PM
As I wrote in another thread:

I don't view myself as a Maiden, and I am not yet in the Mother aspect. For me, the Maiden symbolizes the innocence of youth, and will always be connected in some small way to the aspect of sexuality, but not necessarily virginity. In my mind a Maiden is not yet aware of herself as a sexual being--her sexual awakening has not occurred yet.

It isn't about virginity, because there are events that can happen where a female's virignity is taken before she is sexually awakened. I have known several women who were raped/molested/became sexually active at a young age...and that affected their ability to become comfortable with themselves as sexual beings.

After a female has become aware of her body, her desires, the power inherent in sexuality, ect....but before she becomes a mother....I use the term Enchantress for this phase. That's where I'm at in my life.

However, I'm often considered a "mother" type. I often take on the qualities associated with the role when dealing with others.

Besides, what about women who chose not to have children, or who can't have children? They don't just suddenly go from Maiden to Crone, do they? Breaking things down into a triplicate like this just doesn't work, and it's why I don't include it in my personal practices. I think that women exhibit characteristics from all aspects at all times in their life.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon

aine_moonlight
April 23rd, 2005, 02:38 AM
i have never seen myself as maiden i had my daughter quite young so i fitted right into mother quite easily i love being the caring loving one always looking out for her it just seems to fit me but i wonder since ill not get to see much of my twenties and probably thirties will i regress into maiden and party like mad then?? lol _twohorns_

argento_occhi
April 23rd, 2005, 10:08 AM

I don't view myself as a Maiden, and I am not yet in the Mother aspect. For me, the Maiden symbolizes the innocence of youth, and will always be connected in some small way to the aspect of sexuality, but not necessarily virginity. In my mind a Maiden is not yet aware of herself as a sexual being--her sexual awakening has not occurred yet.

It isn't about virginity, because there are events that can happen where a female's virignity is taken before she is sexually awakened. I have known several women who were raped/molested/became sexually active at a young age...and that affected their ability to become comfortable with themselves as sexual beings.

After a female has become aware of her body, her desires, the power inherent in sexuality, ect....but before she becomes a mother....I use the term Enchantress for this phase. That's where I'm at in my life.

However, I'm often considered a "mother" type. I often take on the qualities associated with the role when dealing with others.

Besides, what about women who chose not to have children, or who can't have children? They don't just suddenly go from Maiden to Crone, do they? Breaking things down into a triplicate like this just doesn't work, and it's why I don't include it in my personal practices. I think that women exhibit characteristics from all aspects at all times in their life.

I've never really identified with the whole triple-goddess thing, and your post has just made me realise why. There's nothing between maiden and mother. I feel like I left my maidenhood behind years ago, but I'm not a mother, and i don't think I will be for some time yet. Enchantress makes so much sense now. That's where I am, if i had to use those designations to describe myself generally.

I agree that it's not a linear thing, than you don't go through life going through maiden, mother and crone as if it's a progressions of age/time like that. Another reason why I've never felt comfortable with it. For me, it's too simplistic, no offence to those who identify with it. No one's ever only a mother or a maiden or a crone. We are all things all the time, sometimes one side shining through more than the others.

I remember when I first read about the triple goddess thing, I was adamantly searching to define a masculine/male triplicate, though not finding a trplie I fully liked. I thinkI came to finish up with warrior-father-sage/wise man, though that still doesn't quite satisfy me. But, of course, as I said, these designations are too simplistic to me, you can't define anyone solely using these designations. I am more than a maiden, more than an enchantress, I am who I am. To define myself simply as an enchantress is to define only one aspect of my personality. And yes this is turning into a rant, somewhat, i apologise for that. I'll stop now before I rant your heads off.

bright blessings,
argent

Redshire
April 25th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I recognize the phases a woman goes through in her life (maiden, mother, crone), but I also see these three phases coming and going their circular ways throughout every aspect of our lives.

IMHO, the metaphore applies to the little day-to-day things (a project, a relationship, etc) as well as the lifelong process. I also believe that one does not need to have children in order to enter the Mother phase. Aquiring and protecting a new job, hobby, property, relationship... those all require Mother qualaties to uphold.

em hotep

Khuinaset
April 25th, 2005, 09:45 PM

I completely agree. If it works for you, great, but it personally rather annoys me when I see people trying to categorize a goddess as a maiden, mother, or crone(given that they weren't portrayed that way historically). I just don't see a point in trying to use three categories to define someone as complex as a person or a deity.

*if this is worded badly, sorry, I'm sleepy! :p *

Atropos
May 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Lovely post. I identify with Atropos, crone. With a bit of a motherly side. I always have. I have used this sn since I was a very young kid online. I did not have much of a childhood. Well did but there were many things that made me grow up very quickly. I took care of and still do in many aspects my family. Have since I was a child. I can not have children of my own so my motherly side goes to taking care of my friends, husband, family, pets. I have always been told that I act too old and am too wise for my age. I've been through alot to bring me to this point. Atropos has been a constant guide wether I knew if or not. She has always been there.