PDA

View Full Version : Rider deck creeps me out...

dragenfly
July 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I dont know why but the rider deck gives me the ibbiegibbies i just dont like it. I have the Garden of the Moon deck and love it. This deck is lively. cards always pop out while i shuffle demanding to be paid attention. Very accurate readings too. Anyway /rant off...

Gaudior
July 19th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I love the rider deck. It's my first (and only right now, want to get the thoth deck soon :D ) tarot deck, and learning how to use it has been amazing.

Is it the art that creeps you out? Just askin'

Chaos Hawk
July 19th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I can't say as I'm a fan of the Rider deck either. It does't creep me out or anything, I just find it dull and the artwork average.

dragenfly
July 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
no idea what about it creeps me out. it was the first deck i purchased I even bough a wooden case and that huge rider waite book so i could understand every little aspect of the deck. but every time i used them the hair on the back of my neck would stand and i would just get all creeped out and put them away. it wasnt a very friendly feeling. however my Garden of the Moon deck LOVE IT! its a spunky deck and the images are beautiful and... all the swords are DRAGONFLIES. :)

Chaos Hawk
July 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much especially since you found a deck that you like. I think that's why there are so many decks out there; not every deck appeals to every person :)

dragenfly
July 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
agreed! i was using my deck all weekend and thot hmmmm that rider deck i had creeped me out and im bored so imma post a thread! lol... stay tooned for more random thoughts <3

)0( blessed be x3

Jackie79
July 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I was warned about the rider white-deck, she told me not to get it, just stay away from it she said:S(The person I talked to about decks)

dragenfly
July 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM
i wonder what made her say that... i really love my garden of the moon deck i searched for at least a month looked at dozens of decks then one look at these and i knew it was the deck i should have :)

Malack Stormfire
July 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah... I ussually get the creeps around the Rider deck. I dont feel comfortable with its symbology. Ive always found the DruidCraft deck to work wonders for me and rarely will use anything else now.

dragenfly
July 19th, 2010, 06:20 PM
ive looked at some celtic decks im drawn to them but i no longer have a desire to use any other deck. im so relieved im not the only one that the rider decks creeps out... lol..:hyper:

Malack Stormfire
July 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM
lol yup its creepy. All the angels and devils and nekkid people...creepy nekkid people at that lol. Even the animals are creepy. The deck reminds me of some catholic churches I visited as a child for some reason. The churches were creepy too lol.

realityeater
July 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I have the Rider deck now. It was my first deck and it always has had a hold on my heart because of how straightforward it is. I tried using other decks like the Arthurian Tarot, but I always come back to my Rider Waite. I agree that every deck is different for every person so I'm glad that you love your Moon Garden deck as much as I love my Rider. :) After all, if you're not comfortable with a deck it's probably trying to tell you something...

dragenfly
July 19th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I think its a personal thing my uncle usese the rider deck and the mayan deck both creep me out equally but HE LOVES THEM wont use any other decks. loves the accuracy and straight forward reading he gets from them . . .

lol yup its creepy. All the angels and devils and nekkid people...creepy nekkid people at that lol. Even the animals are creepy. The deck reminds me of some catholic churches I visited as a child for some reason. The churches were creepy too lol.

YES! exactly :) it gives me that feeling too lol...

Gaudior
July 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm very picky when it comes to my tarot decks. I don't like the big pictures, the "modern" looks...I wish I could explain it better, lol

dragenfly
July 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
(((((((((((hugs)))))))))) you all~!!! i feel very loving today so love love hug hug kiss kiss just cuz!

Malack Stormfire
July 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
*smiles* Im going to pretend you did this today...I needed a hug today. Seems like everything is going wrong.

BTW is the garden of the moon deck the same as the Moon Garden deck? I was trying to find it and check it out but couldnt find it.

dragenfly
July 22nd, 2010, 09:14 PM
It's the moon garden deck. I have no idea what my mental malfunction is. I always call it the wrong name and I've had them for four years now. I love this deck!!!
And just cuz ((((((((((((hug)))))))))))) for you malack!!!!

Yticilef
July 24th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Hi All, very interesting posting,

I like the Rider Waite Deck, though personally found Waite very pretentious, but Pamela Coleman Smith fascinating. I find the symbology speaks very well to the subconscious and has layer upon layer of meanings, whether from the Golden Dawn or from Kabbalah. So it really does boil down to what works for you and what doesn't. There is a fascinating amount of information on Pamela Coleman Smith, who like many women of her time, was very much a muse and undervalued by Waite and others of her time.
I stick with mine as it was given to me by a close friend and she has since died. But I love the artwork in many others, and as someone who is very eclectic in my spiritual philosophy and paths love the Russian Tarot, the Flower Tarot etc.

Yticilef

humangirl
July 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I always found it painfully boring, myself. I ended up buying it solely because all the tarot books and sites I found were based on it, and I wanted to learn that before I tried something else. (Even though many decks have the same cards, more or less, I think I just wanted to be able to take the instructions literally.)

I much prefer my Goddess deck, though.

realityeater
July 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I like the Rider Waite Deck, though personally found Waite very pretentious, but Pamela Coleman Smith fascinating.... There is a fascinating amount of information on Pamela Coleman Smith, who like many women of her time, was very much a muse and undervalued by Waite and others of her time.

Can I ask you to elaborate on that? I don't really see how Rider Waite is pretentious... or how Smith was undervalued. If you have some links that I can read up on this with, I would greatly appreciate it.

Yticilef
July 26th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Can I ask you to elaborate on that? I don't really see how Rider Waite is pretentious... or how Smith was undervalued. If you have some links that I can read up on this with, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry Reality Eater, the deck is not pretentious, Arthur Waite was....

as were many of those who thought they were somehow superior in the knowledge they acquired through the Golden Dawn. There is a good website on Pamela Coleman Smith which should come up when you Google it.

I'll try and hunt it out when I can... she sadly died in poverty and probably knew more than many of the men.

I feel her artwork reveals a very deep understanding of Kaballah mysteries... for instance, the High Priestess which strongly relates to the Scrolls of Esther, the pomegranates with their piths being a metaphor for loftiness- well pomegranate in Aramaic also means loftiness... and the piths represent the 613 mitzvah we have to perform, well men do, not allegedly we women as we don't undergo correction, before the veil is lifted.
An excellent book is Women of the Golden Dawn - Rebels and Priestesses by Mary K Greer.
And to get a sense of Waite, the Pictorial Key to the Tarot by Arthur Edward Waite, which you probably already know about.

Hope this is of some value

Yticilef:thumbsup:

realityeater
July 27th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Yticilef--Both are things I will look into. Tarot is really a fascinating subject and I enjoy the reading. Thank you for clearing that up for me. :)

The man himself might have been pretentious, but I'll certainly get use out of his deck. >:3 That's actually a problem I find with some books on the metaphysical... while some writers are very humble and down-to-earth, some are rather up their own bums. Ah well, as it is with every subject, I suppose.

Yticilef
July 28th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Hi Realityeater,

Yes I am fascinated by Tarot and have been for a couple of decades, as well as palmistry or hand analysis... which of course, in Judaic mystery streams has it's parallels in the fingers etc, the tips of fingers being wands- ideas, the second phalange being swords- intellectual application, the third, pentacles- applied in the real world, the mounts of Venus and Moons, heart line etc being in the realm of Cups. You can also there see the influence of the Astrological signs, the twelve phalanges representing each star sign, and get a fair idea of vocational direction and how relationships work out.

If you are on the path to a lifetime of enjoyment or puzzlement here are some reads I enjoyed...
Waite, who I don't really enjoy but love and use the pack, the artwork being done by Pamela, of course was a contemporary of Oswald Wirth and two bigger egos is hard to imagine.... Oswald Wirth, like many of those who came across Kabbalah - or Cabbala when it resurfaced during the renaissance and was incorporated into alchemical and hermetic thought, used it to explore the fascinating realm of the subconscious and metaphysics. I personally don't agree with his transposition of Justice and Strength, mainly because of the way things fall into place if you lay the Major Arcarna out into a row of nine - Tes in Kabbalah being Truth and the fact that nine is always returning to the original source.
This was also bought out in Tarot Revelations...

Then you get the High Priestess, Justice and Judgement all under one another - all representing the middle path.

Other books of the many I enjoy :

The Tarot Paul Case
Personality, Divination and the Tarot, by Dr Carl Sargent, Dept Psychology, Cambridge
Tarot Revelations -Joseph Campbell, Richard Roberts
The Tarot - Mouni Sadhu - absolutely a heavy but brilliant insight into Hermetic exercises and the Tarot
The Devil's Picture Book - Paul Huson -don't be put off by the name, it is an excellent source book,
Penguin - Tarot, Dion Fortune's - The Mystical Qabalah, Rachel Pollack - 78 Degrees of Wisdom, and I had the pleasure of doing a master's workshop with Rachel, if you can go to one if it is possible- go!

Yticilef

firefairy86
July 28th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I was given the Rider deck as a gift. I was told that your not supposed to buy your first deck, instead, it has to be given to you. I don't like the artwork and I just don't connect with it. I looked into several different decks and found that the Animals Divine Tarot has beautiful artwork in it and I also liked the message of the entire deck. I bought it myself and found that I made an instant connection and I get accurate readings from it.

realityeater
July 28th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Hi Realityeater,

Yes I am fascinated by Tarot and have been for a couple of decades, as well as palmistry or hand analysis... which of course, in Judaic mystery streams has it's parallels in the fingers etc, the tips of fingers being wands- ideas, the second phalange being swords- intellectual application, the third, pentacles- applied in the real world, the mounts of Venus and Moons, heart line etc being in the realm of Cups. You can also there see the influence of the Astrological signs, the twelve phalanges representing each star sign, and get a fair idea of vocational direction and how relationships work out.

If you are on the path to a lifetime of enjoyment or puzzlement here are some reads I enjoyed...
Waite, who I don't really enjoy but love and use the pack, the artwork being done by Pamela, of course was a contemporary of Oswald Wirth and two bigger egos is hard to imagine.... Oswald Wirth, like many of those who came across Kabbalah - or Cabbala when it resurfaced during the renaissance and was incorporated into alchemical and hermetic thought, used it to explore the fascinating realm of the subconscious and metaphysics. I personally don't agree with his transposition of Justice and Strength, mainly because of the way things fall into place if you lay the Major Arcarna out into a row of nine - Tes in Kabbalah being Truth and the fact that nine is always returning to the original source.
This was also bought out in Tarot Revelations...

Then you get the High Priestess, Justice and Judgement all under one another - all representing the middle path.

Other books of the many I enjoy :

The Tarot Paul Case
Personality, Divination and the Tarot, by Dr Carl Sargent, Dept Psychology, Cambridge
Tarot Revelations -Joseph Campbell, Richard Roberts
The Tarot - Mouni Sadhu - absolutely a heavy but brilliant insight into Hermetic exercises and the Tarot
The Devil's Picture Book - Paul Huson -don't be put off by the name, it is an excellent source book,
Penguin - Tarot, Dion Fortune's - The Mystical Qabalah, Rachel Pollack - 78 Degrees of Wisdom, and I had the pleasure of doing a master's workshop with Rachel, if you can go to one if it is possible- go!

Yticilef

My goodness, what a wealth of resources. :D I'm more than pleased to look into all of these. Thank you very much for taking the time to lay them out.

I hadn't heard much about Kabbalah until very recently, so hearing how they're echoed is intriguing. If you don't mind moving this discussion over to PMs, I'd love to hear more about it.

Yticilef
July 29th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Hi Realityeater,

PM is fine, and at your age I hadn't even thought of looking into subjects that you are, so what a profound thinker you must be... reckon some of the books will keep you occupied for a while. Good luck with everything from Australia!

Yticilef

Lena C.
July 29th, 2010, 07:23 AM
My first deck was a Native American version, so the Rider-Waite seemed very strange to me when I first saw it. Some decks just call out to some more than others. I will admit that the Rider deck also gives me a strange feeling when I use it, so I try not to. My current deck is Cachet, which I found at Spencer's one day while browsing & it just called for me to pick it up. It actually has become my favorite deck I have owned since my first deck, because I connect with it so much better than others I have had.

dragenfly
July 29th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I will admit that the Rider deck also gives me a strange feeling when I use it, so I try not to. had.

EXACTLY! LoL!

I just got my book to my Moon Garden deck. I love this deck i dont use my others anymore. The book has ritutals and meditations in it its GREAT! Love it~!!! :boing: so excited yay!

Corvis Canis Latrans
July 29th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Sorry Reality Eater, the deck is not pretentious, Arthur Waite was....

as were many of those who thought they were somehow superior in the knowledge they acquired through the Golden Dawn. There is a good website on Pamela Coleman Smith which should come up when you Google it.

I haven't seen anything about Waite's rhetoric and wording that differs from any other author of the time, particularly anyone who aspired to academic credibility, as Waite did.

It was the culture of the time, you had to use that kind of language to be respected, you had no choice in the matter.

Waite was no more pretentious than anyone else of the period.

I do confess though, that any academic literature of that period is difficult to read, because of that rhetoric. Though it's far preferable to the praise-rhetoric that could go on for pages and pages of just about any work of the centuries preceding the 19th. Just try reading any Renaissance document if you want what we view as pretentious (or what would to us seem like grovelling to the great and wonderful pretentious person)....

DragonHeart
August 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I am not really familiar with decks but this piques my interest to go check it out. :uhhuhuh:

Yticilef
August 8th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I can recommend to Corvis and Reality Eater the book on Women of the Golden Dawn as a starter as it gives a great insight into the times and how the movement evolved as a probable response to the Victorian constraints.

For Corvis, I couldn't agree more about the Renaissance period, I love the art and the relative mysteries surrounding the era, Cosimo Medici had some early Hermetic texts translated for his use and of course he was the mentor of Da Vinci ( involved in the Mysteries of the Black Madonna)and Michelangelo to name a few.

As an artist I loved the book called Giotto's Geometry which clearly illustrates the massive influence that the use of perspective had on the division of East and West and the use made of it by the Church to exercise power over the people....and Corvis, as I can't read Latin( apart from a very limited understanding) or Greek you are way ahead of me... there is an excellent website where many of the original documents are available with translations called the Twilight Grotto. Also there still is a Hermetic Society but you have to be able to translate a 100,000 word document from early Latin or Greek plus many other hurdles to even qualify - I believe Prince Charles is a member.

As to the Rider Waite deck, it is also fascinating to look at the numerical grouping of the minor Arcana wands, cups etc... as they too tell a story. For instance the 3 Cups of course represents happiness - or Felicity, which in Aristotle's time also meant 'woman who walks with daemons'... in the 5 cups - you note the 3 cups is spilt - happiness lost, but it is part of the Karmic journey as represented by the two remaining cups, which goes back to the middle path- a minor symbol of the High Priestess.

Yticilef

Corvis Canis Latrans
August 8th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Ah, I don't know Greek or Latin either, I'm mainly referring to English translations, and the occasional bit of Italian. :hahugh: