PDA

View Full Version : Lughnasadh

Micheal
July 30th, 2010, 03:10 AM
With it being right around the corner, just wondering what everyone else who acknowledges it has planned?

Cake-eating_Moth
July 30th, 2010, 07:15 AM
The coven and I are doing a ritual in honor of Lughnasadh, and will proceed to battle each other in a game of pugil sticks.... stop looking at me like that :hehehehe:. I'm actually quite serious. In Ireland, celebrations and games of strength were held in honor of Lugh, and his foster-mother Tailtiu. Of course, many other things were practiced around this time, but I thought: Hey, what a fun way to end a fabulous time of year!

Wildhope
July 30th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I plan on having a ritual in honor of the sun and the harvest. I'm also going to try my hand at baking bread (frozen dough, hehehe, I'm not very ambitious) I found instructions on how to fashion the dough into a god figure and I'm kinda excited to see how it turns out.

cheddarsox
July 30th, 2010, 10:43 AM
In my family, this holy day has become a day to honor and celebrate all things hot and associated with warm weather. I usually make stuffed poblanos, we have friends over and eat spicy food, soak up sun and tell stories from our lives involving heat.

This year, life situations are seperating us...so I think I will bake some homemade bread and hike to someplace sunny. I will make an altar and gratitude list to the sun...out of stones and etched into the sands of the desert, the next rainstorm ( it's monsoon season, so we won't have long to wait) will wash all evidence of it away.

I'm thinking jalepno pretzels....

Micheal
July 30th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Those all sound lovely :)

We're heading to Sliabh Crúibe this year, our local mountain in Co. Down. There was Lá Lúnasa festivals at the top of the hill all the way into the 50's, that has seen a recent revival since. I know on Blaeburry Sunday, at the end of August, they have traditional music at the top, and it's been a folk custom to carry a stone to the top to help bury the "12 Kings" of folklore....

Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

Daecon
July 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
My coven always makes a Corn King to sacrifice. The male members form the body while the females go out and gather flowers. They then decorate the figure and we all write prayers and messages to the gods. The figure is burned to reveal the loaf of cornbread for cakes and ale.

Micheal
August 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Well Lá Lughnasadh shona daoibh, I hope it was a good one for everybody. Here's a few shots on top of Sliabh Crúibe. Lucky enough, the rain held off until we were coming down.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/xxxThurisazxxx/Picture043.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/xxxThurisazxxx/Picture041.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/xxxThurisazxxx/Picture039.jpg

LadyWillow
August 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM
That last shot is lovely! It really speaks to me. Thanks for sharing.

Elistariel
August 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM
Not doing anything. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Micheal
August 2nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
That last shot is lovely! It really speaks to me. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome! :) You can see the Mourne mountains in the background there, that inspired the Belfastian C. S. Lewis to write The Chronicles of Narnia.

Windsmith
August 6th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I spent it making scads of bread with fellow local Witches. Later on, we shared all that bread with some other fellow local Witches in a sort of glorious bread orgy. Yum!