PDA

View Full Version : Meditation help

RocknRoll_Goddess85
September 1st, 2010, 10:19 AM
There has been something that has been bothering me. When you meditate does the pictures and scenes show up on the black on the back of your eyelids or is it more of where you imagine it and your not really seeing it there on the back of your eyelids but your building it. I bet that makes no sense what so ever, but I don't know how else to say it. Thanks for any and all help!!!

Cheers!

VuDo
September 1st, 2010, 11:44 AM
I think I'm picking up what you're throwing down :lol:

You're asking if what we see during meditation is a slide show against our eyelids or if it exists in three-dimensional form elsewhere (in our brains, in another plane, etc)?

For me sometimes it's a slide show and sometimes it's somewhere else. It depends on the strength of my focus, how practiced I am in that particular meditation, and whether I "feel" it (yeah, vague, I know :lol:).

RocknRoll_Goddess85
September 1st, 2010, 07:47 PM
No, you said it perfectly and that was exactly what I meant. Thank you!!!

Cheers!!

tobi
September 1st, 2010, 07:50 PM
It's all in your mind; your eyes have nothing to do with it. It probably all happens in the visual cortex.

Shanti
September 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
It can be all that has already been said. Only you can know for sure what is what by your own experience in each instance.

RocknRoll_Goddess85
September 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
Before I even picked up a book or read online about meditation I used to visualize complex scenes every night as a way to go to bed. It wasn't until I started down this path that I got really unsure about it. It felt like to me that you should be to actually see the scenes like if you where dreaming, instead I would use my imagination and would literally have to build each part and hold onto it. It was like creating a scene and being the director.

I still have problems with putting myself into the visualizations and can not actually feel myself there. Like when they teach you to journey and you are supposed to let things like your animal guides and so forth come to you, that has seemed impossible to me since I create everything I am seeing and nothing every randomly appears.

Ugh, it drives me nuts. Something that used to come natural has become a pain to use since I have started reading about it, darn reading addiction has made me think too much!

Cheers!

Winged Mermaid
September 1st, 2010, 11:08 PM
Before I even picked up a book or read online about meditation I used to visualize complex scenes every night as a way to go to bed. It wasn't until I started down this path that I got really unsure about it. It felt like to me that you should be to actually see the scenes like if you where dreaming, instead I would use my imagination and would literally have to build each part and hold onto it. It was like creating a scene and being the director.

I still have problems with putting myself into the visualizations and can not actually feel myself there. Like when they teach you to journey and you are supposed to let things like your animal guides and so forth come to you, that has seemed impossible to me since I create everything I am seeing and nothing every randomly appears.

Ugh, it drives me nuts. Something that used to come natural has become a pain to use since I have started reading about it, darn reading addiction has made me think too much!

Cheers!

THANK YOU!! This is why I have a problem with things that are supposed to "just appear" or "come to me" involving meditation. When I imagine something I have to build every detail and try and hold on to it best I can.
There are all these guided meditations in books or whatnot saying things like, "Imagine yourself going down a spiral staircase and count down from 20 as you do so, at the bottom go through some fog and when you walk out you will be in your past life, look around and try and find identifiers to where and when you are." and, saying if you do a certian way to get a to a library then, "When you open the book you can read about your past lives." and all these other type things were guides or other things are supposed to "appear" and I just never got it. :/

Any help with that, anyone?

Lena C.
September 2nd, 2010, 02:38 AM
Ditto to what everyone else said.

And if nothing appears, well, nothing appears. You can't force it. It sounds like once you get everything visualized you have a problem with letting go and letting things just come. You're looking for something to come. I suggest maybe if you don't see anything you should just keep walking through the fog until something does come up. Maybe your rushing yourself through it. Or maybe you're a brand new soul we get to corrupt! Lol.

VuDo
September 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Rock&Roll and Winged Mermaid

I've used visualization as a way to relax since childhood too, so I can relate. In these visualizations, everything is built on the tiniest detail that needs to be kept in place for the next step to happen. So, yeah, it's the ultimate control visualization (so you have focus and concentration going for you, which is a huge first step).

Lena is partly right that there's an issue with simply letting go of the control you're used to have from practicing these other kinds of visualizations. The other part of the equation is that some visualizations just don't work for some people. I've tried the elevator to visit a past life regression and had it completely fail on me many times, but when I just told myself what I wanted to do, I naturally found a method that worked for me (a wall in a field with many different gates through it).

Maybe think back to times where you suddenly and spontaneously daydreamed during times of stress and the daydream had a relaxing effect, and use the elements in that daydream, and see where it takes you.

Let me know how it goes!

Lena C.
September 3rd, 2010, 02:08 AM
That's very true. I know a lot of visualizations that someone else has designed won't work for me. I usually have to work out a general idea in my head and then let my mind lead me where it will beyond that. One that I used to use all the time was that I was walking through a jungle, going deeper and deeper into the shadows, taking various twists and turns on the path, choosing one direction or another, until I reached a point where something was revealed to me. Sometimes I would continue beyond that. Sometimes I wouldn't. Another was climbing a mountain to reach a Tibetan monestary. Sometimes I'm at a carnival and pick a ride or game, but most times I end up in the fun house or the hall of mirrors where I find what I am looking for. Use what you know and put your own creativity into it.

RocknRoll_Goddess85
September 3rd, 2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks guys! I am probably trying to hard.. That's something I usually do, well that and over-complicating things. But I will try letting go and see what happens. Oh and how do you tell if your a new soul or an old soul>>> I feel old, but I guess that doesn't count:hahugh:

Cheers!

VuDo
September 3rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Supposedly you can tell if a soul is old or young by the person's goals and actions. IMO it's unimportant and irrelevant. My experience has been that people can grow an "old soul" in one lifetime.

Lena, that jungle meditation is awesome! I hope you don't mind if I adopt and adapt it for myself?

Lena C.
September 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't share it if I cared if people used it so go for it. I'm always trying to come up with new things like that, and I love sharing what I come up with. It keeps me from falling into ruts. :uhhuhuh:

Shanti
September 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM
New soul or old.
I would like to contemplate that for one second...just food for thought.
How can something that has no measure of decay because its not physical to begin with be old or new?
Its existence came from something since nothing comes from nothing. That something also doesn't decay with time to measure anything.
In fact time is a living conception and a planetary one. In space it all is different and in spirit it doesn't even fathom time like our illusion of time is that's based on the measure of physical decay.

So IMO your are not an old or new soul. You are just a soul. :)