PDA

View Full Version : Wick trimming

Eyeris
November 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Random question for candle noob.

I noticed on my standard votive candle pack... it insists that you should trim the wick before you first light the candle, and each time you re-light it. I have never done this before in my life. What does this do for the candle?

RoseKitten
November 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Random question for candle noob.

I noticed on my standard votive candle pack... it insists that you should trim the wick before you first light the candle, and each time you re-light it. I have never done this before in my life. What does this do for the candle?

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I was led to believe that the candles would burn better and with less smoke if the wick was trimmed.

halfwaynowhere
November 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
it keeps the flame smaller, so its less of a fire hazard. i never do it, though.

RaeCori
November 28th, 2010, 10:53 PM
For votive candles your wick should be about 1/4" to a 1/2" long. Candles need oxygen to burn and if your wick is too long, it can mess with the flow of oxygen and cause it to smoke.

monsnoleedra
November 29th, 2010, 01:24 AM
It hasn't been mentioned but clipping the wick also helps prevent larger candles from pitting. I understand it causes the heat to be disapated evenly across the surface vice creating a hot spot when the wick is long and has a higher flame.

It's supposed to also help lesson the affect / effect of a smoking wick. Those wicks that seem to leave a heavy black residue when heavy oil based candles are used.