PDA

View Full Version : Recreating Myths?

Caelestis ♥ Raven
December 8th, 2010, 02:00 AM
First let me say that I am really sick so idk how clear I will come across lmao. But this keeps poking at my mind so I figured I would try to make sense and ask anyways :)

Anyways...
Reading the thread on Hades & Persephone started me thinking about how people felt on recreating, reinterpreting or even just creating new myths altogether?

I know for myself personally I feel people just wrote them to begin with. They are beautiful, special and can be very important and meaningful but still written by humans just like I am. What would be the difference in them writing them as to myself writing one?

while I feel it is important to be respectful of the energy of the deity, I do think it is fine to bring my own thoughts and interpretation into them. Such as the spin on the Persephone myth.

Someone who is more of a hard polytheist ofcourse may disagree with this I imagine. But those of us who see the gods as aspects, archetypes, all gods are one etc... I am curious as to how they feel?

Kindof in the way of viewing the bible as a nice book but not fact.

How do you view this take on myths? I'd love thoughts from all sides :) (though I'd like the thread to be civil & respectful- to each their own and all lol)

Agaliha
December 8th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I started a thread in the past about creating new myths, you might want to check it out: Writing your own mythology? (http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=197840)

As for re-writing preexisting ones, I don't have or see an issue with it. Especially if it's done as an offering or form of worship (much like writing poems, hymns, etc). Though, I don't mind if it's literary as long as it's respectful and stays true to mythology (ie doesn't have Artemis as some sex crazed fiend that falls in love with a guy, etc :wtf: -- I've actually come across that online!).

In fact, there are many people online that have re-written myths (Hades and Persephone is a favorite, it seems), you can see many here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/misc/Greek_Mythology/
I've read some nice re-writes of Hades and Persephone. And other myths.

You can also come across re-writes on FictionPress, DeviantArt and even books (The Goddess Letters (http://www.amazon.com/Goddess-Letters-Carol-Orlock/dp/0312006012), Quicksilver (http://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver-Stephanie-Spinner/dp/0440238455/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291792771&sr=1-3), Quiver (http://www.amazon.com/Quiver-Stephanie-Spinner/dp/0440238196/ref=pd_sim_b_1), etc).

I don't know her, but I've come across a blog (showed up in a Google search of mine) and she re-writes some myths and explores the gods in narrative: http://mirrorpalace.wordpress.com/category/fiction/

I think exploring the gods via narrative is just as valid as writing a poem or hymn in their honor. I say go for it and see where it leads you :)

monsnoleedra
December 8th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I'll admit I am of mixed position on it.

To re-write them as they speak to a person I think is ok to a degree. Yet where it falls apart for me is when it gets to the net and then suddenly these re-writes become interlaced as part of the elder stories. So you suddenly find people referencing them when they try to speak on some issue as if they were truths or such.

They were written agianst the times and the morales and ethics of those times. They spoke of social upheavels, recreating social strata, look to the tales of Troy and the Trojan War for example for the struggle between Olympian and Anatolian Gods / Goddesses and position. Even the very sense and meaning of word selection and usage was driven to speak to the people of those times.

To my position there is already a great deal of difference to be found between myths that were written in ancient Greece then re-worked by later Roman authors. That in and of itself doesn't even touch upon the re-works and spins that occured in Greece alone through the various time periods.

Yet I suppose in someways I equate it to the notion of re-writing Shakespheare's great works. To try and re-write the great saga's and edda's and corrupt them even further.

In some ways I trully think we as a species have already corrupted so many tales, fables and stories in the name of PC'ism and re-writing that it is trully a pathetic reflection of our times and society. When the church did it todays pagans cry it was foul and distorted the truth. Yet what will future people say of today?

Myself I think a craftsman creates something new and inspired. Counterfiters simply copy over and hope changing the words will pass it off as something new and better. Myself, i'd rather read the works of someone who tries to create than the old tired reworks to make the person think they did something.

SacredNight
December 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I tried to get the forum to make a myth in one thread, it died as my threads do :D

I also see deities as archetypes and making your own "new" version or altogether new mythos may be even better.
But for others the energy that is already projected through ages in the classic pantheons are a energy which make it more alive and close then anything new. A time where we are rootless, we may prefer the old. But why not write your new myth as it were something "old", it brings magic to it, "The old ones" were quite successful. I feel a mythos is about tricking the reader into finding himself, the gods reflect our values. And certainly we aint like the ancient people, so our perceptions of ancient gods will not be the same as for those who wrote them,

Benvarry
December 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I feel quite passionately that we should keep mythology alive and "current" (i.e. appropriate to our times and cultures) by revisiting, rewriting, and even creating them ex nihilo. While I think it's vital that the originals continue to be studied, to give the myths meaning and relevance, those who are called to do so should re-invent them as they wish.

7 of Swords
December 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Because the anceint kemetic path was never held to any scriptual doctrine it allowed the Gods to be quite fluid and their tales evolved and bent as the times dictated. This kept the stories fresh and new for the people but also (in my opinion) suffered from very human political retooling as (I suspect) various cult priests longed to remain relevant by attaching various deities to newer, more prominent stories.

Myth I believe is a mixture of a higher truth, with a big dose of human influence and humble mortal understanding of the divine.

I would love to see modern myths if they are truly derived from some devoted connection with whatever Gods they involved. There should be a point to the myths as well, a "myth" is not simply Osiris watching television. Or Ptah building shoes for cats.

In my opinion I would want to read something that another person truly felt was communicated to them by some higher power, not just a happy moralistic something or other that they put the Gods names on.

7 of Swords
December 8th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Yet I suppose in someways I equate it to the notion of re-writing Shakespheare's great works. To try and re-write the great saga's and edda's and corrupt them even further.

Side note: To re-write Shakespeare's work is terrible. However I have seen several productions of his plays that are given very interesting twists. In particular I have been to a production of Hamlet that is set in the wild west and have seen a very trippy postmodern version of Macbeth. Both were interesting and though not a re-write of his work exactly they do put his words into very different contexts which gives us the viewer something interesting to work through as we watch the very familiar scenes play out in these new terms. These "modernizing" touches help us see the genius of the work when seperated from the typical "regular" accounts.

I think this applies to the mythological realms as well. So long as the powerful ideals and messages are intact what harm is there in putting a fresh spin on things? Just my opinion of course, and here is a little modern retelling that took place recently over at the kemetic threads of this very forum!

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=233962

Scroll down to the 9th reply to read Pheonix Falls retelling of the Rape of Horus. I've gotten a little off course from what I was talking about, but I think this all applies to this conversation. Anyway, enjoy!

flyingparachute
December 8th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Like you said, I don't see a problem with it, because I'm a soft polytheist (I'm not saying all soft polytheists agree with me). I mean, as long as it's respectful, anyways. If it's saying something really rude and obnoxious, then no.
I actually like reading rewrites of myths. They're usually very interesting. I don't see them as true stories, but merely as entertainment.

Blessings. :)

monsnoleedra
December 8th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Side note: To re-write Shakespeare's work is terrible. However I have seen several productions of his plays that are given very interesting twists. In particular I have been to a production of Hamlet that is set in the wild west and have seen a very trippy postmodern version of Macbeth. Both were interesting and though not a re-write of his work exactly they do put his words into very different contexts which gives us the viewer something interesting to work through as we watch the very familiar scenes play out in these new terms. These "modernizing" touches help us see the genius of the work when seperated from the typical "regular" accounts.

I think this applies to the mythological realms as well. So long as the powerful ideals and messages are intact what harm is there in putting a fresh spin on things? Just my opinion of course, and here is a little modern retelling that took place recently over at the kemetic threads of this very forum!

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=233962

Scroll down to the 9th reply to read Pheonix Falls retelling of the Rape of Horus. I've gotten a little off course from what I was talking about, but I think this all applies to this conversation. Anyway, enjoy!

re-telling of the story ideal and placing it in a new location is nothing new nor does it detract from the original story. It's like West Side Story is a modern retelling of Romeo and Juliett. The underlining story is the same but the events and such are modernized.

What I have a problem with is when the original story is revamped to make it modern. When you find Artemis is suddenly the feminist extreme but her original stories and myths do not hold such for example.

Benvarry
December 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
What I have a problem with is when the original story is revamped to make it modern. When you find Artemis is suddenly the feminist extreme but her original stories and myths do not hold such for example.

I'm not a polytheist (or any kind of theist) but I think that sort of revision of history/myth has always happened, even in ancient times, depending on the culture's changing needs and values. The few extant works we have depicting gods and goddesses may be huge departures from how the deities were depicted originally, if they were even deities at all.

So, I don't object to this kind of "revamping" on a spiritual level, but I do on an intellectual one -- it's just bad scholarship. :o

herbal_legends
December 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Would that be considered fanfiction? :weirdsmil

Garm
December 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
[II]

Why not?

It worked for Marvel comics didn't it?