PDA

View Full Version : Someone has to do it.

Shanti
December 21st, 2010, 10:24 PM
I feel like Eskimo woman!
Outside, in the dark, by the woods, with a lantern, sitting on my butt in the snow, skinning and butchering rams.
Well I guess I better get back to it.
1/2 of a ram to go.
Got a lot of meat!!! :mmm:

Shanti
December 21st, 2010, 11:38 PM
All done. It took 5 hours to do it by myself but darn we got a lot of meat.
I am cold, tired, sore but happy. :)
Tomorrow is jerky day!! I have been craving for jerky. :toofless:

Sequoia
December 21st, 2010, 11:59 PM
As my partner commented when I read your post aloud, "Shanti is Hardcore Frontier Woman."

You always blow me away with your amazing skills!

(How does ram jerky compare with beef jerky? 'Cause I looove beef jerky.)

Shanti
December 22nd, 2010, 12:29 AM
As my partner commented when I read your post aloud, "Shanti is Hardcore Frontier Woman."

You always blow me away with your amazing skills!

(How does ram jerky compare with beef jerky? 'Cause I looove beef jerky.)
I think I was born in the wrong time line. LOL.
Wait, this spring I want to milk the ewes. I love raw milk right out of the utter. The goat milk we had was always drunk up before it got into the house and those were meat goats I milked. :weirdsmil

I have no clue what mutton jerky taste like but usually the lower end meats make good jerky and 3 yr old ram mutton is definitely low end.
I have had other jerkies, various birds, buffalo, beef, venison, elk, small game and I liked them all so I'll most likely like the mutton jerky and I like mutton so thats a good start. :mmm:

Cindlady2
December 22nd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Ahhh.... I remember those times! LOL Freezing my ass ( but mostly fingers) off cutting up a half frozen carcase with o help! Grrrrr.... The I killed it, you clean it mentality! Killing is the easy part!

One of the great things about jerky is.... you can get it to taste like almost anything! Most of the flavor of meat is in the fat and since jerky has so little fat, it picks up the flavors of what you cure it in. It will have a bit of an underlying flavor of the "meat" but you can make most any type of meat taste good! I have even taken jerky (all ready dried) that didn't turn out right and re-cured it. It turned out fine then.

~*Sacred*~
December 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Oh to do this one day... le sigh..... :hi5:

Shanti
December 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Ahhh.... I remember those times! LOL Freezing my ass ( but mostly fingers) off cutting up a half frozen carcase with o help! Grrrrr.... The I killed it, you clean it mentality! Killing is the easy part!

One of the great things about jerky is.... you can get it to taste like almost anything! Most of the flavor of meat is in the fat and since jerky has so little fat, it picks up the flavors of what you cure it in. It will have a bit of an underlying flavor of the "meat" but you can make most any type of meat taste good! I have even taken jerky (all ready dried) that didn't turn out right and re-cured it. It turned out fine then.
Jerky, the savior of yukky meat! LOL

The mentality here wasnt I killed it you clean it. It was I need you to kill it and then he had to go to work to make that money that pays the bills. I offered to do the after kill part. Around here my mate kills the big stuff and I kill the little stuff. He usually does the cleaning too on the big animals but he had to get to work. He has had nothing but overtime and practically lives at work these days. We are grateful too with so many loosing their jobs so no complaints, even though he is so dearly missed at home. :(

EavanStar
December 22nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
I feel like Eskimo woman!
Outside, in the dark, by the woods, with a lantern, sitting on my butt in the snow, skinning and butchering rams.
Well I guess I better get back to it.
1/2 of a ram to go.
Got a lot of meat!!! :mmm:

Amazing!! I wanna be like you when I grow up. All i do is go to the grocery store... :weirdsmil

Ram jerky sounds good.

Cindlady2
December 23rd, 2010, 06:21 AM
Money is good.... lol
It is great he can get O.T.!

Sharizzy
December 23rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Ooooh, I would love to taste ram jerky!! Let us know how it turns out!