PDA

View Full Version : A Rant.

MammaStar
January 16th, 2003, 03:31 PM
As most of you all know, I am a DIE HARD Yankees fan. Since I was 3 years old, the Yankees and Baseball in general have been a HUGE influence in my life. Now, most people roll their eyes when I say the name "Yankees" and stop listening. In fact, I'm sure a lot of people have clicked off this post for the very same reason. What doI have to rant about? That's what people think, especially fans of teams like Boston, KC, and the Mets. But I am ranting. Why? Because I am so sick & tired of everyone shouting from the rooftops, by everyone I mean, fans, owners, other players, sports writers, about what an unfair advantage the Yanks have because we have $$$ in our team. It's not my team's fault that they play in NY and have since they were the Hudson Highlanders (original Yankees). I cannot help the fact that our owner, George "the Boss" Steinbrenner (who I'm NOT a big fan of BTW) has more $$$ than he knows what to do with. So, we have $$$, means we can score players. But ya know what? We don't always win. IN FACT, my biggest beef with all these people whining about the Yankees is that it's just recently started. Where were all these people back in the 1980's. When every Spring, I'd have the hope to see one of the GREATEST FIRST BASEMEN WHO EVER LIVED, Don "Donnie Baseball" Mattingly go to the World Series & get his well deserved ring? No one was whining & complaining then about how unfair of an advantage we had. In fact, it was quite the opposite, they were complaining that we SHOULD be winning due to the $$$ we had in our organization. Then, when we start to win, everyone gets in a tizzy.

This rant is brought on, because the Yanks made a 3 way trade last nite. El Duque is gone (good riddance I say, he surely disappointed me) and the Red Sox are trying to pull off some deal with another player, who MAY or may not sign with Boston. Saying that if the Yanks acquired this particular player (yeah, I can't remember his name right now) that there would be no trouble. The Yanks can do whatever they want, blah blah blah. the YANKS will win again this year . Ya know what.....as much as I love my boys and have faith that they will perform well....the team is going into a transition period. Our old guys are retiring or being traded away. Our pitching staff is OLD. Yes, OLD for baseball. Clemens is 39. Boomer is 38 and I believe Petite is the youngest at age 32. The fact is these guys are pushing & pushing themselves to help our team win. All 3 of these guys are injury prone. Andy's back, Clemens' groin, and Boomer, well he has a bunch of issues health wise. Now, when these guys are healthy, man can they Pitch. Andy Pettite and boomer being my favorites. Kind of wished the Devil (aka Clemens) was traded along with El Duque. We got some young guys out in the field now. guys playing different positions. Still don't have a steady left fielder. Yet, everyone just assumes that $$$ cures all this.

Teams like Kansas City complain constantly, they're the reason why the Luxury tax was pushed through. They want a fair shot. And granted, every team deserves a chance to win, but by punishing their fellow teams, I don't think that's the answer. Maybe telling A-Rod when he was looking to get the deal he was ultimately given by the Texas Rangers, "No, we won't pay you that much" and not include those stupid clauses he has in his contract, maybe then salaries wouldn't be so out of hand. Yes, Ball players make an enormous amount of money. Some who ride the wood make too damn much. But these guys, all baseball players, play EVERY DAY. Not every Sunday, not every other, EVERY DARN DAY. Sometimes for 10 days straight. And before you tell me "well, Baseball is an easy sport" don't even, because I've been playing since I was 8 years old and it takes it's toll on you. There are days I can barely WALK because my knees are so shot. And this is from only high school ball! So before you look to the NY Yankees to blame because your favorite team can't pull off a deal of a lifetime or can't win the pennant. Look to that teams management before you blame a team that has won 26 World Championships, well deservedly at that too.

Thank you for letting me rant. I'm sure you all have something to say about my rant. Post away. Just remember this, my rant was to sport fans in general, not anyone here at MW so please refrain from getting personal. I thank you. :D

~ Monk ~
January 17th, 2003, 04:57 PM
I'm not a baseball fan at all except for playoff time, but from my perspective baseball's biggest problem is it's playoff system. With as many teams as there are in MLB, I would think there should be more making it into the playoffs. Maybe that would help some of the lower-tiered teams out - generate more interest for fans because their team has a more realistic shot at making the playoffs even if they're not winning 95-100 games a season.

A lot of people criticize the hockey playoffs because some less-than-great teams get in, but I love it - you're almost guaranteed to see a low seeded team knock off a high one every year. That makes the games even more exciting - not that you can beat the NHL playoffs for excitement anway :D

I take it baseball doesn't have revenue sharing?

Regarding the Yankees - everyone hates the top dogs, but particularly the Yankees right now because all the top free agents want to play for them. I can understand that frustration. In the NHL everyone seems to go to the Red Wings, Stars and Rangers (though the Rangers can't seem to win much these days).

Don't worry - in a few more years the Yanks will be bottom feeders and people won't rip on them anymore! ;)

MammaStar
January 17th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Shpongle

Don't worry - in a few more years the Yanks will be bottom feeders and people won't rip on them anymore! ;)

My point exactly! Thank you for posting that! In the 1980's no one gave a crap about them but now everyone hates them. seems it's cool to dislike the Yanks these days. ;)

I think the NY Rangers have the same "mystique" as the Yankees. Except my boys in Blue can only win a Cup every 54 years!!! :wah: *crosses fingers & hopes that the Rangers climb out of basement and get to the top of the division this year*

HEY I CAN DREAM CAN'T I!!!! :lol:

Danustouch
January 17th, 2003, 05:25 PM
The Yankee's have every bit as much a chance of Winning, or Losing as any other team. Injuries can happen, bad luck can happen, to ANY team. And who's to say that one of the young upstarts from another team won't go on to win a league?

Long live the yankee's.

Azure
January 17th, 2003, 09:29 PM
I'm a Cards fan, but the Yankees are a close second. When I was a little kid, back in the late seventies and early eighties, they had a mystique that no one else had. I only adopted the Cards in high school, after I moved to St. Louis (USAF Dad).

Just shut out the stupid press (much like I'm doing with the Titans right now ;) ) and know that they're a great team and who cares about the rest of the gossip?

MammaStar
January 18th, 2003, 03:53 PM
The Cards. I like them too. They're my favorite National League team. Especially now cause you guys got my Tino Martinez. A classy guy and a great first baseman. I was toying with stepping foot in Shea Stadium this past summer just to see Tino again. :lol: But I opted out of NOT going to Flushing.