View Full Version : A question on reading Non-RW clones.

January 10th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I have: The Tarot of Atlantis (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/atlantis/)

This deck serves me well, I share a deep bond with it, the readings I have done with it I feel to be accurate [and have been told so by friends] but I still have a bit of a nagging question at the back of my mind. - Am I doing it right?

The Atlantis deck came with this little white book indicating that some of the cards were 'different' than in the typical Rider-Waite setup, but I ended up tossing it out along with the box because the descriptions didn't seem that helpful at all. After some further reading I've found reviews stating that while this deck is similar to RW, it is very much it's own thing and therefor shouldn't be used by beginners if at all possible. I'm a beginner, and again this point I would consider myself doing just fine, but the book I've been using to aid me in my readings is The Tarot Bible (http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Bible-Definitive-Guide-Spreads/dp/1402738382) which interprets the symbolism of the RW deck. So I'm wondering if I'm actually doing as well [or as accurately] as I think I am.

January 10th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I have a book that's helping with tarot, and it says that the most important thing to rely on with the cards is your intuition. It recommends hiding the little white book, and not using it to define the cards.

My thoughts? If you and your deck have bonded, and it's accurate, then you're probably doing it right. :)

Chaos Hawk
January 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Different decks do have different meanings for the cards. Learning a RW interpretation is not correct for every deck. I don't really follow the guidelines of "decks for beginners." Different people are more comfortable with different imagery.

I have never been a stickler for following a book either. However, I do think it's important to learn what the makers of the deck are trying to convey with certain cards and incorporate that into your readings. One book isn't going to be comprehensive for all decks.

I don't think that you are doing it wrong, I do think that by using this one source and throwing away the intended meanings that you are limiting yourself. The best option, IMO, at this point would be to write out your own thoughts and feelings on each card so that it is based on your intuition rather then any books.

January 10th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I would have to agree that as long as you are bonded with the deck, and you and who you are reading for feel that it is accurate, that is all that matters. I personally have never used a RW deck (yet I own 2). Taking a look at the deck, while the images may be different, it seems to follow the same numbering as most decks do. However, Ive found that the imagery for each different deck helps add something different to the reading. While I really dont like the little books that come with most decks, they can be helpfull by allowing you to add the symbols from the cards to help add depth to you reading. With that being said, I found this and thought that you might find it helpful.
"At its end, Atlantis was said to be a land of systemic failure, which this deck shows most strongly. The major arcana show the corruption of the ruling classes generally. Cups show sensual & sexual debauchery. In Pentacles we see that everything has a price. In Wands, we see the worship of the idol. Swords give us warfare for its own sake. I'm not sure how you could do a reading with a deck this grim, and even if we speculate that America is going rapidly down that path, I don't think you would find many of them who would admit that, nor who would think this deck to represent their hopes & ideals." Overall I wouldnt be too worried about it, just let it come to you naturally.

Also, due to the nature of the deck, it might help if you familiarize yourself a little with the story of Atlantis if you aren't already... By the way, this is a lovely looking deck, and hope you continue to be able to do good things with it.

January 11th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful feedback :)

@ rnaroundsue82 - Thank you for the link! I agree with you that I should try to learn more about Atlantis to help me divulge further meaning out of the cards. I really love my deck. =^_^=