PDA

View Full Version : Movie Musicals

WtchyChick13
January 18th, 2003, 03:08 AM
With Chicago coming out this week, I thought it would be appropriate to start this thread.

So, admit it! From the Wizard of Oz, to West Side Story, to the ever popular Grease...somewhere, sometime, you've watched a movie musical. (Perhaps Sound of Music maybe???) :D

I personally love them. From the classics like Singin' in the Rain to strange ones like Xanadu, there is just something about these movies that make me smile. :)

While many were made as movie versions of broadway shows, some were in fact original stories. I like the fact that some were made from the shows merely because it was a way to share the music and shows with a much broader audience. And some did translate better on screen than on stage.

Some of my favorites are (in no particular order):

Wizard of Oz
West Side Story
Guys and Dolls
1776 (Great movie!)
Scrooge
Xanadu
My Fair Lady
Grease & Grease 2 (yes, I admit it)

...and so many more that I can't think of right now. Plus it's dark in here and I can't see my videos. :lol:

So, it's your turn. What are some of your favorites???

WynterWynd
January 18th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Funny Girl
Little Shope of Horrors
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Moulin Rouge
South Pacific
The Kinga and I
Oklahoma
The Sound of Music
Singing in the Rain
Easter Parade
Hello Dolly
Mame
Purple Rain
Cabaret
Amadaus
Mr Holland Opus (not typical, but still musical)
Cats
Fiddler on the Roof
Mary Poppins
Annie
Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Carousel
Camalot
Holiday Inn
Gigi
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

I think thats all I can think of now!

Old Witch
January 18th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Let's see.....Camelot
South Pacific
Grease
Singin' in the Rain
All the old Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies
Oklahoma!
The King and I
Holiday Inn
The Wizard of Oz
And maybe not really musicals, but I really love the Elvis Presley movies.........:D

Xander67
January 18th, 2003, 11:11 AM
:)

Adds "Hair"
um, barney meets the telletubbies in walmart, oops :)

sorry, im in a very strange mood today lol
big meeting with client tomorrow afternoon! :D

errr ok, HAIR (age of aquarius)

Azure
January 18th, 2003, 11:55 AM
I am not thrilled with most movie musicals. I did love Chicago, though, and I actually like the Madonna version of Evita. I like West Side Story, and most of my fav musicals are Sondheim, which don't get made into movies much. Oh, I did like the new South Pacific with Glenn Close.

Danustouch
January 18th, 2003, 12:22 PM
West Side Story
Camelot
The King and I
Annie
My Fair Lady
Oklahoma
Kismet
Wizard of Oz
Gypsy
Hair
South Pacific
Singing in the Rain
Carousel
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (remember the series they made of it?)
Fiddler on the Roof.
Phantom of the Opera (it WAS a movie, BEFORE it was a musical)
M. Butterfly
Les Miserables (John Malkovitch) the book version, made for movie...and the musical version.
Evita
White Christmas
Sound of Music
Man of La Mancha
A Chorus Line
Bye Bye Birdie
The Wiz
Peter Pan
Kiss Me Kate
Meet Me in St. Louis
State Fair.
It happened at the Worlds Fair.
The Newsies.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Yvonne Belisle
January 18th, 2003, 12:22 PM
How about Oliver no one mentioned that one yet it's good too.

MammaStar
January 18th, 2003, 03:05 PM
West Side Story
Oklahoma
Grease
Meet Me In St. Louis
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Wizard of Oz
Annie
South Pacific
Holiday Inn
Bye Bye Birdie
Tommy
Hair
Oliver (still forget that even though Yvonne mentioned it ! :rollseyes: )

You're a good man Charlie Brown (technically NOT a feature length movie, but still)

And also, what's the name of the movie that Scott Baio & Jodie Foster starred in as kids. They were Gangsters & had a big pie fight at the end. That was a musical. I love that one...I just can't remember the title. And yeah, I know not a play. But still...it was a sweet little flick. :D

Sweet! get it!!! :lol: :lol:

WtchyChick13
January 19th, 2003, 02:55 AM
OOOOOOHHHH Ldy....Bugsy Malone!!! Bugsy Malone (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0074256) :lol:

Boy, you guys really named some good ones!!!

Hair, Holiday Inn, Camelot (I just watched that the other nite too), Bye Bye Birdie and many, many others could make it on my list.

Good call folks--keep those titles coming! :D

WtchyChick13
January 19th, 2003, 02:56 AM
(Oh and thanks to Hair being mentioned, I know have "Oh Donna" going through my head!) :T

WynterWynd
January 19th, 2003, 03:20 AM
Pink Floyd The Wall!!

*sings* .......your just a 'nother brick in the wall!!!

MammaStar
January 19th, 2003, 12:37 PM
heh heh. The wall. Gods i LOVE that movie.

Then there's Heavy Metal. That movie is GREAT. And this movie that I've talked about before..."Rock & Rule" if I EVER find that movie I'm going to scap it up. I love it.

Faery-Wings
January 23rd, 2003, 08:36 AM
I loved West Side Story as a kid. My mom had the soundtrack, on vinyl. I listened to that all the time. :)

Grease, but not Grease 2.

The Wall :thumbsup: Way cool. Heavy Metal too.

And RHPS! Time Warp!

WynterWynd
January 23rd, 2003, 12:11 PM
I went has Magenta one year for hallowe'en!:D

~ Monk ~
January 25th, 2003, 04:07 PM
I just took my girlfriend to see Chicago the other night (payback for LOTR-TTT). Ugh.

I've never liked musicals because I think the music is too campy, and the "stories" are iffy. I saw Cats and thought it was hideous. I just didn't understand. Chicago was decent but I'd still like to have those two hours back.

I guess I just can't let myself go and enjoy the moment when it comes to musicals. Plus, watching Richard Gere tap dance isn't high on my list of what's entertaining...I'm convinced he won his GG for bravery.:lol:

My girlfriend tells me she likes musicals mainly for the glamour. Is that what draws most of you to them?

Phoenix
January 25th, 2003, 05:26 PM
I LOVE the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I've been searcing for a great Columbia Halloween Costume for the longest time... My best friends bought me the movie for Christmas one year, I must have watched it 10 times that day! (it was either that or "Christmas with the Duke" , all John Wayne Movies, with my dad )

WtchyChick13
January 26th, 2003, 01:32 AM
I can't wait to see Chicago. I've had the music playing for a while now (not the soundtrack)--I'm a real Kander and Ebb fan and have been for years.

I also like the idea of amany of the performers going back to their theater roots. Gere for example started on broadway in Grease years ago as well as starring in other musicals.

Catherine Zeta Jones started on the stage as well. She was in 42nd Street as well as Les Mis in European productions. In a recent interview she said that doing Chicago really brought back all of the memories of just how hard it is to do these big shows.

On another note, I was watching Camelot the other nite and have had "Tra-La It's May" going through my head! :lol:

Ahhh, Richard Harris. :)

Cinnamon Girl
January 26th, 2003, 09:02 PM
I saw Chicago this weekend with my mother-in-law and niece. It was great - I loved it! I've never seen the theater musical, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I love that era and the music and dancing were fabulous! Catherine Zeta-Jones was wonderful as were Queen Latifah and Renee Zellweger. :)

shnen
February 7th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Dancing in the dark and Moulin Rouge....

THAT'S IT! :razz:

WtchyChick13
February 15th, 2003, 03:43 AM
There is a new version of The Music Man on ABC TV this Sunday nite starring Matthew Broderick.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the original and I'm torn on whether or not I'm going to watch the remake...I may wait for it to be rerun on ABC Family.

Kristin Chenowith also stars--Love her, what a voice! :o