PDA

View Full Version : Reading help?

Angel624
March 3rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Ok so, I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of Tarot (Ok extreeeemely new). Card meanings I can handle, but my big issue is how they fit into different spots in a spread (cause some make absolute *NO* sense what so ever) and connecting the dots.
Does anyone have any tips/suggestions/etc?

Chaos Hawk
March 3rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Well....

How complicated a spread are you doing?

Are you doing reversals as well as uprights?

What type of deck?

Can you give some specific examples of where you are finding things don't make sense?

What types of questions are you asking?

Are you reading for yourself?

I'm not trying to come off as interrogating, I just don't know how to help you with your question without some more information.

Mab
March 3rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
First, take a step back & breathe. Are you using a standard spread, one from a book, or making up a spread yourself?

If you are using something standard or from a book, try reading the card in relation to the cards around it. Don't over-analyze. Lots of the Little White Books that come with decks tell you what the cards "mean", but I find you really need to trust your intuition as to what you feel the card is trying to tell you. I tend to lay out the cards, and then pick each one up to examine & get a feel for, then try to place it in the context of the question and the position. Then I step back & look at the spread as a whole & try to get a feel for what the big picture is.

Good luck.

Jackie79
March 4th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Listen to these two, they are experts

Angel624
March 4th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Ok, the spreads are standard book spreads. (Past-Present-Future, Celtic Cross and the like.)
I am using reversals as well as uprights.
I've got the Mystic Dreamer Tarot.
I am reading for myself purely for practice. But I have tried for a couple of my friends as well. Sometimes it clicks, but other times I have great difficulty "getting it".
I'll have to give you a "for instance" example (dont have a celtic cross reading written in my tarot journal)... Say I was doing a Celtic Cross Spread, with a question pertaining to my future cafe post-business degree. And on the foundation of the situation spot I'd get... lets go with Knight of Cups. That would make no sense to me.

Chaos Hawk
March 4th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Ok, here is what I would suggest.

Start with three card spreads - past, present, future. Add a fourth card when you are comfortable with those. That shows the guidance or the overriding influence. The purpose of that card is to show you the context to take the other cards in.

Don't use reversals. Some people use them all the time, I never do. I find there are enough cards in the deck to convey the meaning without using reversed meanings. But especially when you are learning, it just makes things overly complicated.

Try to practice on others if you can. Read for yourself more as a way to learn card meanings and such, but it's easier to see connections for other people (in general).

In the foundation of the situation spot - Knight of Cups: to me that means imaginative pipe dreams, longing, romanticism, yearning for success, potential and wishful thinking. Hopes and dreams without a real plan of action. Does that make sense seen that way?

Angel624
March 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for teh advice, Chaos :hi5:

Chaos Hawk
March 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM
You are welcome :)

Mab
March 4th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Listen to these two, they are experts

I don't think I'd call myself an expert. LOL I just have had a lot of practical experience - and learned some things the hard way!

Mab
March 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Ok, here is what I would suggest.

Start with three card spreads - past, present, future. Add a fourth card when you are comfortable with those. That shows the guidance or the overriding influence. The purpose of that card is to show you the context to take the other cards in.

Don't use reversals. Some people use them all the time, I never do. I find there are enough cards in the deck to convey the meaning without using reversed meanings. But especially when you are learning, it just makes things overly complicated.

Try to practice on others if you can. Read for yourself more as a way to learn card meanings and such, but it's easier to see connections for other people (in general).

In the foundation of the situation spot - Knight of Cups: to me that means imaginative pipe dreams, longing, romanticism, yearning for success, potential and wishful thinking. Hopes and dreams without a real plan of action. Does that make sense seen that way?

I am one of those that uses reversals all the time, and have since I first started reading. I'd say using them is strictly personal preference.

I also disagree with the "don't do readings for yourself". I've always done readings for myself without much issue.

Just my suggestions. But then, I'm a rebel & learned to read on my own without any classes or books other than the little white ones that come with most decks. I'm a big believer in letting your intuition guide you as to what the cards mean in relation to the question at hand. The only book I would recommend you look into picking up is one on tarot spreads - one that gives you a ton of spreads to choose from. I found the Celtic Cross was not always terribly functional for me.

Chaos Hawk
March 4th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I am one of those that uses reversals all the time, and have since I first started reading. I'd say using them is strictly personal preference.

I also disagree with the "don't do readings for yourself". I've always done readings for myself without much issue.

Just my suggestions. But then, I'm a rebel & learned to read on my own without any classes or books other than the little white ones that come with most decks. I'm a big believer in letting your intuition guide you as to what the cards mean in relation to the question at hand. The only book I would recommend you look into picking up is one on tarot spreads - one that gives you a ton of spreads to choose from. I found the Celtic Cross was not always terribly functional for me.

Yep, different things work for different people and everyone has their own way of doing things.

Sharizzy
March 4th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I'm always careful to shuffle my cards so that there aren't any reversed ones, but once, I had a card come up reversed even with being careful, so I assume that card really wanted to be reversed; I had to look up what it meant LOL.