PDA

View Full Version : Between paths

NCPilot
June 7th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I started out my Pagan life in Seax Wicca, I wanted to follow a path that worshiped the gods of the North (Norse). I was pretty fine with it until I started reading the Eddas and Sagas, and found out that Buckland had a few error in his interpretation of the lore. So I thought I'd try out Heathenism for awhile, and while I appreciate the lore and history, the lore and history were the only aspect that spoke to me.

Things like the cycle of the moons, the changing of the season, heck even the Pentacle still spoke to me. I also enjoyed the community that I was a part of at one time (the group disbanded last year). However, I didn't like the plug and play attitude that some Wiccans had, I am a hard polytheist, and I generally keep to worshiping one Pantheon instead of several.

So I like certain aspect of both paths, so I don't really know what to do. I know that Norse Wiccans tend to be looked down upon (and very few in numbers, if any), and this is requiring much soul searching.

What are y'alls thought on this?

Garm
June 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM
It's only an issue if you need a community to blend with

On your own you are free to make your choices and then it is just trial and error to find what works for you

NCPilot
June 7th, 2011, 11:28 PM
It's only an issue if you need a community to blend with

On your own you are free to make your choices and then it is just trial and error to find what works for you

Well I'm fine with solitary work, but I also wouldn't mind hanging out with a community once in awhile.

Ameniatha
June 8th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I think most of us get to a point in our meanderings where we melt two paths together. Or come to a cross roads..

The point is that you will be fine, and it will no doubt help you grow spiritually..

Moonsie
June 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM
What I truly love about paganism, is how we are all given the ability to choose our own path and pick and choose the pieces that make the most sense to us.

So far as the communities go, covens tend to follow the same beliefs, but pagan events that I have gone to tend to have a plethora of beliefs, and the wonderful thing about them is we tend to not push our beliefs onto others and let everyone make their own paths without judging or deciding one path is better than another. Pagans are the most openminded people I have ever met, it is always so very refreshing to me.

Umbress
June 14th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I left christian because the spiritualism in a box {or book} did not appeal to me. The best spiritual advice I have ever been given was by a woman who classified her path as "hedge witch" She suggested I should search out my own spiritual beliefs and study to find the why instead of seeking out the spiritual path others think I should be on. I shall offer you the same advice.

It took me two years of devoted research and study and it turns out I am hermetic with shamanistic twist.

Adelphos
June 14th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I classify myself as a Pagan, as that is the community I belong to. If I run into another Pagan, that is all that is needed for me to belong. I am Pagan.

My path is a blend of Shamanism and the traditions of the north (Norse/Germanic/Anglo-Saxon.) I am solitary, and most Heathen groups wouldn't have me. My primary God is Odin, although I tend to work with the land vaettir and ancestors more than anything else. I am a runester. I follow this path because it is what speaks to me, not because of racial identity, or a need to belong to a group, but because it is where the Norns have lead me.

Something to think about: most Heathen and Asatru groups are adament about following the lore and belonging to a kindred. Thor's hammer is their symbol because Thor is a god of the people. It represents strength, brawn. It is exactly what a community strives to be. The thing is, this speaks strongly to a warrior community, in which each member relies on each other for life. It is very admirable, and I respect the choice of anyone who follows this path.

As for me, coming from a shamanic background, I understand that there were always people on the fringes of ancient communities who didn't exactly belong, but were necessary for their connection to the otherside. They were sought out, even though what they represented was feared. This is how I reconcile being a solitary practitioner within the northern traditions. I read runes and consort with the spirits. Mine is not a community of the living. I feast with the ancestors and respect the spirits of the land.

I have never been wiccan, but I think, if you look at the history of northern Europe, you'll see a great number of people on the move. Tribes and traditions would have been blended constantly, and I'm sure cultural mixing was the norm. If you feel strongly about your beliefs, that should be all you need. Don't let someone else tell you you are wrong. A living tradition requires more than second hand lore. Utilize spiritual disciplines, wherever they come from. If they work for you, that's all that matters.

Aruinn
June 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I couldn't even begin to try to put a name to what I actually am in terms of specific tradition. I don't think one exists. I didn't come to paganism to be told that I had to fit into a box with a neat little label. Your religion should be yours and no one else's; you don't have to justify your beliefs by trying to fit them into a path that has already been moulded by someone else. Say "I am a pagan, and I believe this, this and this". Be proud of your beliefs. You don't need anything else.

Good luck with your soul searching.

U-we-tsi-a-ge-ya
June 18th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I couldn't even begin to try to put a name to what I actually am in terms of specific tradition. I don't think one exists. I didn't come to paganism to be told that I had to fit into a box with a neat little label. Your religion should be yours and no one else's; you don't have to justify your beliefs by trying to fit them into a path that has already been moulded by someone else. Say "I am a pagan, and I believe this, this and this". Be proud of your beliefs. You don't need anything else.

Good luck with your soul searching.

This!^

Everyone comes to a cross-roads at some point in their lives that regards to their religious veiws. Even the most devoted worshiper has doubts creep up on him/her every now and then. When people reach this cross-roads,I often tell them the sort of nickname I give it,which is Tangled Paganism(or whatever religious belief they are). I call it that because it's much like a tangled line of yarn,you have where it stat but not where it ends or how long it is,and all that you can really do is hunker down and get to work un-tangling it.*shrugs* Thats just what I call it though,doesn't make it any more or any less valid.