PDA

View Full Version : Loki

Midnight Rose
July 17th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Anyone willing to share any experiences or whatnot?

He doesn't seem to want to get out of my thoughts lately. Happened before too. More like I was harassed (I use this in a very light-hearted way, btw) by two dreams that were listening certain characteristics of someone and the name that popped up in the dreams was Loki. Then there was a time where the worse Norse and Odin popped up, too. At the time, I had no idea what the hell was going on. Maybe I was being tossed around. At the time, I pretty much said "Alright, I give up! You have me, what do you want?" and was really fearing the unknown at that point.

Now, Loki just doesn't want to leave my mind. Though it probably didn't help my situation much when I decided to give him some chocolate as a "Hello" thing. I was/am rather fond of him and Tricksters but that's also kind of why I wonder if everything is in my head or something has been going on and it's just time to accept that.

I also work with Dionysus and find the two very similar. I've thought about working with both but something about that feels slightly wrong to me. Probably because they're very similar and it might have a lot to do with me not figuring out my own spirituality right now. However, I do notice from experience that Loki (and honoring/worshiping him) feels slightly more homey to me. I've been trying to rationalize it that it might be because the Norse and Celtic cultures are close to each other, so it's closer to my own heritage (which is Celtic) or... there's no real reason other than I'm just more comfortable with a Norse God than a Greek God. I am comfortable with Dionysus but when I give offerings or what not I don't feel entirely "at ease" like I have noticed with Loki. Offerings to him or what not gives me a more "at ease" feeling.

.. well I guess the topics subject just turned into a dual subject. By mistake. Sorry about that. Answer to what you want to!

Bone-Speaker
May 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I was raised Forn Sed/Asatru, but found that my patron was the Greek god Hermes. I felt very awkward about it for a while, because it didn't seem "culturally acceptable" to me. At one point, I made a point of declaring, "OKAY. I need ONE Norse god to make this one! Anyone? Odin? Heimdal? Thor? Anyone at all? I will take Loki if I have to!"

Evidently, that's what Loki was waiting for, because now he's here to stay.

At one point, a friend of mine was absolutely miserable due to the termination of one of his relationships, and I was getting a bit tired of "mourning" phase that he, as a Leo, felt obligated to go through. So, I asked Loki - with a bribe of lemon meringue pie- to go and cheer the daft man up somehow, for the love of whichever gods who just happen to like me. It took a while, but eventually that friend was ambushed by a bunch of very pretty girls in a limo in very short party dresses who wanted to take pictures with him because they were on some sort of "man hunt" and he fulfilled one of the requirements by wearing a trench-coat. My friend was absolutely bewildered and, on the sidelines, I laughed hysterically and sent off a mental high-five to Loki for a job fantastically well done.

Midnight Rose
May 5th, 2012, 07:37 PM
At one point, a friend of mine was absolutely miserable due to the termination of one of his relationships, and I was getting a bit tired of "mourning" phase that he, as a Leo, felt obligated to go through. So, I asked Loki - with a bribe of lemon meringue pie- to go and cheer the daft man up somehow, for the love of whichever gods who just happen to like me. It took a while, but eventually that friend was ambushed by a bunch of very pretty girls in a limo in very short party dresses who wanted to take pictures with him because they were on some sort of "man hunt" and he fulfilled one of the requirements by wearing a trench-coat. My friend was absolutely bewildered and, on the sidelines, I laughed hysterically and sent off a mental high-five to Loki for a job fantastically well done.
Haha, I hope your friend liked it!

It's been a while and I decided to get to know Loki more and there's a few things I've noticed... I don't think He likes it when someone is trying to stray from a path that works for them. I've gotten detached from Paganism one before and He managed to talk me back in and the second time around, I told him I wanted a little while to figure myself out spiritually and... I guess He decided one day that enough was enough and dragged me back. At that point I started to take the hint that maybe I was right where I was meant to be and after that... I tried my hardest to smarten up and get past some obstacles of mine. I also notice that He's... surprisingly tolerant about my stupidity and apparently inability to figure things out on my end (specifically on how I feel about Him).
...Nay, tolerant isn't exactly the right word. Patient is the best word to use.
He seems to like hanging around/randomly popping out of no where on me. When he does that, I usually end up feeling a presence that I've felt since... welp, since I was 15 and first became Wiccan. I understood the presence as a male (and I seemed to believe it was a deity). The same presence was around constantly when I was 17 (ironically the first time I ran across the name Loki). I concluded a year or two later that said presence was probably keeping an eye on me as... well, I involved myself in the JOS and it kinda rewired me. It took a while to get myself back to how I was but, thanks to divine help, I got back to how I was.

I understood the divine help (or divine helper) as Dionysus but lately, I've been thinking about Dionysus' mannerism and how it was a lot similar to Loki's. Yeah, it's quite possible they just have similar personalities but it's still rather weird and surely doesn't explain how Dionysus just decided to pop in (Pretty much like 'Hey you! Mine.') one day when I was doing a few readings.

Bone-Speaker
May 6th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I tend to find that some gods, like Loki or Hermes, are sort of endlessly patient and tolerant. I mean, it takes me FOREVER to put two and two together and not get five or seven sometimes, and I make a lot of mistakes, too, but they seem content to wait until I get it right. Though I do sometimes get a vague impression of someone who's almost hysterically happy or relieved when I finally figure something important out - sort of like when the not-too-swift puppy in a litter FINALLY figures out to run through the doorway and not into the doorframe. There's sort of a "Aw, bless her, she's doing her best... True, she's also failing, but brownie points for the effort, I suppose."

Perhaps a slight exaggeration, there - but only a slight one!

I've never personally picked up a distinct presence from any of my deities or totems, personally. Hermes seems to have decided that repetition and symbolism are the best bets for talking to me, with the occasional dream-walking interaction. My totems just physically show up, like Crow, or appear in random movies or shows that I just happen to be watching in significant ways. Loki doesn't really talk to me beyond popping up occasionally and volunteering for random things. I'm pretty sure he's waiting for me to figure out whether or not I'm okay with him. I mean, it took me four months to accept that Hermes wasn't going away (and that was only after he messed with my video games...) so we'll see. *shrugs*

I tend to pick up other, friendly non-deity presences reasonably well though, as long as they do something consistently; I have a tendency to observe something, and dismiss it as a coincidence unless it happens three or four more times.

Midnight Rose
May 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I tend to find that some gods, like Loki or Hermes, are sort of endlessly patient and tolerant. I mean, it takes me FOREVER to put two and two together and not get five or seven sometimes, and I make a lot of mistakes, too, but they seem content to wait until I get it right. Though I do sometimes get a vague impression of someone who's almost hysterically happy or relieved when I finally figure something important out - sort of like when the not-too-swift puppy in a litter FINALLY figures out to run through the doorway and not into the doorframe. There's sort of a "Aw, bless her, she's doing her best... True, she's also failing, but brownie points for the effort, I suppose."
I get the same impression a lot of the time. OTL It's either that, or light-hearted laughter or even a grin. There's days where I think I could be a source of entertainment as I'm... just a derp with all my flailing and "Oh. Oh, I get it! ... I think."
... And here I thought I was intelligent and able to catch on.
...Hahahaha. OTL

I've never personally picked up a distinct presence from any of my deities or totems, personally.
I think I have, a couple of times. The first time--that I know of, anyways--that I did pick up a distinct presence was ol' Dionysus. When I first tried to call him to ask some questions, I felt this... rather intimidating yet pleasant presence fill my room. It was a really strong feeling that lessened over time (probably because I was starting to get use to it or something). It made sense to me that it would be intimidating yet pleasant due to the fact I was dealing with a god of madness.

When things first begun with Loki, I was (A) frustrated at Him (His name kept popping around everywhere I went) and (B) kinda bitchy (because of stuff I heard). I can't remember the details about that time because it was... everywhere. I just remember getting a little calmer and begrudgingly accepting Him. The presence then was kinda... warm, with the feeling of strain or distance. Maybe some uncertainty as well, but I'm not sure. As I started to get more okay with Him and just accepting Him into my life more, the presence I started to get from Him started to feel a lot like that one I felt when I first entered Paganism, as I said. He has said He is the same presence but the first time it was mentioned was when I wasn't... exactly pleased with Him. The other times it's mentioned ends up with me being being, considering the option but not being sure if that's the case. I've been slowly accepting that He might be telling the truth, since I can't seem to find any other explanation or answer.

... I did end up apologizing to Him for how I acted in the beginning.

Bone-Speaker
May 7th, 2012, 11:49 PM
When things first begun with Loki, I was (A) frustrated at Him (His name kept popping around everywhere I went) and (B) kinda bitchy (because of stuff I heard). I can't remember the details about that time because it was... everywhere. I just remember getting a little calmer and begrudgingly accepting Him. The presence then was kinda... warm, with the feeling of strain or distance. Maybe some uncertainty as well, but I'm not sure. As I started to get more okay with Him and just accepting Him into my life more, the presence I started to get from Him started to feel a lot like that one I felt when I first entered Paganism, as I said. He has said He is the same presence but the first time it was mentioned was when I wasn't... exactly pleased with Him. The other times it's mentioned ends up with me being being, considering the option but not being sure if that's the case. I've been slowly accepting that He might be telling the truth, since I can't seem to find any other explanation or answer.

... I did end up apologizing to Him for how I acted in the beginning.

Gods like Loki don't usually approach people expecting to get wildly positive reactions - particularly those who have gotten bad raps over the last few centuries, as Loki has. I have a natural affinity for Tricksters, but even so, my opinion was coloured by cultural upbringing (my family is Norwegian) and the warnings I was always given about inviting trouble. For a long time, I was fairly uncertain as to where I stood regarding Loki in particular because of that. Some days, I'm still a bit wary, in fact.

Midnight Rose
May 8th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Gods like Loki don't usually approach people expecting to get wildly positive reactions - particularly those who have gotten bad raps over the last few centuries, as Loki has. I have a natural affinity for Tricksters, but even so, my opinion was coloured by cultural upbringing (my family is Norwegian) and the warnings I was always given about inviting trouble. For a long time, I was fairly uncertain as to where I stood regarding Loki in particular because of that. Some days, I'm still a bit wary, in fact.
I am too but, I guess it's a good way to learn that you can trust him?
As for the natural affinity for Tricksters... hi there. I have a thing for Tricksters. They've been my favorite deities since I can remember. I find them interesting and awesome.

TheWomanMonster
May 9th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Interesting to see this post bumped when I came across this tonight, http://www.thyrsos.gr/zine/AnUnderstandingOfTheRoleOfLokiInOdinicMythology.pdf

Did you ever figure out what he wanted Midnight Rose?

Azrael Eve
May 9th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Loki is very interesting in my opinion, I haven't had much contact with him (that I know of at least) but every once in a while things about him just randomly pop up then keep coming up until I check them out.... If I ever did get the chance to talk to him, I think it would be an interesting experience.

Bone-Speaker
May 10th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I am too but, I guess it's a good way to learn that you can trust him?
As for the natural affinity for Tricksters... hi there. I have a thing for Tricksters. They've been my favorite deities since I can remember. I find them interesting and awesome.

Hullo! I tend to find that Tricksters follow me around, in addition to taking an interest in me. Does that happen to you, too? XD

Midnight Rose
May 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Did you ever figure out what he wanted Midnight Rose?
Um...Not really. Or I did but I just don't really know. All I know is that... He's an interesting god and I actually know a little more about Him than I think I do.

Hullo! I tend to find that Tricksters follow me around, in addition to taking an interest in me. Does that happen to you, too? XD
I honestly don't know. I just... find myself drawn to them or find them terribly interesting.

RajenMcDohl
May 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Kinda funny been a while since I've popped in and his is the first thread I stumble across. I've been working with Loki for close to 12 years now and it has changed my life for the better. It can be a bit frustrating at times since I've both read and experienced he can bring about quick and uncomfortable changes. It's not so bad though in the end its what I needed even if not what I wanted. I do need the kick in the rear end to get going sometimes.