PDA

View Full Version : Weaning

Starpixie
March 12th, 2003, 04:34 PM
I thought it would be a smooth transition as my son always wants to drink out of my other son's sippy cups. But he refuses to drink out of a cup when hes thirsty lately. He wants to nurse. I try to give it to him as an alternative to nursing, but he smacks the cup or bottle out of my hand. I need to have him fully weaned by April 10th because I will be leaving him with my inlaws for two weeks as I'm going to my husbands graduation and then we are flying out to Washington while he clears and to pick up our car. Any suggestions/tips are greatly appreciated!

Faery-Wings
March 13th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Hi there Starpixie. I didn't have much trouble weaning my kids so I don't have lots of advice. Here are two links that might help you:
http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24796&highlight=weaning

http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17041&highlight=weaning

Also, if you can have someone else give him the cup instead of you, that is often helpful. And my ped told me that a child will not starve/dehaydrate himself as s/he is weaning. You can supplement his food with "juicier" one- lots of fruits, yogurt, cereal with milk, and so on.

Hope this helps a bit!

Starpixie
March 15th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Thanks hun! :)

Margie
March 18th, 2003, 12:41 AM
chrissi's right. Alot of times they have no problem taking the cup from others. Especially if you're not even around. You should do a test run and leave him with your in laws for a few hours one day with just a sippy cup. I bet he does just fine. Plus-this may sound harsh-but once you do leave him, even if he doesn't want the cup at first, he'll really have no other choice-you know what I mean?

Starpixie
March 23rd, 2003, 07:26 PM
True! Thanks you too!

On a side note, I see you are a Army mommy. My dh is Active Duty Army. :) We are getting ready to move to Germany.

Flutterby_whispers
March 24th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Hay sweets :) With your history of breast infections I would do it as slowly as possible & then once you've left do things to help get rid of the milk as fast as possible. You can do things like putting a cabbage leaf into your bra helps to decrease the amount of milk you make.

He's most likely resisting you b/c he can feel what is going on. while there are no words for him, he most likely knows that you are not wanting to nurse him as often as he is wnating to nurse, this is a big change for him so try & comfort him in other ways so that he knows that your still there for him just as much, but in different ways.

I would also try & give him something sweet in the sippy cup, like juice or chocolate milk. I knwo it's not the best thing for a baby's teeth but if you brush them frequently it wont be an issue & once he's weaned & you've left he can go back to water & milk & juice on a reg. routine, instead of more than usual.

As for the actual weaning, I would first get rid of the day feedings. These tend to be less traumatic than the morning & night nursings, night meaning before he goes to bed. Once he's weaned from the day nursings, eliminate the day & then the night, or vise versa. Which ever one you feel should go next. Another thing I would do is talk to him a lot, even though he may not understand every word, he will still understand. For example, as your shortening the time he feeds, say things like "Mamma's gonna nurse you for 10 minutes & then it's time to stop." and then when it's time to stop say "That's enough now, lets go read a book." or lets go play, or whatever you get the idea lol I found this to be invaluable when I was nursing garrett, for some whatever reason he changed the way he suckeled at around the age of 20 months or so & his teeth dug into me & it hurt like crazy, so I had to cut his feedings down. I know he was older than your little chi but I still think it'll work :)

I have more to say but I have to go! So I will be back hun & I'm here for ya if you need anything!

(love & hugs)

Faery-Wings
March 24th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Yes, if you find yourself engorged or leaking, definitely try the cabbage. Hubby laughed and said I smelled like cole slaw, but it realy works!
And I found that the second nursing of the morning was easier to wean than the first one. The first one, I was too full from the whole night and it was a calmer, cuddlier time for me and the kids when they woke. JMHO tho. You will know what works best.

How is is going so far?

Yvonne Belisle
March 24th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Once you have gotten him on the cup a hot wet towel draped across you can help reduce the discomfort from being engorged as well.

Starpixie
April 1st, 2003, 09:59 AM
(((hugs))) Juls. Thanks for all the info guys! I cut out all the day nursings for a week and then lastnight I stopped nursing him at night. We are on our first 24 hours of not nursing. I was off the computer for a week, and wish I had saw the cabbage suggestion. I'll try to get out to get some. Again, thanks a ton everyone, you gals are so helpful! :)

Starpixie
April 1st, 2003, 11:22 PM
I am in pain....OWE!

Faery-Wings
April 2nd, 2003, 08:17 AM
Youch, I remember that pain well. :(

Take some advil and stand in a warm shower, and let the warm water soothe you. Or try the warm towel. You'll get some let down which is ok, you just don't want too much stimulation or you'll get more milk.

And go get some cabbage, Cole Slaw Girl. :p

Starpixie
April 2nd, 2003, 10:33 AM
Thanks hun for all the help! I got cabbage lastnight. I'll try the shower idea when Chandler takes his nap. I forgot that its safe to take something stronger than tylenol now. :lol:

Lady Eryn
April 6th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Starpixie ,
I just posted ,not to long ago , this same question. I have to say that after everyones help here I 'm pleased to say that my dauthre is almost weaned. I started giving her a sippy cup. She takes that durring the day and I only end up brest feeding her at night ,when she's tired. I started giving her foods rich in calcium like yogurt and stuff like that. I also got juices that had the calcium added. Shes doing good now The next time I post I'll most likely need addvice on how to wean her at night.
Try the sippy cup idea. It's worked so far for me. I hoped I helped.