PDA

View Full Version : Practical Rune Magic III

Rick
June 1st, 2001, 08:39 AM
This Runecharm is for "binding a foe". I use it to bind negative energy, or a negative aspect of my life (think "Stop Smoking", for example).

You will need: a votive candle & holder, & something with which to carve on it.

Cast your protective circle & invoke the Northern Gods/desses (refer to Practical Rune Magic I). As you think of the negative aspect you wish to bind, use your candle as a circle with compass points, & carve Dagaz to the East, Nauthiz to the South, Isa to the West, & Thurisaz reversed ("thorn" to the left) to the North. As you carve each Rune, speak/chant/sing it's name.
If you're not too squeamish, put a drop of blood on each Rune. Place the candle in the holder, light it, & place it somewhere that is safe to leave it burning. Let the candle burn until it simply can not burn any more.

Good luck, & happy Runing!

Rick
June 13th, 2001, 08:41 AM

Rick
July 6th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Bump

Myst
July 9th, 2001, 01:28 PM
These little ideas are great, but why do you choose a particular rune or set of runes for each one? I'd like to read about your personal opinions and suggestions on why.

Rick
July 9th, 2001, 02:59 PM
My works on the subject are based on writings by Freya Aswynn, Edred Thorsson, my own research, & my own kennings. This series of Runecharms is from the 'Havamal' in the 'Poetic Edda'. Thorsson says that the Runes spoken of there is the same as the Armanem Runes (used in High German Magic. Briefly, it's the Younger Futhark (16 Runes) with Gebo & Jera added on). Freya Aswynn makes these into 3-Rune charms (she doesn't always agree with Thorsson about the "anchor", or basic, Rune in each charm). I've made them into 4-Rune charms(each Rune corresponds with an element/direction), keeping the Armanem "anchor" Rune.

Silver Venus
July 10th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Thanks so much Ricky baby ~ Ive been neglecting this room a bit but back with a bang today to learn loads of cool new stuff (woke up with my reading cap on this morning!) ~ I love these Runecharms! :D
I think I will try one out tonight as it is Tiw's Day for inspiration and victory!

Rick
July 10th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Silver Venus
Thanks so much Ricky baby ~ Ive been neglecting this room a bit but back with a bang today to learn loads of cool new stuff (woke up with my reading cap on this morning!) ~ I love these Runecharms! :D
I think I will try one out tonight as it is Tiw's Day for inspiration and victory!

As always, Silver dearest...

Good Luck & Happy Runing! :sunny:

Rick
July 31st, 2001, 08:25 AM
The 3rd Runecharm from the Havamal:

"That third I know, if my need be great
to fetter a foeman fell:
I can dull the swords of deadly foes,
that nor wiles nor weapons avail."

Havamal 148:1-4

Mairwen
September 25th, 2001, 12:32 AM
I'd like to thank you for these Rune classes, Rick. I was supposed to be attending a Runeworking class on Tuesdays, but due to certain circumstances have been unable. Have saved all of this to my personal notes. Thanks again.

Rick
December 1st, 2001, 03:53 AM
elevate