PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help with interpretation of tarot elements in a game

Monbec
November 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Okay I'm working on an ARG ("alternate reality game" see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game) for an upcoming MMO The Secret World.

One of the ARG characters is an oracle, and she's been tweeting pictures of tarot cards and updating an 8tracks website with pictures of tarot cards.

I'm fishing here, not sure if this will lead anywhere, or even if it's meant to lead anywhere. Still, in case it does, any insight anyone here is willing to provide would be fantastic.

The tarot cards she gave were, in order:

The Magician
The Hierophant
The High Priestess
The Lovers
The Chariot
Strength
Justice

using rider-waite images.

Because the ARG is using tarot and tarot references (e.g. talking about The Fool's Journey and saying the community needs to prepare for the "second act" of the arcana), I figure someone on their writing staff knows a fair bit about tarot and there could be deeper clues that would only be seen by other people who also know a fair bit about tarot.

I'm wondering if anyone can see any significance in the order these were given, or in the fact that she skipped over The Emperor and Empress, and The Wheel of Fortune. (Also one of her 8tracks mixes uses The Fool (also rider waite) for an icon/mix picture. But the overarching theme is the Fool's Journey apparently, so I'm not sure it's relevant beyond that.)

Of course these images could just be to reinforce The Fool's Journey theme, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

I'm not completely unfamiliar with tarot, but I don't have much experience with it. I'm hoping there are people here who are more experienced with tarot and willing to lend their expertise.

Vampyria
November 25th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I got that deck, will take a look this weekend to see what vibes I get

aynfean
November 25th, 2011, 11:43 AM
They also skipped the Heirophant and Hermit.

There's always a chance that they're just putting random info in for style rather than substance. A lot of fantasy games borrow pagan elements and twist it to fit their world. That said, if I was playing the game I'd probably look for a meaning here.

Second act could mean the switch to the Minor Arcana.

The interpretation of the missing cards would take more time than I have this morning (sorry!) but if I get time over the next few days I can look into it. Without knowing their positions in a possible spread does make it a bit trickier.

Monbec
November 29th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

For spread.. well.. the cards came out on different days, in the order I listed.. except Hierophant and High Priestess were on the same day, and I'm not sure in what order.

It's all here if anyone's interested: http://www.crygaia.net/wiki/The_Fool's_Journey,_Act_2

There's been a bit of an update in the ARG on the TSW forum... people are insisting they have inside knowledge that this latest bit, which would include the tarot cards, isn't part of a puzzle or anything but just some sort of background story information.

I honestly have no idea what's relevant at this point anymore, and I'm leaning towards what aynfean suggested, that the tarot stuff is just there for "style". But if someone still feels like giving it a go let me know if you come up with anything :D.