PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Gardens is closing

Ahautenites
April 12th, 2003, 10:11 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/04/11/cypress.gardens.ap/index.html

After tomorrow, the park will close. Put your hands together to show your appreciation for Osama bin Laden. Thank you, Mr. bin Laden, for ruining yet another fond childhood memory.

MammaStar
April 12th, 2003, 10:21 AM
bummer. :(

Psyche Ague
April 13th, 2003, 02:06 PM
I don't know if we should blame Osama as much as we should blame the (irrational?) fears and paranoia of the American people. I'm not afraid to travel because dammit, I want to live my life the way I want to.

Old Witch
April 13th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Crap!

Ahautenites
April 13th, 2003, 09:52 PM
**nods** True enough. I was just going by what the article said about 9/11 issues being the main reason for the park's demise.

**shakes head sadly** I don't understand how so many people can let it rule their lives like that. Then again, if the radio stations in other states are as idiotic and irresponsible as those here in Colorado, I suppose it's understandable.

Psyche Ague
April 13th, 2003, 11:52 PM
I do want to point out that I'm saddened by the news, though. I apparently didn't type that into my first reply. Oops.

:( I've never even been there...

Ahautenites
April 14th, 2003, 09:38 AM
**smiles** It was so pretty there.

It was the second time I ever went to Florida. I had just turned 10, just barely gotten my period for the first time about a month or two before, my parents had gotten permission for me to miss the first week of fifth grade, I lost my last baby tooth at Sea World the day before, and it's the only vacation I went on with my family. (The first trip to Florida was for a funeral.)

I had so much fun there just chasing the skinks (bright-blue-tailed salamanders) and other little lizards and amphibians in there. The odor of all of the flowers was heavenly, the Spanish moss on the trees was so intriguing (had to dissect some of it on the spot, simply because I'd never seen any up-close-and-personal before), and the ladies in those big Southern belle gowns made me want to be one when I grew up because they were so beautiful and refined. I thought it was the oddest (and most fascinating thing) that there were signs all over the place warning about how alligators could lurk down any particular path. Didn't see any, but my mom and I did find a very large black snake while we were there on one of the trails. Mom freaked out and went running to get someone to remove it. I do remember being surprised to see so many flowers in bloom, seeing as it was becoming autumn back in Massachusetts at the time.

~ Monk ~
April 14th, 2003, 10:28 AM
This is a shame. Looks like it was the mighty Disney empire that was the real start of its downfall though - and 9/11 sealed it.

Valnorran
April 14th, 2003, 09:14 PM
One good thing about living in Louisiana: I can see that stuff whenever I want to. I grew up on (and am still living on) my family's antebellum sugar cane plantation.

FaerySong
April 24th, 2003, 09:06 AM
=( that's so sad! I even live in Florida and haven't even gotten the chance to go there.... :wah: thats sad. Luckily for me, since I do live in FL, I can see the beautiful alligators at Myaka or something... :( but still. It is ridiculous how people are letting 9/11 dominate them, thats just what the terrorists wanted! grr....

Ahautenites
April 24th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Was too lazy to find the thread a few days ago, but I read on CNN last week (I think) that the State of Florida wants to buy the park and reopen it.

FaerySong
April 24th, 2003, 11:45 AM
huzzaah for the state of Florida!

Psyche Ague
April 24th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Ooh, well, let's hope!