PDA

View Full Version : Broken Broomsticks; Overcoming Personal Tragedy Within The Craft

Tammy Sullivan
August 26th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I am currently working on a new book - Broken Broomsticks. Suffice to say this book has been a long time coming. That said, what would you like to see included? What tragedy have you been through and how did the Craft play a part in your healing?

Dragonwyke
August 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
i've been lurking for some time now, but have been a member for awhile. i've been lurking because i've been too busy to sit still for very long. personal tragedy. there's been ALOT of that in my life, i don't believe i've ever really "healed" from any of it. i am a very angry person. however, becoming a pagan atheist witch has helped me find peace w/in myself. i find myself and my family heading into another great tragedy and loss that none of us, especially me, will ever truly recover from. does anyone really recover from losing the one person they've ever loved in all their lives? i don't know, it's never happened to me before, but it's getting ready to. lol these are the kinds of devastating blows that have come down all my life, how do you heal from that when it just keeps coming? i don't know, i think you just learn to live w/the pain and find peaceful corners in your heart and mind. i don't really believe in healing, any more than i believe the gods are real or that justice exists in this life.

i like the Broken Broomsticks title. that's very relevant.

Dragonwyke~

monsnoleedra
August 26th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I am currently working on a new book - Broken Broomsticks. Suffice to say this book has been a long time coming. That said, what would you like to see included? What tragedy have you been through and how did the Craft play a part in your healing?

I hate to say it but to be honest a book with that title I would simply bypass on the shelf. Broomsticks to me implies nothing but Neo-Wicca and that is not my interest any more than the white light of new agey stuff is. Truthfully I could see where the title itself would deter a fair amount of the Pagan umbrella groups. Even making it Besom would do little to change the image that the title paints in my opinion.

Dragonwyke
August 26th, 2012, 10:42 PM
i don't know, i think broken broomsticks is a pretty good title considering what broomsticks or besoms represent in wicca and witchcraft. the item itself is pretty important to a basic home just in basic mundane stuff anyway. recovering from tragedy and hardship in life is basic to anyone's life, whether we're pagan, asatru, wicca, judaic, atheist, or christian. i thinks it's just about a perfect title for a book such as this.

dw~

monsnoleedra
August 26th, 2012, 11:11 PM
i don't know, i think broken broomsticks is a pretty good title considering what broomsticks or besoms represent in wicca and witchcraft. the item itself is pretty important to a basic home just in basic mundane stuff anyway. recovering from tragedy and hardship in life is basic to anyone's life, whether we're pagan, asatru, wicca, judaic, atheist, or christian. i thinks it's just about a perfect title for a book such as this.

dw~

Personaly i'd disagree. The besom or broom stick holds no meaning in a shamanic aspect, a hedgewitch aspect, a greenwitch aspect, most recon practices and even in many kitchenwitch aspects. Look to Wicca and you do not see a besom or broomstick as a critical item that one is suggested to have, well outside of Silver Ravenwolf or one of those writers. At best it's a holdover of the Witch trials and the concept that witches rode it to the gatherings, at worse part and parcel of the hollywood influence upon what is Witchcraft and what a witch must have. Even the concept of it being basic mundane stuff is at best a wishful pondering when one looks to what suggested materials and means of making one recommend.

A leaky Cauldron would be more applicable to most pagan practices than a besom / broomstick. Of course this is all my own opinion so it may not be applicable to others.

Tammy Sullivan
August 27th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Thank you both for your comments. Broken Broomsticks is a working title, they are often changed to something the publisher thinks will work better.

This book is all about closure and finding peace of mind after a heartbreak of some kind.

lightdragon
August 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM
A leaky Cauldron would be more applicable to most pagan practices than a besom / broomstick. Of course this is all my own opinion so it may not be applicable to others.
Leaky Cauldron would sound too Harry potterish.

what about Broken staffs ?

Heliotrope
August 27th, 2012, 10:07 AM
what about Broken staffs ?

Why not just name it Crooked Penises while we're on this Freudian flip? "Leaky Cauldron" or "vagina with period"?

The book idea is cute, OP, but I agree with MonSno. The title makes your book sound like the campiest self-help tosh that Llewellyn could possibly publish under New Age. Believe me, I bet they'd be running to the presses with this. Is it about you, or IS it a campy self-help book? Because you can go to any Half Price books and check the clearance section for more than enough of that.

Be aware of your audience. Be more aware of what you're doing. If we have enough of what you're writing already, and believe me, we have enough self-help to fill up Mars, please consider putting your talents elsewhere, such as an autobiography.

I could be wrong and probably am. I'm just making assumptions based on what little I've been given as far as your post.

Twinkle
August 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM
You had me at Crooked Penis

Tammy Sullivan
August 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM
While I thank you all for your opinions on the title and the subject - the point of this thread was to hear your stories.

monsnoleedra
August 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM
While I thank you all for your opinions on the title and the subject - the point of this thread was to hear your stories.

The thing is my stories would have nothing to do with Broomsticks or Besoms or Wicca. Nor would I trully want to contribute to a book of stories that appears to be marketed to Neo-Wiccan's by its title. To me that would simply classify my beliefs and experiences beneath that same heading which I do not claim. Factor in that I do not think the gods / goddesses save us or that the "Craft" enables us to survive but that it is all part of our own desire and determination to succeed.

My pathwalk is my life as such it is the totality of it all not just a single facet of some aspect that enables me to survive. In my experience the "Craft" no more saves us or enables us than it causes us pain and hardship during the Dark Night of the Soul periods.

Heliotrope
August 30th, 2012, 12:25 PM

And this is where I reply that I'd be too worried that our stories would show up in whatever you're writing, without permission, possibly even under your own name as your own experiences. We'd certainly get no credit. We're people on the internet, faceless and unbecoming.

When people who are "writing a book" ask anonymous folks for information regarding their own work, the above is what I see. It appears to me that you're looking for an easy way to fill some chapters.

Fffffffff, is what I say.

Twinkle
August 30th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I applaud you all for your caution about what you post on the internet. I don't see that much, anymore.

Theres
August 31st, 2012, 04:51 PM
my wife and i were together for 27 years, 24 married. for our ninth wedding anniversary we decided to get handfasted (our first wedding being generally agnostic), and jumping the broom was a very prominant part of that ceremony. we both identified as Wiccan at that time.
3 months ago my beautiful wife committed suicide at the age of 45.
broom broken, along with nearly everything else in life.

i believe the broom is a very definite part of various pagan paths. not only the Wicca significance of representing the hearth and home, but in ancient paths as well. sweepings were often used in rituals and magic in ancient Greek times, representing a purefication.

i don't dismiss the broom's relevence.

monsnoleedra
August 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM
my wife and i were together for 27 years, 24 married. for our ninth wedding anniversary we decided to get handfasted (our first wedding being generally agnostic), and jumping the broom was a very prominant part of that ceremony. we both identified as Wiccan at that time.
3 months ago my beautiful wife committed suicide at the age of 45.
broom broken, along with nearly everything else in life.

i believe the broom is a very definite part of various pagan paths. not only the Wicca significance of representing the hearth and home, but in ancient paths as well. sweepings were often used in rituals and magic in ancient Greek times, representing a purefication.

i don't dismiss the broom's relevence.

Sorry to hear about your wife.

With regards to the broom and Greek times would you say the broom was only an instrument that enabled the action to take place? The offerings to Hecate / Hekate and the cleansing and purification of the home seems to be a right action and though more so than just the usage of a broom. Sort of a means to an end where the item used is of little to no importance compared to the action and final result.

Theres
August 31st, 2012, 10:14 PM
correct. it is just a tool. but try sweeping without one.

the tool itself is relevent. just look at the 'trial of the blade' in Athenian sacrifice.

and thank you.

Tammy Sullivan
September 8th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Theres, thank you for responding - it is so good to see you! I am very sorry for your loss, I had no idea.

To everyone else: I understand your caution and see your point. One can never be too careful.