PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss the ancient egyptians?

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:04 AM
-- Posted by Rosabelle on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

i was just wondering, what would the world be like if the ancient egyptian civilizations had continued until about 1600. would our world be cleaner? would we ALL be Egyptian? would the world have been over taken with tombs? i am REALLY interested in the Egyptian religion and the way of life. i would like to hear your views on what you think the world would be like.
i think we would have all lived longer instead of only living till about 40 in those days.
what do you all think?

Rosabelle :)

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:04 AM
-- Posted by mol on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Actually, I have been studying more about Egyptian Paths and deities associated. I would like to hear more of everyones views associated with those times as well.

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:05 AM
-- Posted by semele on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Walk like an egyptian!!!

Sorry..its just that I had nothing to add here and its the first one I came to where I had no reply. You know us Leo's. We gotta be the center of attention, even if we know nothing and I mean absolutely nothing about egypt.....aren't they the ones with the big pyramids and stuff?
Semele

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:05 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote: from semele on 4:08 am on Jan. 28, 2001
Walk like an egyptian!!!

Sorry..its just that I had nothing to add here and its the first one I came to where I had no reply. You know us Leo's. We gotta be the center of attention, even if we know nothing and I mean absolutely nothing about egypt.....aren't they the ones with the big pyramids and stuff?
Semele

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, glad to see you are adding to the interesting conversation...:P

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:08 AM
-- Posted by Polaris on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

MM,
i miss the ancient egyptians as i loove their art and culture, and i also want to know how they built the pyramids!!!i think that their would still be slavery though, but we would all probably be healtier and more united. i think if the egyptians still existed then we may(speaking from a european point of view)not have found the americas. then the incas and olmecs and mayans would all not of been wiped out by the spanish. i like egyptian culture. it is very intersting how they had half animal/half human gods.
MP
Pol.

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:09 AM
-- Posted by Shatav on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Quote: from Rosabelle on 2:59 am on Jan. 28, 2001
would we ALL be Egyptian?

Clarify this for me, do you mean Egyptian in religion? Then, no, I don't think so. How many religions do we have in our world right now? I still think others would have developed. Would the religion still be around intact, however? Yes, that I could definitely see.

would the world have been over taken with tombs?

:) That one I also doubt. The pyramids (which is what I assume you mean by tombs) were reserved only for the pharoahs. Commoners, like the world is mostly composed of now, were buried in tombs called mastabas, which are very similar to our graves in size. Since there are very few royalty left, and since some of the royalty of the world would have been other religions (has there ever been one world religion?) I don't think we would have been overwhelmed at all. There just would have been more pyramids around to marvel at...and maybe less graverobbing, but I don't want to get started on that one.

Shatav

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:09 AM
-- Posted by Lyra on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Well..The Egyptians belief in animal shaped dieties started in ancient times..The people looked at the animals around them and they were awed attheir ablities to survive in that harsh land...there was the vukture, the hawk, the jackel, the lion, the hippo and the crocodile..all formidable to kill for food..The hunter on returning to their hearths would tell tales of how bravely the animal fought and some of the ways in which the animal outsmarted him..In time these stories led to the myths about the gods as seen thru these early settlers eyes...the combination of man and animal seemed pretty reasonable to them as they saw all creatures as residents of the same world they inhabited,,,they did not conquor these creatures by killing them off...but bye diefying them and making them gods...after all the animals were here first....A story or two...Did you ever wonder why the way of death is to the west?...Well it was the west side of the nile where all the tombs were located.....Why is the jackel a symbol of Anubis the God of Death and embalming...In ancient times before tombs the early egyptians buried their dead much like other civilizations did ..In pits with offerings and items for the journey into the afterlife....And the Jackel roamed these desert lands and was often seen digging up these pit graves for the offerings as well as the departed...This cinched his association with death..Does anyone know that jackels are much closer to felines than canines on the evolutionary scale?..they wash themselves like cats and their cry sounds more like a caterwhaul than a bark...just some tid bits...Now a story...
While living in Chicago I went to an exhibit of egyptian art and a full size temple that the ciaro museum had leant out..There were fascinating things..Mummies,jewelry, golden statues and a full funeral barge...i was in awe and felt very much at home..I turned the corner and there before me was the Statue of Anubis the Jackel reclining Coal black with golden eyes and a golden collar...i was transfixed....my heart pounded...I suddenly felt myself in the Gods presence and felt the power all those worshippers of old had placed in their God....I fell to both knees in awe..luckily no one had seen me..I stood and walked over to the state it was then I realized there was no protective glass on the lower half of the statue...I then did the stupidest thing I have ever done...i touched the foot of the statue very lightly..My head swam and i felt power and rebirth and suddenly no fear of the life beyond..it ever changed the way I saw myself and the gods...i found myself outside the museum ranting like a maniac to all my coven bretheren.......MA'AT

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:10 AM
-- Posted by Shatav on 7:00 pm on Dec. 31, 1969

Beautiful story, Lyra! Yinepu is the Egyptian deity that I am most strongly connected with myself. He came to me in a deep fit of depression when I was in ninth grade, (which actually was not long after I started my Wiccan training). He's been with me ever since and I have a nice shrine set up to him at home. Glad to find another Anubifile here. :)

Shatav

mysticwicks
February 10th, 2001, 12:11 AM

I must say that I find all of this very fascinating..and while I dont have much to add I do have much to learn about the Egyptian Deities and ways of the Old. Please continue on with more information. Feel free to create topic and elaborate on different aspects of these Deities.

Love and Light!

Tigerwallah
March 1st, 2001, 10:16 PM
Lyra, the same kind of thing happened to me at a museum exhibit. It was at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. When I was 12, I went there for the first time. I was mesmerized with the Temple of Dendur, which is a Temple dedicated to Isis of Philidae. I never stopped thinking about that temple. I didn't know at the time it was Isis' temple. When I was 23, 10 years ago, I finally made my way back there again.
When I walked into the exhibit room, I was suddenly overcome with an immediate and powerful sense of complete peace. My sould left my body that day and my spirit soared. Isis spoke to me. She offered me the answers that I had always been seeking (I was a fallen away Catholic even before I was forced to make my confirmation). After that day, I found mircles surrounding almost every visit I made to her temple. Over the years, those miracles were no longer tied to the temple. After that day, I also felt the spirit of Sekhemet. Sometimes, I would actually feel her physical presence, or the presence of of two lions, usually, when I was in a dangerous situation. Now, I have no fear. Isis has given me the gift of absolute security. That's my story.

Earth Walker
March 18th, 2001, 07:28 PM
No, I have never met them. :p:

LaDaya
March 21st, 2001, 08:02 PM
I definitely think life would be different but I don't know really how different... I know slavery would still exist. Their religion would still exist although it may have changed from what we know.

Tigerwallah
March 22nd, 2001, 12:29 AM
I don't know how fair it is to generalize about the Ancient Egyptians as slave owners. :/.

For ten years I have searched for evidence of the Hebrews being enslaved in Egypt and found nothing. The Egyptians were fabulous record keepers, yet the only non-Egyptians I could find were Romans and Nubians - both living and working side by side Egyptian soldiers and workers.

It is widely accepted that Ramses II was the "Pharoh" reffered to in Exodus. He is know today as one of the most ambitious builders of Ancient Egypt. Archeologists are discovering, however, that these were "paid" laborers, and not slaves. This includes the builders of the Great Pyramid under Khufu, as well as the pyramid built by his father Snefru. Recently, the homes and graves of some of the laborers were found. Evidence points to the fact that these were homes, and not slave quaters, and that these people were burried with reverence (many had tombs that mimicked the pharoh's with less elaborately and bejewled sarcophaguses), and not in mass graves as one would expect slaves to be burried. In fact, the latest theory is that there were a group of well paid skilled laborers and a larger group of unskilled laborers that also received compensation for their work.

I can't say for sure that there wasn't slavery in Ancient Egypt at times in history, but there was slavery in North America much more recently, and that had nothing to do with the Ancient Egyptians. Slavery is a human thing, not a thing to be attributed to a single race of people. I do know that women were given more reverence in Ancient Egypt than anywhere else in the world at that time. Women often held the position of spiritual leader, and some women even became Pharoh. In 2001, we have still yet to see a woman ruler of the United States -food for thought.

Ozymandias
March 22nd, 2001, 02:34 AM
I love all things Egyptian. I have a comic book character I created called Phoenix based heavily in egyptian folklore. Also two of my personal heroes ruled Egypt-Ramses the 2nd and Alexander the Great.

As a side note for those who don't know Ozymandias is the greek name for Ramses the 2nd.

adrian
March 23rd, 2001, 06:07 PM
Hail !
I, like others here am very interested in things egyptian but to answer the question one has to look back at the people and the culture, our scientist don't really know how old the pyramids are or who built them; they say they were built some 5,000 yrs ago but when doing my own research into the matter i can believe that they are
much, much older... the people of that time period lived and created for the future, they lived everyday in spiritual awareness and yet they are gone. we have only their accomplishments, which surpass our abilities to remind us of who they were and what they tried to pass on to us. all we have to do is look around the world and we can see how great civilization spread across the face of the earth. The egyptians didn't die out and left no trace, we are them and they are us and from within we can reconnect with our heratage and re-
claim what we once were... spiritual beings of love and light.
Em Hotep

Melysande
March 14th, 2002, 11:37 PM
My favorite game! "What if...?"

I was just wondering, what would the world be like if the ancient egyptian civilizations had continued until about 1600. would our world be cleaner? would we ALL be Egyptian? would the world have been over taken with tombs? i am REALLY interested in the Egyptian religion and the way of life. i would like to hear your views on what you think the world would be like.
i think we would have all lived longer instead of only living till about 40 in those days. What do you all think?I think there would be more of a holistic approach to medicine, whereas we're only just now starting to realize that things like prayer, music and aromatherapy and reiki (hope I spelled that right) are important to healing as well as strictly medicinal and surgical things.

There would be interesting libraries full of scrolls rather than bound books. Papyrus would be a booming industry. My handwriting would finally be considered acceptible (seeing as my henscratch looks a lot like hieratic now, as is). Then again, I probably wouldn't know how to write. Most of the Egyptians didn't.

Eating would be an interesting experience. I don't believe they had forks. We'd be a lot smellier, since they like onions and garlic. (Good eating, as well as good for keeping spirits away.)

Makeup would probably be cheaper. (Revlon, Max Factor, Mabelline, Neutrogena; are you listening!?!)

People would be less inhibited.

There would be wayyyyyy more state holidays. Then again, we'd all be celebrating holidays on Egyptian time, so that would probably cause dissent. The new year would begin at a different time every year. (Boy, would that mess up computers.) And then there's the difference in seasons. Egypt has three. I live in a four-season zone. This calendar thing would mess me up royally. (huh. I think I mean that "royally" both ways. As in "majorly" and is in "Royalty-related.") Many of the holidays are based on seasonal crop-growing. Planting season in Egypt has to be different in the rest of the world farther northward and southward.

We probably wouldn't have the holes in the ozone layer because so many of them wore wigs that were perfectly coifed WITHOUT aerosol hairspray.

That's all I can think of, for now.

Earthcup
March 15th, 2002, 02:11 AM
Why not the Incans and Aztecs and Mayans? :eyebrow:

Dancin Girl
March 15th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Hmmmmmmm The Egyptians and Aztecs are alive and doing quite well in my little world created by Civilizations game, but the British aren't faring well and are on the verge on being whiped out!!

Melysande
March 15th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Some day, I will break down and buy Civilizations. Or one of the other Egyptian kinds of games. (I'm not usually into games.)

As to why Egyptians over Aztecs and Mayans.... **shrugs** I like Egyptian art better. :p

Earthcup
March 15th, 2002, 02:16 PM
lol It was a late night post! I just think the Incans are cool...

I have nothing against Egyptians, modern or ancient! ;)

I think Egypt would have more tourist business if the religon and culture of ancient Egypt survived the spread of Islam and Christianity. It would be a more colorful vibrant place with temples and art everywhere...

Mnemosyne
March 15th, 2002, 09:19 PM
The Mayans and Incas are cool to learn about too, Dancin Girl. I share the same opinion with Earthcup though. I find the Egyptians to be so fascinating and magical. I teach ancient history to 12 yr. olds. They love learning about pyramids and mummies. For literature class, they read this book called Egypt Game by Snyder. In the book, these two girls become friends because they love ancient Egypt and pretending to be from that time period. If you guys like Egypt, perhaps you would enjoy reading the Egypt Game even though it's a children's book. It's quite entertaining.

Dancin Girl
March 16th, 2002, 02:46 AM
My teenage son had little or no interest at all in any kind of history until he started playing the Civilizations game and figuring out all of the historical information and characteristics of the different cultures that are portrayed in the game scenarios. As a result, he has developed an interest and fascination with Egypt and with the Aztecs, Incas and Mayans.