PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

Gently Gazing Eyes
May 16th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Hiya.

I've been reading a lot of the links that Twig put up in the stuck threads up there, and I have been speaking with some people online who are or at least claim to be practicing Druids, and I have come to a bit of a problem. Aside from differing terminology for what appears to me as the same thing, such as sacred space and the groups of like-minded people, I can find very little from the general information given that discerns to me a difference between Wicca as I know it at this point, and Druidry as I know it at this point. The only concrete thing I have found was from someone I met online who said that Druids put more emphasis on the Sun than on the Moon.

I mean no disrespect to either of these religions, but I was wondering if anyone could point me toward something detailed enough to establish a differentiation?

Bright Blessings and thanks. :)

st0rm
May 16th, 2003, 05:17 AM
http://www.druidorder.demon.co.uk/druid_history.htm here's a link for u ;)

Twig
May 17th, 2003, 08:23 AM
That's what we are in a way. The male side to Wicca. You WILL see a LOT of similarities. Why? Because every yin needs a yang so to say. That and perhaps when the druidesses were forced underground the practices may have evolved into what is now considered witchcraft or Wicca.

That is all conjecture with only 1 cup o joe in me though.

Peace,
Twig
:elf:

Gently Gazing Eyes
May 17th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Thanks Twig.
Enlightening.

I was looking forward to you responding.
I sent ya a PM; there's a thread in Just Talk I'd like ya to see. :)

Once again, bright blessings.

Myrddyn Emrys
May 20th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Not in any way to degrade Wicca, but Druidry has always focused on learning. Not just learning the way of that path, but knowlege in general. Druids were the scholars, teachers, historians, and even geneaologists of the tribe or clan. An Arch-Druid knew the lineage of everyone in the clan, and usually ALL the tribes connected to his. They were also Physicians and Anatomists, knowing herbal lore and quite knowledgable of anatomy from their sacrifices of the time (THANK GODS! We don't have to do that!!) They were astronomers as well, using the stars and lunar cycles to time plantings and harvests.

Yes, many Wiccan traditions do these things as well, but I hope this helped some.

Myrddyn Emrys

LaDaya
May 26th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Not trying to start an argument or anything but I thought Druidry had both male and female participants? Why would it be considered the male side if it has both?

And I think the main difference between Wicca and Druidry is one the antiquity and the learning differences between the two.

Myrddyn Emrys
May 26th, 2003, 06:33 PM
A long time ago...

(no not in another galaxy far away)

Before Glastonbury Tor became a home for Christianity, Druidry was SOMEWHAT divided between the sexes.

The Druids were the male aspect (although they did let women into their division), and the Sisterhood was the female aspect(although they too did let men into their division). These two aspects worked in unison on all matters. You had the Archderwydd (chief Druid) and the Lady of the Lake also referred to as the Ana (the high Priestess).

Myrddyn Emrys

LaDaya
May 26th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Okay so I continue to wallow in my idiocy. Thanks for the information. I didn't realize there were different sects. I'll go shut up now.

Twig
May 26th, 2003, 09:43 PM
:meanface: This wallow in my idiocy and shut up now has to stop!
Come on :) these are NOT "stupid Questions" and I for one get angry when a person feels or talks like they are "not worthy" or insubstantial in anything.

Everything and everybody has a starting point and an ending point. even a circle.

Yeah Mol, I'm not a moderator anymore. Hah, so fire me! hehehe

Peace,
Twig
:elf:

Myrddyn Emrys
May 26th, 2003, 11:56 PM
LaDaya,

I am sorry if I have offended you or made you feel inadequate in any way, I was just merely trying to answer your question.

Those of us (like the Twig-meister and I) that have been at this for many years ENJOY answering honest questions such as yours. It is an honour for a Druid to reach the point in his(or her) path where they are approached as a teacher and can pass on what they know. At times, we may just give clean, cut, concise answers, just the facts and no more. Sometimes, this is not what the one asking needs, they need more, and feel as if they are being an inconvenience when they recieve what appears to be a rather blunt, curt, reply. When the one questioning says "ok, I'll shut up now", the Druid tends to feel as if they did something wrong. Is the "student" now afraid to ask questions? Did WE offend? Will it leave a bad taste in their mouth toward Druidry?

A lot of times my answers come from obscure little passages in books from my collection, that unless someone has read through them repeatedly they may miss. I hav re-read so many of these books I've had to replace worn out copies.

Please, if you care to, ask me a thousand questions a day and I will do my best to answer them all, or refer you to someone or some site that can. Or if you find my answers not to your liking, ask someone. When one stops questioning, one stops learning.

again, my apology if I have done you wrong. It was never my intent.

Sincerely,
Myrddyn Emrys
(aka Tully Reill)

LaDaya
May 27th, 2003, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry that I made it sound like you had offended me. No one here has. I guess I feel like I should know more than what I do and personally I feel stupid when I don't know something that seems so simple, and it doesn't help that in many places you go to either on the web or in person you get people telling you how stupid your questions are and how "fluffy wannabe" I am to be asking them in the first place. I guess I've just gotten so used to apologizing for pretty much everything that it's become habit.

Thank you for the information. I will be hanging around fairly often I hope. I do want to learn more about Druidry even with as hard as it seems to be to find information or books on it. :)

*Promises to stop calling herself an idiot and telling herself to shut up. *

Myrddyn Emrys
May 28th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by LaDaya

*Promises to stop calling herself an idiot and telling herself to shut up. *

thank you, sincerely

You could be experiencing traces of "past memories" that make you feel you should be further along. That'll pass.

Your friend,
Myrddyn Emrys

LaDaya
May 28th, 2003, 07:11 PM
I've often wondered if that was the case. There seems to be so much that I start researching that I feel like I should know it. Like it's something I've already learned but can't remember. You know when you take a test and you've studied for it and you come to a question that you just know that you have the answer for but no matter how hard you try you just can't remember it. That's what it feels like alot of the time and it's very distracting. Plus I seem to have the worst luck in that I always end up meeting those people that are a little too full of themselves. Oh well... I'll be good I promise. :D

Myrddyn Emrys
May 28th, 2003, 09:05 PM
It takes time to get through a block like that. But then, one day when you least expect it, something will act as a key and open an infinitely new realm for you. Hopefully it won't be something as drastic as what removed the block for me. But, something will.

Myrddyn Emrys

She-Arna
June 4th, 2003, 06:39 AM
I've read through most of this thread and I have to say this: the only stupid questions are the ones that go unasked. :) That and this thread was really useful!!