PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James lands $90M deal w/Nike

~ Monk ~
May 22nd, 2003, 02:04 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030522/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bkn_james_nike_5

...and here's what I hate about sports today. Not one day spent in the pros, and already the endorsements are being signed.

Stuff like this makes me hope that hockey is never as popular as the NBA and NFL. I can see it now: the Sedin brothers endorsing Doublemint gum...:goodgrief

Ben Trismegistus
May 23rd, 2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Shpongle

...and here's what I hate about sports today. Not one day spent in the pros, and already the endorsements are being signed.

It gets worse. I was listening to a story about this on NPR this morning, and they were interviewing somebody in marketing at Nike. He was explaining that Allan Iverson is perceived as having a "tough image" and "street cred", and therefore sells a ton of shoes; whereas Kobe Bryan, who is undoubtedly a better basketball player, doesn't sell as many shoes.

So not only have sports been corrupted by merchandising, but now they're incorporating the whole "thug" culture too?

It's disgusting.

Chibi-Fallon
May 23rd, 2003, 05:07 PM
I was talking about this in English class. But first off what I want to happen to LeBron James if for him to blow all his money, then do something really dumb (like the rest of the NBA), break something and then see what real life is like with only a high school education. :D
It's honestly gotten retarded to see how much these people are paid to do pretty much nothing. Compared to how much they work with how much they make and they don't deserve it.

You know what'd be funny? If a teacher, you know someone who actually helps people grow, made that much money. :crazylaug