View Full Version : Vegetarian?

May 25th, 2003, 09:39 AM
So....Whats your diet like?
What are your reasons for this type of diet?

May 25th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Personally, I am your basic omnivore. I don't know how common my own personal background is, because I am very deeply spiritual and have been walking a pagan path for more than two years now, but my education is based in science...biological anthropology to be exact. That's a lot of time spent talking about evolution and looking at bones and teeth and what I know after handling numerous human skulls and jaws is that people have teeth of meat eaters. It's the diet our bodies evolved to.

I try to practice my own version of thanksgiving ritual when I eat meat, thanking the animal, blessing it and telling it I hope it has a long walk in the Summerland and never need fear again.

(I apologize to all those out there who think meat eating is cruel and awful, but to me, part of appreciating nature is recognizing our place in it, not just as people, but as an animal as well...and as much as I love my cat and my dog, they do not remove me from the natural food chain.)

I hope I haven't offended anybody...

May 25th, 2003, 12:29 PM
I eat everything. I'm not fussy, I like food!:D

May 25th, 2003, 02:04 PM
I'm vegan.

Bainidhe Dub
May 25th, 2003, 03:12 PM
I'm with Juniecat. I know a lot of people find eating meat well not appetizing, but it's all about personal choice. I like meat (nothing's better than a good steak lol) but I refuse to eat or buy veal or lamb, for obvious reasons.

Rain Gnosis
May 25th, 2003, 03:52 PM
I agree with some of the responses so far, especially Juniecat's :thumbsup: I know some people cut down on meat for health reasons (feeling that our ancestors couldn't pick up a mammoth in the grocery store every night 'n all :D) and I think that's cool, and I have a lot of respect for people who choose to go vegetarian because of personal feelings and research, but it's just not for me.

We eat beef probably once a week, chicken, pork, fish, and turkey the rest of the time, and milk and eggs are staples. I live on a farm (and can point out which animals are going to be on the table soon), my dad's a butcher, I've been seeing butchering since I was a little kid. *shrugs*

May 25th, 2003, 04:28 PM
the Dragonfly is pretty strictly vegetarian, and i'm lacto-ovo-pesco...
not because we love animals, but because we hate plants!

May 25th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by GoddessViviane

I picked "full vegetarian".

I don't eat meat, fish, or chicken, or any other type of food that comes from dead animals.

I do, however, eat cheese, and sometimes I drink milk.

I eat eggs ONLY if it's baked into something I have to eat - veggie burgers, Quorn, etc.

At first when I became a vegetarian (three years ago), it was for health reasons - eating meat made me feel tired, heavy, nauseous, etc. Nowadays, I don't understand how I could possibly eat meat, now when I know how the animals are slaughtered.

I haven't even tasted fish in 12 years, because I hate hate hate it. The taste is horrible...

May 25th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Yay, Juniecat! :D Excellent answer. I agree totally with you and I picked the first one.

I eat a lot of meat.. sometimes more than I do veggies.. but it's because I crave it. I'm 5'5" and 118 pounds.. I don't weigh much and I eat a lot of protien. I try to balance it out with veggies and fruits, but I mostly eat meat. 8O

Right now, I'm eating chicken soup. But pasta is my major weakness!

I respect vegetarians and vegans.. as I don't understand -how- they could possibly go without meat. I tried for a week or so and about killed a cow in the process. I couldn't stay away from meat! I have an easier time going without caffiene than I do meat. :/

Myrddyn Emrys
May 25th, 2003, 07:12 PM
I will never put anoyne else down for their beliefs (religious or eating habits) but I am a true omnivore. No religious basis, other than every time we have any form of meat, we take the juices from the package and give this back to the earth. Sure, not quite the same as the Celts used to do, but as close as I can get without hunting and butchering my own.

Like PhoenixBlue, I will not eat veal or lamb for the obvious reasons.

Myrddyn Emrys

May 25th, 2003, 07:41 PM
M*M everyone :)

This is something I struggeled with for a long time, was it right, was it wrong ~ were we really meant to eat meat ~ was it really unhealthy or was it indeed heathly. When I really thought about it though the answer to me was obvious. Everything in moderation & appreciation for everything.

I too grew up on farm land, I was also raised with the Pagago Native Americans in the Chiraqoua Mtns of Arizona ~ and due to that have grown a great respect for these animals that we eat, both wild & domestic. The sacredness that these people held for the animals that they ate I found to be increadible & have since gone on to raise my boys with this same respect & reverence.

I do feel that were meant to eat meat, if one chooses not to I don't see anything wrong with that ~ the only thing I disagree with is when one says that were meant to be vegetarians ~ either way I believe that showing respect & appreciation for all animals is a must.

Myrddyn Emrys
May 25th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Another reason I will never go strictly Vegan is a scientific one.

There are two of the necessary amino acids that we can only obtain from red meat. All the others we can obtain from plant matter or our bodies synthesize them, but those two are necessary for the human body to function properly.

Granted, if these were able to be stockpiled in the body, I'd have a supply to last me into the next millenium with all the meat I've consumed in this life! :nyah:

But, to each their own...

By the way, I AM an avid fan of having nothing but a grandiose ultimate garden salad with the works on occation for dinner. At times not even a steak can top that!

Myrddyn Emrys

May 26th, 2003, 01:21 AM
It seems that most here are meat & veggie eaters & the few that aren't haven't given much reason as to why they choose to refrain from eating meat. I would be curious as to what your reasons are? Perhaps those who are aren't replying due to how many here do eat meat & are perhaps a little intimidated to do so? I hope that if you want to reply to this that you feel you can :) I really enjoying hearing both sides to issues like this, not so much for debate reasons but just to know & learn, blame the gemini in me for this one lol

May 26th, 2003, 01:43 AM
okay then...

the reason i refrain from eating meat is that, for me, there is no reason to do so.
animal protein, when cooked, is virtually un-assimilable. this goes for broiled meat OR pastuerised milk. and there has been a number of studies which show a connection between undigested protein and cancer.
vegetable protein on the other hand is almost totally assimilable. rice and beans (or corn and beans) is one of the best foods you can eat (1,000,000,000 peasants can't be wrong!)

the one thing somewhat lacking in a completely vegetarian (or vegan) diet is minerals. all this means is that one should take care to include high mineral veggies in their diet.

add to this the disgusting way in which most commercial meat is processed (NOT just lamb and veal), and i'll abstain, thank you very much.
free range meat is much better, but very expensive. it's just not necessary.

i have no moral problem with people eating meat. in fact, as a Wiccan i truly feel that the harvesting of animal products might be fundamental to the origins of my religion. but again, that doesn't make it nesessary.

the ONLY reason to eat meat is because you want to.

May 26th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Thanks for responding greenman! :)

the reason i refrain from eating meat is that, for me, there is no reason to do so. animal protein, when cooked, is virtually un-assimilable. this goes for broiled meat OR pastuerised milk. and there has been a number of studies which show a connection between undigested protein and cancer.
vegetable protein on the other hand is almost totally assimilable. rice and beans (or corn and beans) is one of the best foods you can eat (1,000,000,000 peasants can't be wrong!)

Do you think this has more to do w/ how the animals are raised & all of the awful hormones that they pump these animals full of? Not to mention how much meat we over eat?

I think that we've become spoiled & eat more meat than we should in order to mantain a healthy diet, put that & the garbage that they fill these animals with and I can see why eating meat wouldn't be appetizing nor healthy. However I also feel that in moderation w/ a good variety in our diets & an adequate amount of exericise that in all reality we'll be just fine.

Our grocery bill is quite high due to where we purchase our meat & dairy, however it's worth it to me.

Edited: Was thinking about this this morning while doing dishes & it occoured to me that unless there have been extensive studies on how meat reacts both in humans & in test form we'd have to have a study on meat that is both contaminated w/ what we give them & meat that is simply & naturally grown ~ otherwise I don't think we'll have a very clear idea as to how unhealthy or healthy it is. I've not done any research on this so there very well may be studies like this out there ~ if I get a moment for pure curiosity I just might go a diggin for info lol

May 26th, 2003, 02:08 AM
I picked #3. I still eat fish, eggs, cheese and milk. I'm just trying to eat healthier, plus Greeman is right about processing of beef. Really foul stuff. I eat the above listed foods because I maintain a high protein diet. Also I love salmon and refuse to give it up.

Tarbh Nathroch
May 26th, 2003, 05:51 AM
I'll eat just about anything classified as a food. Although I will rarely eat any meat other than chicken. Once or twice every three months a different animal will get thrown into the mix. I've never had any problem with eating animals. Eating is the only killing I can easily and readily accept. If you are willing to eat it, kill what ever you want. The way I've always seen it, even as a small child, life feeds off life. It's a trapping of existence. Plants are alive too and just because they can't try to get away or scream in pain when killed doesn't devalue their life to me. So, I also have no problem with veal and the like. I thank ALL life that ends for the feeding of mine.

May 26th, 2003, 09:16 AM
I answered the poll with the first choice, but let me elaborate some.
I eat both meat and fruits and veggies.
But, I do not eat refined sugar, such as candy. I also do not eat bread, pasta, cereals, canned food, and almost any boxed food.
I prefer my diet to be mostly FRESH fruits and vegetables.
I also drink in excess of 160 oz's of H2O a day!
I have cut most all addictive substances out of my life also. Cigarettes, caffeine, alchohol, illegal and prescription /OTC drugs.
The only thing I ingest in the form of a pill is my daily mega-vitamin and mineral supplements.
I have found this diet (which I have followed for over a year) to be perfect for me. It may not work for everyone, and it is based on many different diets.
I have lost over 40 lbs. slowly and safely. I have also lost over 5 inches off my waist. I have mucho energy now!
And believe me when I say that in the newly opening world (to me!) of Paganism and the channeling of energies for magickal purposes, this is a big bonus!
I think I've said enough! Thanks for your time if you've read this!
May the Goddess and God bless you wonderfully! PLH!

May 26th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Everyone who has commented so far has given interesting viewpoints, and I thought I would share mine.

Like Greenman said, there are many problems associated with undigested meat. This stuff can stay in your bowels for the rest of your life, and I know this from an Anatomy and Physiology trip I took to a morgue, where I got to have a hands-on experience with a cadaver, and the doctors there informed us that undigested meat simply doesn't move from your intestines. This freaks me out, as well as the chemicals that are often used in meat processing.

I am a vegetarian, and have been for four years. I don't eat meat because I think it's unhealthy and dangerous, not because it's unnatural. I do understand that humans evolved to eat meat, but I think there is a certain awareness that occurs when one realizes they don't *need* to eat meat. For many people, meat is a comfort food and not something that is necessary. I am an extremely healthy person. I eat a lot of protein in the form of homemade soups and bean dishes. I drink glasses of water all day long. I try not to eat too much wheat or dairy, because of digestion problems. My real beef (no pun intended) is with the dairy industry, because dairy is so unhealthy and unnatural.

That said, I really don't have anything against meat-eaters. I never put anyone down for eating meat, despite the many times people have put *me* down for being vegetarian. My cousin is vegetarian and I remember one day when we were out with a meat-eating friend, and she refused to buy him lunch because she disapproved of his diet. So I bought him lunch instead, because I thought she was being rude and inconsiderate. I don't try and stop people from doing what they want to do, and I appreciate being shown that same consideration.

Myrddyn Emrys
May 26th, 2003, 05:49 PM
I'm going to take my leave of this thread.
I bid all those of this thread of the forum adeau.
I see the age old argument starting to occur, and, although I respect others ways, I do not wish to be part of this timeless debate. Medical science can show either way which is the best and healthiest diet for the human body. It all depends on who does the funding for the research.

I am in no way upset at anyone here, but just merely do not wish to get involved any deeper into this tired debate.

Has anyone stopped and concidered that cancer may be hereditary in white lab rats?

Best regards to all...

Myrddyn Emrys

May 26th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Myrddyn Emrys

I'm going to take my leave of this thread.
I bid all those of this thread of the forum adeau.
I see the age old argument starting to occur, and, although I respect others ways, I do not wish to be part of this timeless debate.

I didn't realize anybody was arguing. It seemed to me that we were just talking about our own diets and why we do or do not eat meat. Nobody has insulted anyone else, or tried to convert anyone to "their side." In fact, it's been quite the opposite. So you don't need to leave. ;)

May 26th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Annwn ~ I've been to several cadaver labs myself & have a few more trips ahead of me as I'm taking an antaomy class (the same one that the pre-med students take here at the UofU University). So I hear you when you say that it's not always digested, however how that person choose to live has a very large impact on how their bodies react & I think everything in moderation is an excellent way to live in order to stay happy & healthy :) Now that's not saying that you *must* eat meat to be happy & healthy, that's simply saying if you choose to, eat it wisely.

I think that's awul that your cousin was treated that way, I just don't understand why people would be mean to another simply due to how they have choosen to live their lives. Utah is a prime example of how NOT to treat others lol I love this state but man can is it smoothered in critisizim ~

I would also like to add a side not to this, I did not encourage vegetarians to respond to this to "debate" as such, I just enjoy conversations where people have differing opinions. Not to offend or upset anyone, just to converse :) So I'm sorry that this has made you want to leave Myrddyn Emrys ~ I think if people keep a clear head & judgement out of the way that conversations about topics like this can be quiet informative & fun! Even if you completley disagree w/ the person :)

Edited: *stands tall and yells* I AM THE TYPO QUEEN ~ good grief lol

May 27th, 2003, 10:57 AM
I live on a diet o Chocolate, fudge, cake and truffles!!! :) You don't believe it? Come on round and see my cupboards!!! ;)

May 27th, 2003, 11:12 AM
My approach:

1. Can I digest this?

2. Does it taste good?

If it satisfies those criteria, I eat it (well, with a few exceptions here and there). If it doesn't, I don't. Right now it's approaching lunch time and I'm hungry as hell. What I wouldn't give for a 16 oz. porterhouse right now, medium well, baked potato with butter and bacon bits and a sprinkling of salt, to be washed down with an ice cold beer. Not the lite stuff, either. Makes my valves rattle.

mmmmmm - steak... *emits Homer Simpson-like groan of satisfaction*

May 27th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Valnorran

What I wouldn't give for a 16 oz. porterhouse right now, medium well, baked potato with butter and bacon bits and a sprinkling of salt, to be washed down with an ice cold beer. Not the lite stuff, either. Makes my valves rattle.

mmmmmm - steak... *emits Homer Simpson-like groan of satisfaction*

Order me the same Val, I'll be right there!!! :cheers:

I do eat meat, but not as often as I used to; it's more fish and chicken now and I grew up eating beans and rice (peasant food all the way Baby!). I do love vegetables and I'm getting better on eating fruit. To me, if it can be hunted, it can be eaten... Somebody pass the A-1 ! :dinnertim:

~ Monk ~
May 27th, 2003, 01:53 PM
I avoid most meat, primarily for health reasons but like a lot of other non-meat eaters, I'm very put off by the meat industry and the treatment of animals before they're killed.

As a kid I didn't like most meat and it's carried over into adulthood. I have no problem with meat eating itself, but I do wish we more humane towards "food animals." As a country, if we didn't eat so much meat perhaps we could find a better way. I guess that when I look into a cow's eyes, I don't just see a steak, I see a creature who deserves a better life before becoming a steak. *shrug*

I don't believe we are "meant" to eat meat. In general I just think there's no one diet that's right for everyone.

May 27th, 2003, 02:23 PM
I have a high respect for animals, and I don't agree with methods used when.. processing.. ugh, nasty term.. them. But I do eat meat.

A reason why I'm not eating a lot of it anymore is frankly because I'm not liking the taste of chicken and beef anymore.. and I never liked ham. So all I ever really eat is turkey and fish. Lots of fish.

And besides, I like tofu. Tofu stirfry is one of my favorite meals. :D

Lady Terra

May 27th, 2003, 03:30 PM
I agree with Valnorran!

I do try to eat healthier, but I'm no fanatic. I also don't eat meat that often, maybe one or two times a week, and even then it's chicken, turkey, etc. When I'm visiting my dad it's red meat every night, and that seems to do a number on my system for some reason.

Ah yes, and no pork for me neither. No spiritual reason, it just makes me feel nauseous, which is unfortunate because I love club sandwiches :D.

May 27th, 2003, 03:42 PM
And besides, I like tofu. Tofu stirfry is one of my favorite meals.

oh me too!!! One of my fav. tofu meals is tofu bbq sandwiches.

Bainidhe Dub
June 4th, 2003, 11:00 AM
We've been spoiled as far as beef goes. Our boss gives us half of a free-range, organic what'sit's beef for keeping the computer systems running in the office. The farmer she gets the beef from uses no hormones etc. and butchers himself. None of the frozen, unfrozen, refrozen stuff you get at the grocery store.

You can definitely tell the difference-from the color, to how it cooks, and the taste. Doesn't even need A-1!! Lol.

June 4th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Lady - Every now and again I'll get that pure, perfect beef you speak of and I agree the difference is just amazing. It just melts in your mouth.

Think I'll go for steaks this weekend. :dinnertim

June 5th, 2003, 02:32 AM
I still eat everything, but because of a recent health change, my diet will be changing too, for the better I feel (more veg, less meat)

June 6th, 2003, 05:39 AM
I'm a vegetarian - I don't eat any meat (including fish) but I do eat dairy and eggs. Although I can't remember the last time I actually ate an egg - the only time I really eat egg is if its in something.
I stopped eating meat 2 years ago basically because I think its revolting. I hate the taste of it, and the thought of eating the flesh of a dead animal was too much for me. Plus when I read about how animals raised for meat are treated, I'm glad I'm a vego.

June 6th, 2003, 06:38 AM
I do not eat a lot of meat at all; I have lapses of what I suppose you could call 'accidental vegeterianism' as I can go for weeks without touching any meat. It is not that I have objections to people eating meat or any feeling of moral obligation not to - I just quite simply, don't like it all that much. Meat can be distinctly unpleasant to eat, in my opinion. I have a greater leaning towards fresh vegetables. Oh and I love vegetable soup... *drools* Good stuff. :D

June 6th, 2003, 09:07 AM
We basically try to eat a balanced diet of meat & veggies. I've been trying to incorporate one veggie meal into our diets per week but evertime I do, my hubby states "this would really taste good if it had some sausage with it!" lol

I have a theory on diabetes(type 2) - that corn syrup is in everything and people are getting so used to everything sweetened with the stuff.

We try to avoid corn syrup in products where it doesn't belong - cereal, spaghetti sauce, bread...

I'm a homemaker so I try to make everything from scratch.

We also eat wild game. Venison is very lean and we sub it for beef in meals. Also, we know what the deer are eating (my garden lol) We also raised pheasants and have a huge garden. I can and freeze the bounty so we can enjoy it all winter.

June 7th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I'll eat anything except lima beans.
In fact you better look livley around me or you might be next!
I'm particularly fond of American/Chinese food right now.
I call it American/Chinese because it's really more American then Chinese. I like all Asian Cuisine though. Especially Thai!
Oh now I'm HUNGRY!:bad:

Psyche Ague
June 23rd, 2003, 05:39 PM
I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian (still eat eggs and milk products).

For health reasons and for spiritual reasons I have chosen this path. I don't freak out if I accidentally eat something containing meat and if someone leaves meat products on their plate, I usually finish it for them. I don't believe the death of an animal should go to waste. (This is usually at the cost of being deathly ill from consuming animal products, but I feel my suffering is worth the animal's life.)

June 23rd, 2003, 06:28 PM
Hi. I'm new here (like, about 3 minutes).

I'm a strict vegan.

That's enough about me.

June 24th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Ok I'm what you call pesco-vegitarian
which is kind of a misnomer because I still eat animals, just not mammals and foul.

I choose to change my diet because it would be healtier for me. I get more protein now from tofu and soy products, plus I just like them better.

I also think we eat too much food including meat in the U.S. and a lot of people are starving because of our habits.

June 25th, 2003, 11:56 AM
i am a vegan. :)

i haven't had any dairy for 5 months now.
i haven't had any meat for over ten years.

June 25th, 2003, 11:58 AM
I'm an omnivore all the way, but I like meat a little more.

June 25th, 2003, 02:09 PM
I dont like vegetables :rolleyes: I love meat :bigblue: and fruits

June 25th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Oh, and rice and beans, of course. I you are puertorrican you have to love rice and beans!!!

June 25th, 2003, 02:33 PM
I do not discriminate much. I LOVE food. In fact, I think the only way to keep me from eating is to :gagged: me. I am a type 2 diabetic, so I have to be much more careful about what I eat, and it's not easy... but I am managing.

I don't like unprocessed pork, though. The smell and taste makes me gag :whatgives (pork chops, roast, etc.). Blech.

June 25th, 2003, 02:45 PM
I love pork chops :mmm:
But my favorite is lamb chops
Oh, did I mentioned that I had a lamb as my pet once until my father killed it and we ate it :woah:
Not my fault, I didnt knew it!! He told me that my lamb was killed by some dogs!! :crazy:

June 25th, 2003, 08:08 PM
i eat very little meat. i'll eat meat if it's chopped up into something like a pizza, etc. i don't like the texture of many foods (as a result of my parents not forcing me to "eat my veggies"), so i'm a very picky eater, and my diet is rather unhealthy.

i used to eat no meat at all, but then i got over the whole "animals shouldn't be killed for food" thing when i realized that if humans weren't supposed to eat meat, we simply would NOT be able to. our teeth and digestive systems are made to handle it, and although we dont' NEED it to be healthy, meat/animal products as part of a balanced diet are perfectly healthy.

and for people that say meat is unhealthy, it's not the meat, is how it's cooked that usually makes it unhealthy.

June 26th, 2003, 12:50 AM
What's my diet like? I'm an omnivore.

Why? Because humans are designed to be omnivores. We have the teeth & digestive tracks of omnivores. We have nutritional requirements that can only be met through plants (fiber springs to mind -- none at all in meat!), and other nutritional requirements that can only be met through animals (certain B-vitamins & other enzymes are not found at all in plants).

So, I choose to live in harmony with nature and with my human nature, rather than fight it and try to be something I'm not.

Were I a wolf, i'd be a carnivore.

Were I a deer, I'd be an herbivore.

As I'm human, I'm an omnivore.

August 16th, 2003, 02:29 PM
I'm an omnivore, though I do not eat beef and that's simply because it has way too many calories. I stick to lean ham, chicken, and turkey. I'm also anemic, so me without meat equals a passed out, pale body on the floor.

I do however care deeply about animal cruelty and I do advocate humane treatment of all animals as well as humane slaughtering for those that are used to nourish us.

August 20th, 2003, 03:59 PM
I mainly eat fruits and veggies but every once it a while I'll eat certain kinds of meat. Steaks, burgers, hotdogs, and chicken wings but no fish

August 21st, 2003, 12:06 AM
I eat meat, Im rather fond of it. I have a friend or two that are vegetarian, and hey thats there choice. I usually have it at one or two meals a day, plenty of dairy. But on the other hand I love fruits, most any kind you can name. I like vegetables to, theres some that dont appeal to me though. When I was little I was kept away from sodas, and I have to say that while they can be good I tend to not have that many. Dont eat much fastfood either.

August 21st, 2003, 06:42 AM
I try to stick to mostly vegetarian meals, with occasional meat, (rarely 1-2 week). The rest is mostly fish and chicken.

The reason, is based moslty because of my blood type, and although Iīm not 100% convinced thatīs itīs the right diet for my blood type, I have felt a lot better health wise.

August 21st, 2003, 03:04 PM
I don't think I've EVER been a big meat eater--one of the reasons why I would never be able to do that fad diet that so many around me are on--Atkins! Ugh! I see them eating a lot of nuts and cheese, too. But the amount of meat you consume...meat just does NOT taste all that good to me.

On the rare occasions I have a burger, I have to SLATHER it with condiments (usu mayo and ketchup! *slurp*), otherwise, it doesn't taste good. Same with a hot dog. And I really don't dig roasted chicken (fried is worse b/c of the fried fat!)...which is weird b/c my whooole famdamily is full of freakin' carnivores.

I like meat to "flavor" the dish, not be the main deal. I rarely make meals for my family where meat is the main course. I'm way more of a pasta (and sometimes rice) gal. That's not to say I *don't* eat meat, I do. Just like it better on the side, like most like their veggies, lol. But give me a good green salad, and I'm happier than a pig in slop!

October 19th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I really try hard to be a vegitarian......I love fish so I'm not full by any means.....once in a great while I'll eat a meat product and go oops......lol

October 19th, 2004, 11:00 AM
I voted for the fish, milk, and eggs one even though I don't eat eggs (hate the things). Fish is about the only meat I eat regularly, nowadays, and milk? I need it for my Fruity Pebbles. I'm not a vegan, after all.

October 19th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I eat meat, rice, pasta, vegetables and fruits. :dinnertim

October 19th, 2004, 02:38 PM
I HAVE to have protein. I love tuna and salmon. Filet mignon is awesome but I'm staying away from red meat for personal beliefs and because it has more fat.

October 19th, 2004, 04:04 PM
I'm Vegan. Take a look @ Peta (www.peta.com) and you'll see why. _tomatoe_ _happydanc :bouncybob _whistle_

October 19th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I am a vegetable. Oops, I mean, vegetarian. Haven't eaten animals for 15 or 16 years.

October 19th, 2004, 08:28 PM
i still eat fish and very rarely will eat a bit of turkey, but i'm trying to stop eating any meat at all..i'll get there eventually, lol.

October 20th, 2004, 06:36 AM
I went through a vegetarian phase for about a year and a half, but now I eat meat again. I still do preffer quorn and vegieburgers ;)

Aeon Flux
October 20th, 2004, 12:34 PM
I am a vegan.
I don't eat meat, fish,milk or eggs, and I do not wear leather, fur, wool, or anything like that.

I first started out as a vegetarian.
The reason for that was that I cannot eat meat without severe cramps in my stomach.
I am also sensetive when it comes to milk.

Anyway, after that I became more and more interested in enviromental issues and the rights of animals.
I recently took the full step too vegan after 5 years of vegetarianism.

As I see it, we have come to a point in our evolution where we can create alternatives for ourselves.
We no longer need to kill animals to survive and feel good.
Yet we breed such quanities of animals and treat them like they are soulless and mindless drones instead of living, thinking and feeling animals.
I personally think it is wrong to eat meat, wear other animals skin and buy commercially produced wool products.

But I do not believe that people who think differently from me are evil people.
This is my truth, all my friends, my boyfriend and all of my family are meat eaters, a few of my friends are vegetarians, but I do not know any vegans personally.

I am a vegan because it's the only way for me to feel well with myself and be able to look myself in the face each morning.
It's my way of giving thanks to the earth and world.
And it's not even a sacrefice for me, it's a good thing for my health and my spiritual life. :D

there are my reasons, feelings and believes.
And let's hope Leonardo Da Vinci was right when he said, " the time will come when men such as I look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men."

October 20th, 2004, 01:01 PM
im an omnivore...but i've been thinking about going vego just recently, to see what its like and the effect it has on my health...just makes protein and iron a bit harder to get, oh well. if andrew g can do it and look as good as he does, it cant be that bad!

October 20th, 2004, 01:07 PM
I eat meat and veggies because I can.

Yasmine Galenorn
October 20th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Lots of meat and fruit and vegetables (all pretty much organic). Grains do nasty things to my system, am allergic to some, sensitive to others. Feel best with a lot of animal protein, a lot of fresh produce, minus the plants that also do nasty things to my system. Eat a little rice or rice pasta now and then.

October 20th, 2004, 01:52 PM

I am an ovo-lacto vegeterian, though if it wasn't such a pain in the ass for everyone else I would probably become a full fledged vegan. Living at home still, I prefer to not be such a hassle for my mum.

I'm all for animal rights, don't get me wrong, but I support eating animals fully. Everything in nature depends on another living creature to survive, so to proclaim it is immoral makes me scoff. What I disagree with is that in cooperate America, how the animals are treated when slaughtered. If conditions were to improve and they shown some respect, I might consider eating meat-if condition two was met.

My other reason is that with all the chemicals and hormones they pump into thing these days, I'd rather not have that mess in my system. Vegetable and fruits fall victim to this in many cases, but meat is by far the most common and most extreme of the two. Dairy being right behind it.

In the end, it's really a balance of a disgust by how animals are treated and what sort of vile crap they pump full of everything. Despite the fact that I think Ted Nugent should be run over with many cars, I agree with how he goes about cultivating most of his food and caring for his land. He plants his own trees and enough fruits, vegetables, and so forth to feed his family. He also raises his own animals, but it is all free-range (no doubt he does it because he enjoys hunting-and what's to enjoy if they are caged up?). He skins them and cleans them himself as well, so there is little to worry about what he and his family eats in terms of nasty chemicals being in the food source. From what I've seen and read he tends to respect the animals and their lives are good until they are killed for food, so I support that.

Of course, being poor and living here, that's not going to happen, so ovo-lacto vegeterian it is for now.