PDA

View Full Version : How common is it...

AstraSkye
May 26th, 2003, 05:11 AM
...to refer to the happenings of previous dreams in dreams? I'll try to explain that...

Last night I dreamed that my mother died. In the dream, after her death, my boyfriend and I were in my livingroom, and I asked him how he handled his mother's death.

My boyfriend's mother is alive and kicking. However, several months ago, I had a dream in which we found out his mother had died, and this was the dream I referred to in my dream, and the happenings of that previous dream were clear in my mind in the dream I had last night.

Do I make sense?

Chanda
May 26th, 2003, 05:23 AM
It happens to me. Sometimes I'll have a dream that uses knowledge from a previous dream or is a continuation of a previous dream. It only happens sometimes...

Peace,
Chanda.

Tarbh Nathroch
May 26th, 2003, 05:29 AM
You make sense to me. I have had dreams where one would be part of another in one way or another. I've found with others that lucent dream on a regular basis that the dreams can defiantly interact, overlap, and reference others just like chapters in a book can refer to other chapters. Do you always remember your dreams? Are you an active participant or do you just watch them? I've always been aware and can actively manipulate things in my dreams. I thought this was how it was for everyone when I was growing up. If you are the same way or have recently developed this skill I think you find that dreams will interrelate a lot.

AstraSkye
May 26th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Tarbh Nathroch

Do you always remember your dreams?

I remember most dreams, but sometimes I just remember fragments. I'm keeping a dream journal, and I try to write down as much as I possibly can. Some dreams I remember for days or weeks afterwards, some I forget seconds after waking up...

Are you an active participant or do you just watch them?

Both. Sometimes I can change between being the participant or the watcher in the same dream.

If you are the same way or have recently developed this skill I think you find that dreams will interrelate a lot.

I think I'm new to this... I will, however, try dream manipulation. ;) Seems interesting...

Tarbh Nathroch
May 26th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by AstraSkye

I think I'm new to this... I will, however, try dream manipulation. ;) Seems interesting...

I find it incredibly fun. You can relive past experiences, and do different things. It's almost like seeing an alternate time line or reality for your life. Being able to fly is a winning feature. I even love nightmares, especially the really good(bad) ones. I think nightmares are my favorite. I sometimes will willingly strip myself of 'power' so to speak to give it that extra kick of terror and helplessness. Monsters just aren't all that scary when you know you can just turn it into a dog and take it boating on that lake of lava. The only nightmares that get to me are ones that family or pets get killed or hurt, because I can always stop it in a dream but in real life...no. The only drawback I can think of is that the whole dream as a vision thing is taken from me. Since I am always aware that I am dreaming and can do anything I want I don't feel that any dream is vision, or any kind of psychic message or precog. If ya know what I mean????

Ahautenites
May 26th, 2003, 11:13 AM
I have a fragmented, confused, and yet very unique, contiguous, separate life in about half of my dreams. (The other half have no relation to any other dream.) I remember things from previous dreams and apply them to current dreams. **shrugs** Dream-me has her life, and I've got mine. :)

Joshua
May 26th, 2003, 01:15 PM
It's not uncommon. I'll have "sequel" dreams for lack of a better term. They usually happen within the same night but can occur sometimes months or years after the original dream. As a child I had yearly dreams, that is, the same dream around the same time every year.

As for dream manipulation, that can be very cool. I've used it to get out of nightmares. Definitely try it.

Siarlas
May 26th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Know exactly what you mean. I often find that I've have a dream which either had a previous dream as a reference, or just continued on from a previous dream. I won't even realize this till after I've thought the current dream well through. Sometimes it won't be till days later that I realize. I've also .. umm... re-dreamt something, but it turns out different... or something.