PDA

View Full Version : understanding

Initiate Steamcircle
June 4th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Ever since I first decided to be a Wiccan, I've noticed that, if someone fines out, they call me a devil worshipper. I explain to them that I don't believe in Satan, and give my blessings to the God and Goddess. They stare at me, then call me Devil worshipper and walk off. Now, I could ignore them, but a lot of these people are my friends. What do I do to get them to understand?

Semele
June 4th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Initiate Steamcircle

Ever since I first decided to be a Wiccan, I've noticed that, if someone fines out, they call me a devil worshipper. I explain to them that I don't believe in Satan, and give my blessings to the God and Goddess. They stare at me, then call me Devil worshipper and walk off. Now, I could ignore them, but a lot of these people are my friends. What do I do to get them to understand?

Why bother? I know that sounds harsh but really, their opinions can't harm you. The best way to show them that you aren't evil is by example. Try not to sacrifice too many goats in their presence! (joking of course!)

Just, maybe don't discuss religion with them until they are ready to accept it, which sadly, may be never. Good Luck!

mol
June 4th, 2003, 04:28 PM
As Semele said, go by example. You cant please everyone and labels like that are tools of the ignorant. I personally would just say, "Well, then a big Two-Horned Hail to ya! Lets go listen to some King Diamond."

Initiate Steamcircle
June 4th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Oh, I love you guys! lol Anyways, I have just ignored them, the last time one of my "friends" made fun of my religiopn, I got hot around the collar and we ended up on the ground, but we made up.

Tarbh Nathroch
June 6th, 2003, 02:52 AM
I know it can really suck when people you like act like this or call you a devil worshiper. Try not to take it personally, it's just ignorance and a reflex action to try to keep the herd together. If they are friends they will come around when they see how you live, if not cut em lose. You don't need mean people in your life.

WillowSageheart
June 21st, 2003, 12:56 AM
That's actually how I got my start. I saw someone wearing a pentacle and asked her why she worshipped satan. She turned out to be a High Priestess, and she was very cool about it. Seems like 100 years ago now, but if it hadn't been for my total ignorance - and big mouth - and her patience and guidance, I don't know where I would be now.

In short, you know who and what you are. It doesn't matter what others think, and you never know when some punk kid will open his/her mouth and you can be the hand that leads that person to find their own path, or at least understanding.

Flar's Freyja
June 21st, 2003, 01:09 AM
Why bother? I know that sounds harsh but really, their opinions can't harm you. The best way to show them that you aren't evil is by example. Try not to sacrifice too many goats in their presence! (joking of course!)

Just, maybe don't discuss religion with them until they are ready to accept it, which sadly, may be never. Good Luck!

What she and everyone else said. Even after I became pagan, I had a negative impression of Satanism - I'd never bothered to study it much because of the scary and negative stereotypes. Thanks to a few members on this board, I'm more informed and more tolerant. My negative impression came from the same lack of understanding that you're encountering.

Williwaw
June 24th, 2003, 12:32 AM
I can totally relate. I've been a member of a message board for about 4 years now, there are a lot of regulars there. We discuss family matters and such. Well there was a lot of religion debate going on a few months back, that's how I discovered Wicca and Paganism in general. Several of the members are Wiccan and I asked them for more information.

The foul emails I received from those claiming to be good Christains astounded me. First off, why should they care what religion I choose for myself? I was told I was "evil" and despite what I was taught by the other Wiccans, that all forms of Paganism are satanic in nature and I'll burn in h*ll. Every day I still get comments like this, I've tried to explain what Paganism REALLY is about, but they will not listen.

So...I say don't worry about what others say to you. Most of the time it's said out of compelete ignorance. I know I really didn't have a clue as to what Paganism was until I asked those board members. Imagine how surprised I was when I found out that I ALREADY shared those beliefs, I just didn't have a label for them. Real friends will not belittle you or your beliefs just because they are different than theirs.

Gina

pagecrdd
June 24th, 2003, 09:13 PM
your experiences are the exact reason in which i refuse to raise my children in any form of 'organized' religion, such as catholic etc.

years ago before i discovered my 'choosen path' i studied many religions. even when i attended churchs, from catholic to seventh day adventist, i was told that doing so was evil. we were not put here to question our religion! we were to follow and strive to be like god, which basically meant literal interpretaion of the bible and following a clergy etc.

it was at that point that i decided to start studying paganism. for me it allowed the freedom to learn and find my own path rather than follow a path laid out for me by a physical human being who had to be 'liscenced' to teach the almighty word of the lord.

i do not down, nor judge others for their beliefs and i expect the same respect, so the best adive is to ignore ignorance and be who you are :)