PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Baseball Fans

eaglewolf
June 5th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Okay, I know there are a few baseball fans on the site... some even as crazy about the game as myself...

Perhaps ya'll would like to share your favorite team(s) and give a little insight to your baseball ties (do/did you play, just like to watch, absolutely despise it) that sort of thing...

I wont crack on you, unless you are a Yankee fan, of course... JK!

I will start with a little...

Favorite team...

Seattle Mariners all the way baby!

I have been a fan of Seattle since around 1992. I grew up in the Seattle area and have always felt a tie to them.

Favorite player(s)...

Pitcher - Jamie Moyer
Position Player - Ichiro

Favorite aspect of the game...

Pitching - I have always been fascinated with pitching, though I really don't know why(?)

Baseball ties...

I played baseball in highschool and have done some coaching at the little league level...

...mostly, I am a bigtime FAN. I love to watch the game, talk the game, play the game... whatever!

~ew

MammaStar
June 5th, 2003, 01:42 PM
HEY!!!! Us Yankee fans are valid baseball fans!!! :lol:

Anyhoo...guess who my fave team is? Yup the Yanks.

I've been a Yankee fan for as long as I can remember. My Mom would tell me that my Uncle would sit with me in my grandparents living room explaining the game to me. He was the one that brought me to my first game down in Da Bronx too.

My all time favorite team? The 1978 Yankees
Favorite Player: Thurman Munson, The Captain.

I've been playing since I was 6 years old in Little League. I played all through high school and college and now play in a co-ed league. My son had a bat and glove before he was a month old. He's just as big a fan as I am. I've coached girls and adults.

What do I like about the game? Lots of things. I like the history. The sense of legacy. This sport has been around for over 100 years now.

I'm not good statistics. I freely admit that I have very high standards when it comes to players and it's hard when one of them, espeically if it's someone I look up to, does something stupid.

I like going to the ball park walking out of the tunnel and seeing the sun shine down on the crisp pinstripe uniforms. The smell of the grass and hotdogs.

I love the look on my son's face when he sees his favorite player get up and knock one out.

I love how even when me & my younger brother are fighting about something, we can still talk about baseball and the Yankees. Baseball (softball really) made us closer. We played on a co-ed team together for three years.

I love this sport. Always have, always will.

~ Monk ~
June 5th, 2003, 02:57 PM
I'll offer a non-fan's viewpoint. :D

I don't hate baseball, but for the most part it doesn't do anything for me. I've tried to get into it and appreciate it more but one thing I can't get past is that, for the most part, I find it to be boring. Regular season games tend to draaaaag for me. I guess the pace of the game is generally just to slow for my taste.

I do like the playoffs because every game means something. I appreciate the history of the game. I enjoy a good pitching duel, and I love the Cubs/Sox series. I think baseball should work to quicken the game up more, and expand the playoffs to include more teams. I know - it goes against tradition. But if more teams had a shot it would generate a lot more interest, IMHO.

eaglewolf
June 5th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Shpongle

...I think baseball should work to quicken the game up more...

...and expand the playoffs to include more teams...

Actually, speeding up the games is high on the list of baseball officials... expanding the strike zone, speeding up mound visits, pitcher delivery times, etc...

Not long ago, MLB expanded the playoffs from two to now three division winners plus a wildcard team from each league...

...all in an effort to cure some of these problems.

Baseball is a slow game, enjoyed mostly throughout the regular season by die hard fans alone... it's the type of game that you must appreciate every aspect of (stats, streaks, corked bats et al) in order to enjoy on a regular basis.

:D

~ew

MammaStar
June 5th, 2003, 03:46 PM
When Yankee games go on forever here...and believe me there have been some doozy's....the one commentator at the end of the game always says "an unmanagable <insert time here>"

The other day, Sunday. The Yanks went for 17 INNINGS!!!! SEVENTEEEN!!!!!! They were supposed to win that one...give Roger his 300th and be done...but noooooooooooooooooo

dang our bullpen just STINKS!!!!

I feel the 80's comin' on.....All you non-Yankee fans will be sitting there laughing at me!!! But I don't care....I've weathered the storm of the Yanks being a bad team before, I can do it again.

Gods, I love this game. Tonite is little league for us. My son, who is trying to be a pitcher, plays tonite.

My co-worker's son, Tim Sabo, played for Seton Hall this past Spring and will be playing in the Cape Cod league this summer. He's a kid to watch. He got drafted last year, 40-something round to Cleveland, but he opted for college instead. He pitches between 93-98 miles per hour. Yup, he's that good.

~ Monk ~
June 5th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Well, the Cubs/Yanks series should be a good one. If I can, I *will* watch these games.

eaglewolf
June 5th, 2003, 03:58 PM
The team you love to hate... unless you are a Yankees fan, of course...

~ew

MammaStar
June 5th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Kinda like the Red Sox.

I LOATHE the Red Sox. Which is why I am no fan of Mr. Clemens. I look at him and think "Dirty Red Sox, get off my team" It's sad, I know, but that's the way I am. :lol:

eaglewolf
June 5th, 2003, 04:12 PM
See... I think Roger is a great ball player, no matter which team he plays for...

That's the difference between Yankees fans and... well... everyone else... lmao! JK!

I think most fans have a player or two that they feel the same way about...

~ew

MammaStar
June 5th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Yeah, on the other hand....I totally admire players like:

Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez
Randy Johnson
and the Great Cal Ripken, Jr.

I still follow Tino Martinez who was a Mariner, then a Yankee, and now is a Cardinal. St. Louis is coming into the Bronx to play ON MY B-DAY!!! Do you think ANYONE in my family got me a ticket.....noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Lady Tana
June 28th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Favorite team...

Seattle Mariners all the way baby!

GO M'S!!!

ok edited to add answers....

duh on the favorite team LMAO :lol:
baseball ties... hmmmmm.... *thinking....smoke happening* no ties.. just like to watch.. and scream obscenities at the other teams (and sometimes ours) scared to play cuz the ball are HARD... OW!!

Fav player... thats easy.. EDGAR!!!!!! forever and ever... hes sooo sweet!! ("It's a Bat.... It's a Light Bat"....roflmao!! sorry... local ad a few years back)

Fav position... :geez: thats wrong... hahahah

oh yeah...
one of my 'collection' from a few years ago.. sorry its so bluuuuurrrryyyy... its Jay

Theres
June 28th, 2003, 07:41 PM
i was at Candlestick the week it opened (1960), and the Giants last season there ('98).

i was there the day that Bobby Bonds made his major league debut... a grand slam in his first at bat! hadfn't been done since 1905.
i saw both Willie's, McCovey and Mays, Gaylord Perry, all the greats.
i love the game, and i love the Giants!

and fortunately, being a Bay Area sports fan, i got to see two of the greatest players in their respective sports take my teams to the top... Barry Bonds and Joe Montana.
it doesn't get any better than that, baby!

(and F*#K the Dodgers!)

Old Witch
June 28th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Atlanta Braves Fan here......

Been a fan ever since they moved to Atlanta.......

Favorite player......Dang, that's hard......Andrew Jones...because I saw him play when he was playing for the Macon Braves when he first came on the scene, they were in town playing our Augusta Greenjackets.......But I also like Marcus Giles

Favorite Pitcher...John Smoltz

Favorite player of all time....Pete Rose

I just love baseball

Baseball ties....
Two of my sons played HS ball.....one played some semi pro...
My husband has been coaching baseball and Softball ........he started coaching our oldest son some 26 years ago in Dixie Youth Baseball...... now he coaches at the High School level.....once coached the JV team and now he coaches the Softball team at North Augusta High School. He and our oldest son were named Recreation Coaches of the year in 2000 for N Augusta, SC.

Baseball is a way of life at our house......Sons and I have "meaningful" baseball conversations every day.....Matter of fact, I'm watching the Braves as I type....5-3 Tampa Bay.......... :sadeyes:

KaliHobbit
July 4th, 2003, 03:27 AM
i love the game, and i love the Giants!

and fortunately, being a Bay Area sports fan, i got to see two of the greatest players in their respective sports take my teams to the top... Barry Bonds and Joe Montana.
it doesn't get any better than that, baby!

(and F*#K the Dodgers!)

I pretty much grew up at the stick, I remember being so small I could sleep under the seats! I'm a diehard Giants fan, just had a great time at Pac Bell on Saturday (we beat the A's) and will be heading back for the Arizona series pretty soon. I know what you mean about watching the greats play. I've seen Bonds hit a lot of homeruns, and yet everytime I can't help but be amazed. We are so blessed to be able to watch him on a regular basis, his spash hits are MONSTERS!:)
Also my best friend is a big A's fan which makes for a fun rivalry. I've been to a bunch of A's game this year and had a great time whatching Zito, Mulder and Huddy pitch. Zito's got the most amazing curve ball!

All I can say about the Dodgers is.... well it's to impolite to say but you catch my drift;)